Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Will the Stock 5.4L in a Lariat Stand up to a Lightning Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Squiggy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will the Stock 5.4L in a Lariat Stand up to a Lightning Kit?

I got a 1999 Ford F-150 with the 5.4L engine, I want more power in it so I am turning to a Lightning Kit for this extra power. I want to know if my existing drivetrain will handle this extra power as well as the stock 5.4 engine block. I have the 4r70w trans I believe, as well as 7700 rear differential, like the ones in the 7700 package, except with 5 bolt instead of 8. Everything is in good working order. Anyone know where to get a kit like this, and how much it is? Price really doesnt matter. Thanks alot. Chris.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:54 PM
cass0825b
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It takes alot of work to convert a stock 5.4L to a lightning. The engine is a high compression ratio, and is not nearly as boost friendly. Also, i would worry about the tranny. If you want a simple, and easy way to increase power, go with a kit from Kenne Bell.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Squiggy
Senior User
So a lightning engine isnt remotely the same as far as particulars go... well thats good to know, and I did check out the Kenne Bell Page, looked up a 2200cc supercharger prefect for my application. Increases HP by 110 hp and Torque by 130 right across the scale. (2000RPM - Redline) So I think for what I want ill be looking into that setup for sure, comes with a pump booster for the transmission as well as a superchip for the computer. Not bad for 3800 bucks... (depends how fast you say it, lol.)

Old 09-25-2006, 10:06 PM
cass0825b
Senior User
I have seen the kenne bell kit on an expedition, they work good. Also had a kenne bell on my old cobra. The motors are only slightly different, but so much with the blower is different, that to piece it together would be a pain in the ***

Old 09-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Squiggy
Senior User
Now, how would head gaskets, pistons, and the crank do? I hear the 5.4L has a Forged Steel Crankshaft... In the 2004's, but how far back do they do that for the 5.4L? What size is the Intake Valves and Exhaust Valves? I want good info on this engine. I know its the PI version of the 5.4L better heads and cam, but tell me something good about it. I like that engine a helluva lot. Let me know, Thanks.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:06 PM
cass0825b
Senior User
the 5.4 in the lariat is basically the same as the L, with higher compression(9.5 vs 8.4), and different cams. I dont know the specs on the cams. The crank is forged, the pistons are forged, the rods are forgerd powder metal, and only good to about 450-475 RWHP with a good tune. The crank was the same from 99 and on, possibly farther back, but i dont know. Obviously, the injectors, Mass air flow meter and such are different on the lightning.
The lightning Valves are as follow
44.5mm for intake
36mm for exhaust
I cant find specs on the Normal 5.4L

Old 09-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Squiggy
Senior User
So the lightning shares the same heads or no? What would the lightning make for power without a power adder (blower) ? Near the same as the regular 5.4L ? If the cams are different is it possible to change out a regular 5.4L with a set of Lightning Engine cams ? Is the lightning engine SOHC, or DOHC ? I really wonder, Will the heads bolt up and work ?

5.4L 330 or 5.0L 302 to build up in the truck they ran in (ie. 96 F150/99 F150) ?????

Old 09-30-2006, 01:20 PM
captchas
do a goggle search for johnny lightening he runs a lightening only shop in Pa. a nd holds many lightening racing records. john sure can set you up with all the information you need.

one big thing a lightening runs a 4r100 trans. not that your 4r70 can't be beefed up to take a lot more. then stock.

good luck i hope you wind up with a super hauler of a rig.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:58 PM
pronstar
Elder User
I personally know 4 people who have put L blowers on their 5,4L engines with great success. Including this guy:
http://madenterprise.com/scparts.htm
...who sells all of the parts you'll need to make work.
(He has since put 4-valve Navigator heads onto his truck, and now has a Whipple.)
And it''s not really that tough to install, they are geniune Ford parts.

If you search all of the Ford truck forums out there, you'll fine literally dozens of folks who have done this to great success.

Your truck is basically the same engine as a Lightning except for the pistons. Lightnings have lower comression ratios, and I believe the pistons are forged. The heads, crank, connecting rods are all the same.
Your tranny will be fine, but I recommend a tranny cooler and valve body.

These trucks are very stout. I run 10.5 psi with a Procharger and I've got 130K miles. You won;t run boost quite that high with a Lightning blower, but you'll make good power. You should make around 340hp to the rear wheels. And a ton of low-end torque.

Here's a video of my buddy's truck. He's got Lightning blower these days, as in the vids, though he started with a Procharger back in the day:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v329/RaidersScrew/?action=view&current=NVEExport.flv

You'll need a chip with a custom tune but the files exist for this, so you can just get a generic tune of get a custom dyno tune, which is typically preferred and should make more power.

Last edited by pronstar; 09-30-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:55 PM
cass0825b
Senior User
as for captchas, the tranny in the Standard F-150 can be built to handle a great deal of power if need be.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:38 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cass0825b
the 5.4 in the lariat is basically the same as the L, with higher compression(9.5 vs 8.4), and different cams. I dont know the specs on the cams. The crank is forged, the pistons are forged, the rods are forgerd powder metal, and only good to about 450-475 RWHP with a good tune. The crank was the same from 99 and on, possibly farther back, but i dont know. Obviously, the injectors, Mass air flow meter and such are different on the lightning.
The lightning Valves are as follow
44.5mm for intake
36mm for exhaust
I cant find specs on the Normal 5.4L
The Cams are identical on all PI headed vehicles-4.6L cars & trucks,and all of the PI headed 5.4L's.The cylinder heads are also identical in every way to the N/A 5.4L cylinder head.
The crankshafts are the same as the N/A 5.4L,as are the rods-the pistons are the only internal difference.Basically-with a Lightning you get a SC kit on top of a N/A 5.4L shortblock that has forged/lower compression pistons.
JL

Old 11-01-2006, 01:36 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
The crankshafts are the same as the N/A 5.4L,as are the rods-the pistons are the only internal difference.Basically-with a Lightning you get a SC kit on top of a N/A 5.4L shortblock that has forged/lower compression pistons.
JL

Negative..........Ford went with a cast crank after '99 on all 5.4's EXCEPT the Lightning.

http://www.pera.org/CoreTalk/eb10324.htm

"Letters A and B are pretty simple: A is the original steel 5.4L crankshaft (c/n F75-IE, F75-E) beginning in 1997, and has bullnose rounded edges on both leading and trailing edges of the counterweights. Produced at the Windsor plant, the 5.4L has an 8-bolt flywheel flange. Letter B is the cast 5.4L crankshaft (c/n XL3E BA) and it came in all 1999 applications including the DOHC Navigator. According to the parts information, the only application that still retained the steel forging was the F150 Lightning supercharged engine. The steel crankshaft, however, will interchange for all 5.4L applications"

Last edited by DOHCmarauder; 11-01-2006 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:51 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
Negative..........Ford went with a cast crank after '99 on all 5.4's EXCEPT the Lightning.

http://www.pera.org/CoreTalk/eb10324.htm

"Letters A and B are pretty simple: A is the original steel 5.4L crankshaft (c/n F75-IE, F75-E) beginning in 1997, and has bullnose rounded edges on both leading and trailing edges of the counterweights. Produced at the Windsor plant, the 5.4L has an 8-bolt flywheel flange. Letter B is the cast 5.4L crankshaft (c/n XL3E BA) and it came in all 1999 applications including the DOHC Navigator. According to the parts information, the only application that still retained the steel forging was the F150 Lightning supercharged engine. The steel crankshaft, however, will interchange for all 5.4L applications"
So,that explains why I've seen firsthand several Lightning engines torn down for buildups with CAST cranks in them.
Hmm....makes perfect sense to trust an aftermarket rebuilder's reference.
JL

Old 11-01-2006, 07:17 AM
snah
New User
Thumbs up

I have a 2002 lightning supercharger for sale if anyone is interested,

The supercharger has only 10miles on it and comes with the Mad Mike lightning kit.$3800.00 OBO.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:07 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
So,that explains why I've seen firsthand several Lightning engines torn down for buildups with CAST cranks in them.
Hmm....makes perfect sense to trust an aftermarket rebuilder's reference.
JL

If you have, then Ford screwed the pooch on those people.....Ford, in all its literture/releases has ALWAYS claimed the Lightning to have the forged crank.

After '99, (to save money????) the non-blown.....or NOT-Lightning motors have the cast cranks.

Quick Reply: Will the Stock 5.4L in a Lariat Stand up to a Lightning Kit?