Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

New Toyota full size good for Ford build quality?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why folks think that the Tundra is such a quality truck. Have any of you ever been to a Tundra website? They've got problems out the backside. They aren't as good as most of the Ford trucks. Hey, I got the right to complain- I've got a lemon and zero help from Ford but I darn sure ain't blind and stupid. The Tundra is going to have to prove itself against the F-150 and that's no easy feat. Just because Toyota has had such great luck with the Camry and the 80's model Tacoma doesn't mean that the current production trucks are any good. I wouldn't have one- at any price. Maintenance is incredible, you can ask my little brother. A steering box is $4,000.00, a tie rod end on the truck is $800.00!? Hey, I make good money but I'm not dumb enough to give it to Toyota for grossly over priced parts that don't last any longer than those on a Ford. And in Texas, you can't buy any Toyota with out having to buy one of their Preferred Mileage packages. Try $1500.00 for a wax job, scotchguard, and free tire rotation. No thanks, you won't see a Toyota at my house.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:15 AM
RickF350
Senior User
Well,I have noticed a few parts are not aligned correctly on my truck. The first thing I noticed was my suicide doors were not flush with each other so I fixed it. I then noticed my front bumper was 1/2" off so I fixed that too. While installing molded mud guards on the truck I noticed the bed or axle is out of alignment as the rear tires do not have the same coverage. I love the shape,ride,features and stoutness of my 05 F350 PSD but I'm disappointed with the employees that threw it together.

Old 02-11-2006, 06:56 AM
iwisha350
Freshman User
Rust?

My father just bought a F-250 xlt 4x4 a few months back.His last truck was a '97 F 150.That was a great truck.He is a Ironworker so his trucks get dirty from work, and we live in Cleveland-SALT- but we still have the 150 and there is no rust at all on it,scratches dings and dents but no rust, chrome bumpers and all.Only one winter with the 250,and winter is not even over yet here and there is a very noticeable amount of rust on the bumpers already.What the hell is that!? He is going to take the truck in on monday.I think it has 4000 miles on it now.Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 02-11-2006, 07:20 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never seen rust on any SD ever. Never seen rust on a '99+ F-150 either.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:00 AM
iwisha350
Freshman User
I dont know, maybe its was just a set of bad bumpers.The guy at the dealership told my dad over the phone that they havent had that problem before so they will replace them under warranty.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:48 AM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 97 F-150 is put together, fit and finish, better than my g/f's 2003 Nissan Xterra.
No rust, no cracks in the doors, no rattles.....the thing is tight.

Just turned 155k miles too.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by NickFordMan
Never seen rust on any Never seen rust on a '99+ F-150 either.
I have seen once

Old 02-11-2006, 06:10 PM
DD1684
Elder User
Just because Toyota made good trucks back in the 80s and 90s doesn't mean they're still in par with today's quality standards. That's like everybody thinking Nike makes the best shoes. I've had Nikes and they ALL fall apart! I've definitely seen a fair share of Toyota trucks with problems. I'll never buy one of those Japanese toilets.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:24 PM
edgl
Elder User
DD1684, thank you. Buy American!

Old 02-14-2006, 08:14 PM
mschultz
Senior User
Originally Posted by edgl
I have a 06 F350 dually. The body does not have bad body gaps. It is built very well. It has zero rattles. People better start supporting America. It seems to me that people go out of their way to knock American products, so they can buy foreign vehicles like Toyota. The great Toyota. Well Toyota does not have a heavy duty truck like the F350. I also have a 06 Silverado 1500 for home use, and it is a very nice truck too. I don't have any problems with either truck. You Ford guys knock Chevy, but they also make nice trucks. Chevy is the last American truck company along with Ford. When they go under, we will at the mercy of Toyota, and Nissan. I will support American companies first.
Ed G
FYI- The new Toyota full size has more US parts and labor in it than your Chevy. Your Ford has a lot of Mexican parts content. Defining what an "American" company is today is not as easy as your suggest. I am all for supporting Ford- In return for my support, I expect a higher quality truck.

-Mike

Old 02-14-2006, 08:29 PM
mschultz
Senior User
Originally Posted by tmyers
I sorry I just don't see that. Every manufacture will have there odd *****. Overspray is a fact in the automotive industry and in restoring a car to original condition is something that is looked for. People want perfect gaps. What do you think you are buying a show quality vehilce, its a truck. Everyone want an orange peel free paint job. Sorry if its painted in this country not going to happen regardless of company.
I respectfully disagree. Dollar for dollar, I see no reason for Ford to do an inferior job of assembly in the US than Daimler-Chrysler does in Mexico. I am NOT saying the Dodge is a better truck. I am saying that if you inspect the two trucks closely, side by side, you will notice that Daimler does a better job of assembly. The panel gaps are consistent. The seams are tighter and better sealed. The paint quality is better and there is, contrary to your assertion, no overspray.

Further, you seem to suggest that overspray is a fact of life for US assembled products. Again, I disagree. Toyota, Nissan, Daimler and BMW all have US manufacturing facilities. And while the price point on some of those products is admittedly higher than a common Ford truck, there are plenty examples of cheaper vehicles, built for less and finished to a better level of quality. Even GM has come a long way- if you carefully inspect a new Trailblazer or Tahoe, you will notice the panel gaps are much tighter than in the heavy line of Ford trucks. I expect for to follow suit when the new truck arrives.

One writer noted that he saw none of the troubles I mentioned on his F-150. A very good point. I think the 150’s currently enjoy a much better level of fit and finish than the Super Duty’s. A fact I attribute to both better manufacturing AND more competition in that market segment.

Ford has the opportunity to take a step forward in terms of product quality with the new truck. I hope that instead of having to make excuses, we can continue to support the company because, once again, they make a better truck than anyone else.

Oh yeah- And a place to hang my fuel cap (like every other manufacturer) when I am fueling so it doesn’t collect dirt and grim from the side of the bed and transfer it into my fuel neck would be a good idea.

-Mike

Old 02-14-2006, 08:30 PM
mschultz
Senior User
Originally Posted by Octane
I hope that Ford will take heed of the new Tundra and will make quality job 1.
I doubt it though, look what I found on NYSE.com:
http://www.nyse.com/interface/jsp/NH...sdowjones=true
Its an arrogant attitude like that which caused the domestics to lose the domestic car market.
Ford needs to wake up and realize that Toyota is very serious about taking over the domestic truck market.
I think you are totally correct.

-Mike

Old 02-14-2006, 08:36 PM
mschultz
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigF350
I think Ford (internally) is aware of the threat of Toyota, and are willing to up themselves to the challenge. Have a look at the current F-150, I don't think I have seen Ford build a better truck EVER.

They may say things publicly, like we don't think they can touch us. Could you imagine them saying "We think the Tundra is undoubtably the best vehicle in the segment, and its going to sell more than the current F-150"
Good point. The F-150 is a great product for the segment. And I think it is where it is because Nissan is posed to eat Ford's lunch.

You have choices when it comes to the 1/2 truck market. And I think that choices in the heavy truck market will force Ford to do a better job.

-Mike

Old 02-14-2006, 08:40 PM
mschultz
Senior User
Originally Posted by NickFordMan
Never seen rust on any SD ever. Never seen rust on a '99+ F-150 either.
Sounds to me like you should stick your savings into Ford stock.

-Mike

Old 02-14-2006, 08:44 PM
mschultz
Senior User
Originally Posted by DD1684
Just because Toyota made good trucks back in the 80s and 90s doesn't mean they're still in par with today's quality standards. That's like everybody thinking Nike makes the best shoes. I've had Nikes and they ALL fall apart! I've definitely seen a fair share of Toyota trucks with problems. I'll never buy one of those Japanese toilets.
Well, you may be interested to know that the full size Toyota is built in the USA by proud Texans. The parts content of my Ford is largely from Mexico. And my neighbors Dodge was built in Mexico.

Welcome to 2006 boys- your old sterotypes no longer fit.

-Mike

Quick Reply: New Toyota full size good for Ford build quality?