General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Just gave blood-almost passed out

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 12:59 PM
weeds
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just gave blood-almost passed out

Just wondering if it's happened to anyone else. I think I'm done giving blood now, this is the 2nd time that it's happened, so I'm just gonna take it as a sign.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:07 PM
ChurchTurtle
Elder User
yup.

Rather embarrassing. And I gave once more after that, then was told I could no longer give because of the medication I was on. Didn't exactly break my heart

Old 02-09-2006, 01:14 PM
amish77
Cargo Master
don't look at the bag. That helps

Old 02-09-2006, 01:16 PM
weeds
Senior User
I don't have a problem with the blood. Any time I give blood or get it taken for tests, I can sit there & watch it. I actually think it's funny watching it run into the little vials for the tests.

My problem is with the needles. If I can feel the needle, I'm done. That's what happened this time, when I was making a fist & my arm flexed, the needle moved.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Ruger01
Freshman User
Some people have a hard time giving, Be sure to eat something before you give and let the person drawing the blood know you have had a problem before. They can put an ice pack behind your neck, this helps. Only about 5% of the population donates blood. One donation saves 3 lives. If you choose not to donate again, please encourage someone to donate.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Grandpa's1983
Senior User
I've never passed out, but I gave blood a couple of months ago and now the Red Cross won't stop calling me. I would have gone to give again but I've been sick and
on medication so I can't until I am off the meds. But they keep calling me at home and
at work.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:14 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
I have a rare blood type (B+) so they are always calling me and sending me fliers in the mail. Never even felt like passing out though, except after the first time I gave and they told me not to smoke for 2 hours and as soon as I got back in my car I lit one up. That was an interesting feeling.

Last edited by MustangGT221; 02-09-2006 at 06:42 PM. Reason: removed weed reference.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Smaug
Posting Guru
Just let the nurse know you get 'quesy', they'll give you a wet rag and adj the seat. I have to do it everytime I give but it's worth it.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:18 PM
weeds
Senior User
Well, mine is AB+. First time I gave at school with Central Blood Bank, and they kept hounding me. I guess they got the point when I didn't show up for 3 appts. I'll normally participate in blood drives, but I never have 2 hours to spend getting there, going through the questions, giving blood, and waiting around afterwards.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:53 PM
cschwer
New User
Last time I went, I almost passed out as well. I started feeling real bad and I said "excuse me" and they ignored me then I said "EXCUSE ME" and they said what and I said I was gonna pass out. So they put ice packs under my shirt and put a fan on me. I'm pretty sure it was their fault though,, I was the last person of the day and apparently they were in a hurry to go home cause when the blood started coming out it was too slow for them so they put a bp cuff on my arm and pumped it up a little to get the blood flowing faster. The crappy part too is that i had the bag filled up about 3/4 and they disconnected it. Since it wasnt full they couldnt use it.. wasted my blood. I would go back but I would have to be earlier in the day. They havent called though.

Chuck

Old 02-09-2006, 04:56 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in college, my freinds and I would hookup and race to see who could pump fastest. The best part however was going to the bars that night and gettoing trashed off a few beers cause of being low on blood

Old 02-09-2006, 05:07 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Wow, you fainted when you felt the needle move? That's a first for me. I've heard of fainting afterwards because the body is drained and needs to recharge. I almost passed out once after donating plasma. Thank goodness for Gatorade and a good working air conditioner in my truck. There's no shame in that happening to you. Though I would think that the medical personnel would not want somebody donating if the feel of the needle causes them to loose it?

The only problems I have is when the people can't get my GIANT vein with the first stick. Man, I've had people miss it several times. It don't feel good. I can remember feeling the angled needletip scrapping the insidewalls of my vein as the techs had to rotate it for better blood flow. I'll never forget the time they broke through the vein. It didn't hurt too bad, but man, that part of my arm was black and blue and just dang scary looking for days. Seeing that almost made me yak. Oh ya, almost forgot the needle sitting on the wall of my vain just sucking away and feeling painful until I got the techs to rotate the needle. Now that will make yer arm/vein tingle in pain for a while.

But all the bad/negative posts aside. The reason for giving the Blood donations is to help save lives. So I think I will still donate blood on occasion. I would hope this thread wouldn't sway others away from donating to save a fellow being.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:10 PM
A_G
Posting Guru
last time i gave blood. I broke the needle. It was for a blood test tho. They stuck it in..and it suprised me as i wasnt paying attention. ANd my muscle jumped and broke the tip off...

Old 02-09-2006, 06:43 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jake00
The best part however was going to the bars that night and gettoing trashed off a few beers cause of being low on blood
Isn't that a tad dangerous?

Old 02-09-2006, 10:00 PM
jjoel
Senior User
one of my friends did a punch of pushups before donating blood. needless to say, the blood shot through the tube like a rocket and he just about passed out.

Quick Reply: Just gave blood-almost passed out