1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Truck Builder Magazine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
Truck Builder Magazine?

Has anyone got any old copies of this? I am specifically interested in the October/November 2001 issue.

It had a tech article about installing a Jaguar IRS, yes thats IRS not IFS. There have been a lot of discussions recently on the front end mod.

I decided a long time ago to use a Jag rear axle and recently was told that there was a really good tech article on this in the said magazine.

So anyone out there got one?

I have tried to see if reprints are available, but I cant find any.

Thanks
Lee

Old 02-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Lee; Don't know if this will help any but; at last Supernationals I meet a guy (Terry Altman) Russville Arkansas who's 55 F100 was fitted with a 91 Lexus V-8 and a "86" Jaguar IRS. His Truck took runner up if I remenber correctly. He owns a body shop in that town, probably could do a search thru web site to locate him personnally.
I do have the recent article from August 05 issue of Custom Classic Truck that cover his truck and the F100 Truck of the year; if you would like I could send it to ya?
Just send me a mailing address........
P.S My mother & sister where born not to far from South Hampton UK; unfortnatley my Grandmother pass away acouple years ago...

Mitch

Old 02-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't know there was such a thing as "Truck Builder Magazine!!!!

How could I get a subscription?

Old 02-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Originally Posted by Customcab
Lee; Don't know if this will help any but; at last Supernationals I meet a guy (Terry Altman) Russville Arkansas who's 55 F100 was fitted with a 91 Lexus V-8 and a "86" Jaguar IRS. His Truck took runner up if I remenber correctly. He owns a body shop in that town, probably could do a search thru web site to locate him personnally.
I do have the recent article from August 05 issue of Custom Classic Truck that cover his truck and the F100 Truck of the year; if you would like I could send it to ya?
Just send me a mailing address........
P.S My mother & sister where born not to far from South Hampton UK; unfortnatley my Grandmother pass away acouple years ago...

Mitch
Thanks Mitch,

Yes I have seen Terry and Teri's Truck in the Custom Classic Truck feature. It looks very Nice indeed. I think that the article in th earlier mag was a little simpler and not so fancy. I intend to have a weekend driver (if not a daily) and I dont intend spending the time or money that Terry did on his 55.

I beleive that it was a simple weld in frame that supports the axle rather than lots of rods.

Cheers
Lee

Old 02-08-2006, 03:46 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
The easiest way to install the Jag IRS is to retain the original cage and fasten the cage to the truck frame. The rear cage, like the front crossmember will control all off the gemetry brakes etc. The downside is the cage is not a pretty thing. Good luck, I am doing the Jag IFS but 9 inch rear on leaf spriings in the rear.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Originally Posted by Randy Jack

Hey Randy,

I am not sure if the magazine is still published as I can only find reference to old copies. But you could try here: http://www.mondotimes.com/2/topics/5/entertainment/11/13596

Hope that helps,

Lee

Old 02-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Originally Posted by 49willard
The easiest way to install the Jag IRS is to retain the original cage and fasten the cage to the truck frame. The rear cage, like the front crossmember will control all off the gemetry brakes etc. The downside is the cage is not a pretty thing. Good luck, I am doing the Jag IFS but 9 inch rear on leaf spriings in the rear.
Yes I had thought of that 49willard, but as you say the cage looks really ugly and it was originally mounted on rubber mounts that are not easily attached to the frame rails. It would be a shame to have a Jag axle that could look really nice covered up by all that pressed steel.

Cheers
Lee

Old 02-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lee - Thanks for the website. I'll check that out.

Old 02-08-2006, 04:19 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Jack

Randy,

AFAIK it's still published... Buckaroo puts it out... same company as Street Rod Builder...and Super Rod... John Dianna's company.. nice slick mag with high end trucks but it does have some very nice tech pieces in it, lots of pictures... It started with oct 2001 I subscribed for a year then it really moved to later model trucks... Barnes and Noble and Books-a-million both keep it on their mag rack...

LEE...

I do have that copy...it was the premier issue... I can scann it and email it to you

john

Old 02-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Originally Posted by jniolon

LEE...

I do have that copy...it was the premier issue... I can scann it and email it to you

john
Hey John,
Excellent!, That would be very nice of you if you could scan and mail it to me. I will drop you a PM with my email address.
Thanks for your help,
Lee

Old 02-08-2006, 04:48 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Lee

5 pages swimming across the Atlantic as we speak..

John

Old 02-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Thanks John,

Really appreciate that, super fast response too.

Isnt this site, the members and the internet really cool! Who would have imagined 10 years ago that fellow enthusiasts of old classic trucks would be able to chat and exchange info across the globe as easily as this.

Superb!
Cheers
Lee

Old 02-09-2006, 04:03 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
Randy,

AFAIK it's still published... Buckaroo puts it out... same company as Street Rod Builder...and Super Rod... John Dianna's company.. nice slick mag with high end trucks but it does have some very nice tech pieces in it, lots of pictures... It started with oct 2001 I subscribed for a year then it really moved to later model trucks... Barnes and Noble and Books-a-million both keep it on their mag rack...

LEE...

john
John,

What was in that issue? The first time I bought it it had the Henne's 55 Orange 55 F100 in it. It also made mention of you in the editorial section. Buckaroo has relocated to Dayton, TN. This is a town between Knoxville and Chattanooga on I-75. They are still publishing Truck Builder. They do nice features and great tech articles. I normally go to Books - A - Million. Look thru and decide if I want to buy it.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:51 PM
kdmcinnes
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would also like to find it, I won a pick from them at Auborn, I would like to find out if they had any coverage on the show (See if my truck was in it or not