Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question my new 400 plans???????

i currently have a 351m in a 78 f150 backed by a c6 and np205
front axle is a dana 44 3.50 open for now looking a selectable locker and 4.56
rear is a ford 9in 3.50 open looking at similar setup as front
35in mudders

now the fun part

1 i already have a 400 crank will be reground of course
2 i was goin to port and polish factory heads with clevand valves- need help advice with theis one?
3 looking for quality value minded rebuild - any suggestions??
4 do i use pistons in kit if not what do i use and what cr? clevand slugs good idea?
5 big question was goin to deck block and mil heads- MANy different things ive been told im down right confused
6 and what cam do you guys suggest ? i was thinking comp cams 265xeh

know the truck loves mud but needs to be streetable and running on 87 would make me have tears of joy but pump gas is a requirement. i have a holley 600 or a ebock 600 to choose from but need the intake.and the tranny wil get a rebuild and a kit at the least. with the gears and the long stroke i think i can go a little more top end as far as valve train goes- please give some advice here too?WOW just realized how long this thing was im sorry guys

but please help first ford motor build and first truck motor built. ps if anyone can help locate parts or got stuff to get rid of im all ears.

THnaks again and i really am sorry just so much to learn

Old 02-09-2006, 01:19 AM
titanicf150
Senior User
Badger makes flatop pistons for the 400 that are better than 9 to 1 comp ratio for the same price as stockers. or you can contact TMI for zero deck flatop Badgers and forget decking the block. Higher compression alone will be a big wake up call for your 400. I also really like the Comp DEH265 cam . Be sure to put the cam timing straight up. A stock timing set will be 4 deg retarded. Lots of posts here on that engine build.

Ken

Old 02-09-2006, 11:58 AM
busted knuckle
Senior User
thanks forgot to mention timing set but that thing didnt need to be any longer LOL.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:38 AM
roushracing617
Senior User
For what it's worth, I would call Tim at TMI and talk to him about your options. He is a guy who has built these engines in many different configurations, and continues his research and development constantly. He not only sells the parts and machine work, but he also tries different combinations for different applications. It always comes down to a compromise of how much power you want, where you want your RPM range, and what you are willing to spend. IMHO, he is qualified to point you in the right direction. Building these things is what he does for his living, it's not a hobby. Get a list of questions ready for him, and fire away. After talking to him, I realized that what I want is very attainable, but a little more expensive than what I first thought. Therefore, I'm saving my nickles until I have enough to do it right the first time. A 400 is capable of making tons of torque, if built right. I think you are on the right track.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:42 PM
busted knuckle
Senior User
thanks for both the advice and encourgement.

Search this Thread