Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 01:31 PM
wabiker
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And last but not least.....dont forget to close the garage door when you go for that test drive...Never know when youll run into that long lost buddy and decide to reminiesce about the bad old days for a couple of days....jus glad I was on good terms with the nieghbor...

Old 11-24-2002, 03:34 AM
fin2lean
New User

Do not store used motor oil in old milk jugs. Eventually it will eat the bottom out, boy what a mess.

If you are working on the garage door, turn the power off, so that your significant other doesn't try to open it while you have your head, arm, etc. in the wrong place.

Paul

Old 11-27-2002, 04:41 PM
tigerman
Senior User

Don't store ANY gasoline in your attached garage or house. Make it a rule that all of it goes outside. If you siphon gas out of an auto that's in the garage, _DON'T leave to do something else till that chore is finished. Gallons of gasoline spreading across the garage floor can be a disaster!

Old 12-01-2002, 12:19 AM
redneckdieselmechanic
Senior User

Never wear long tailed shirts while working around lathes. Need I say more. Also, tuck that long hair up in a cap while around movin parts and flames. Always push on the wrench thats turning on the bolt thats right next to your face when your under the truck. Your friends will laugh at you when you tell em how you got that black eye. Its a good idea to keep a small metal bucket or cutoff 55 gallon drum under the cuttin torch table to catch all that slag that hits the floor. its like runnin over marbles. It aint fun to pick out tiny slag pieces when they find themselves in your elbow or rear end. Its a good idea to test the oxygen and acetylene regulator and hoses for leaks with soapy water. Never fun to run across that said floor covered with that said slag and bust yer a$$ to put out that said fire on top of that acetylene bottle when some idiot is not payin attention to where his grinding slag's goin. Also, dont leave the drop light on when you get out from under the truck to get a tool. Small fires can result from ATF leakin on that hot bulb thats been burnin for hours while you figure out how to swap out your first tranny without instructions. I'm only 18 but I've had this stuff happen to me.

Old 12-01-2002, 09:57 AM
blacklightningf150
Senior User

Dont try and work on a non ford product in the garage cuz it will never leave !!!

ya and friends with "either" who think its funny when your stuck under a car/truck and they light your shoe's on fire (just cuz you menchon your feet are froze cuz theres no heat in the shop !! and you almost knock yourself out tryin to get out to put em out and hafta head to the nearest store to get a new pair !!!

So hide all flamable items from buddies who might decide to get a little creative... and yes this happened to me.. all i can say is PAYBACKS A BITCH !!!

Old 12-09-2002, 05:16 AM
theonlybull
Posting Guru

Old 12-19-2002, 04:10 PM
mkc62
New User

I'll add this one.....NEVER depend on the jack to keep the vehicle lifted. ALWAYS use jack stands or a secondary support system. And another personal favorite of mine is....WEAR EYE PROTECTION. Don't forget while your're taking such good care of your wheels to remember to take care of YOURSELF FIRST!!! Remember Murphys' Law....What can happen.. will happen...or something like that. Be safe and have fun!!!

Old 12-19-2002, 05:09 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru

Never set the battery charger on the fan shroud with the cords sitting on the air cleaner and then go start the vehicle before removing the cables. Nearly had a disaster with that last week. Just got lucky that nothing got tangled up.

Old 12-20-2002, 01:38 PM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Don't let dogs in the garage.

While rotating tires the neighbors big old pouch came in for a pet and promptly gobbled up three lug nuts and took off with them in his mouth!

Don't use a bug bomb without turning off the water heater!

Never, ever tell the wife "Hey, it's warmer in the garage than the living room". Oooooops!

Old 12-22-2002, 12:26 PM
CustomCab4x4
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't spin your wheel bearings with a blowgun when you blow the solvent off of em. The resulting explosion will tear the heck out of your fingers. Sure, it makes a neat sound, but don't do it.

Old 12-23-2002, 08:14 PM
blacklightningf150
Senior User

new one.... "Do not" remove stop block where mom knows when to stop when backing in the gerage.... had to explain to my old man why beer fridge is sporting a half caved door and moms 96 Couger has white paint on rear bumper......

Old 12-24-2002, 12:08 PM
tsheriff
Elder User

Always make sure you put the truck in gear befor leaving it in the garage no mater how level you think the floor is. Dang why won't the garge door open

Old 12-24-2002, 10:50 PM
OneFine69
Senior User

This one wasnt nearly as painful as some of the above listed- but could have been! If you decide to bring a painted aluminum manifold down to bare aluminum using a wire brush attached to a high power drill, dont wear a hooded sweatshirt- no matter cold it is- cause when that brush jumped off the manifold onto your chest, its wraps you up pretty tight. Wear tight clothes! It will save your arms and chest...ouch.
Tristin`

Old 12-25-2002, 06:58 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster

Good point, on the loose clothing!!! I can't tell ya how many times I've gotten my loose flannel sleeves and shirt front caught up in my electric drill with wire brush attachment! Luckily, never hurt myself. (Knock on wood)

Old 12-25-2002, 09:22 AM
getu12
Freshman User

One thing that I did so my wife would quit running into the tool box in the front of the garage: I put a string on a tennis ball and hung it from the ceiling at a point where the ball touches the windshield when the car is far enough in the garage. :-)

Quick Reply: Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........