Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug change with photos

Old 09-15-2009, 01:11 PM
PMDRACER
Senior User
PMDRACER is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm in the same boat as Broncoholic; 1999 V-10, and right at 98,000 miles. The dealership wants $460 just to R&R the plugs. I'm looking at it as (+/-) $32 for plugs, $80 for a Craftsman/Microtork torque wrench, and $80 for boots.

I'm just a tad apprehensive from the horror stories I've read about popping the threads. If I'm reading things correctly, as long as I use the torque wrench and stick to 132 in/lb I'll be ok. In other words, the issue of popping threads is due to plugs coming loose while driving the truck and nobody has stripped out the heads while torquing down the plugs properly.

Am I correct?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
Antelope V-10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Broncoholic1 View Post
Thanks Biz just called O'Reilly's they got the SP479's
Motorcraft part number

$3.07 ea.

He just pulled the plug out of the box & it is a AGSF22WM
They just changed the box
Yep that is what I was told when hunting up plugs. The SP479 is a Motorcraft part #, the AGSF22WM is a Ford part number.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 PM
biz4two
Post Fiend
biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

Originally Posted by PMDRACER View Post
I'm in the same boat as Broncoholic; 1999 V-10, and right at 98,000 miles. The dealership wants $460 just to R&R the plugs. I'm looking at it as (+/-) $32 for plugs, $80 for a Craftsman/Microtork torque wrench, and $80 for boots.

I'm just a tad apprehensive from the horror stories I've read about popping the threads. If I'm reading things correctly, as long as I use the torque wrench and stick to 132 in/lb I'll be ok. In other words, the issue of popping threads is due to plugs coming loose while driving the truck and nobody has stripped out the heads while torquing down the plugs properly.

Am I correct?
Actually that would be 168 in/lb or 14 ft/lb.

I have never heard of the plugs getting stripped while installing them with the proper torque. Usually if the threads strip...it will be when uninstalling.

biz

Old 09-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Broncoholic1
Posting Guru
Broncoholic1 has a great reputation on FTE.Broncoholic1 has a great reputation on FTE.Broncoholic1 has a great reputation on FTE.Broncoholic1 has a great reputation on FTE.Broncoholic1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by biz4two View Post

I have never heard of the plugs getting stripped while installing them with the proper torque. Usually if the threads strip...it will be when uninstalling.

biz
That is good to know, I use the copper antisieze is this the best for steel to aluminum. I am a cast Iron head guy.

I am apprehensive about the change, I might let them soak in Kroil for a week

Old 09-17-2009, 01:08 PM
PMDRACER
Senior User

biz
Not trying to start something here, but form what I've read - including the original post - the stated torque measurement is 132 in/lbs (11 ft/lbs). so if you are saying that this is incorrect, please name your source and let's get to the bottom of this.

Thanks

Old 09-17-2009, 11:32 PM
biz4two
Post Fiend
biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

Not trying to start something here, but form what I've read - including the original post - the stated torque measurement is 132 in/lbs (11 ft/lbs). so if you are saying that this is incorrect, please name your source and let's get to the bottom of this.

Thanks
Several threads here in the forum...but here are just a few that indicate 168 in/lbs.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...ug-torque.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ange-done.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...of-14-a-2.html See Post #17

Ok...so there they are. If you want to search...just enter 168 and there they are.

biz

Old 09-18-2009, 12:24 AM
PMDRACER
Senior User
Several threads here in the forum...but here are just a few that indicate 168 in/lbs.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...ug-torque.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ange-done.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...of-14-a-2.html See Post #17

Ok...so there they are. If you want to search...just enter 168 and there they are.

biz
And those same threads also indicate from as low as 84 in-lbs (7 ft/lbs) all the way up to 25 and 30 ft/lbs.

Doesn't seem like anyone agrees on this subject.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:19 PM
biz4two
Post Fiend
Thumbs up

And those same threads also indicate from as low as 84 in-lbs (7 ft/lbs) all the way up to 25 and 30 ft/lbs.

Doesn't seem like anyone agrees on this subject.

Absolutely!

biz

Old 09-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Broncoholic1
Posting Guru
Broncoholic1 has a great reputation on FTE.Broncoholic1 has a great reputation on FTE.Broncoholic1 has a great reputation on FTE.Broncoholic1 has a great reputation on FTE.Broncoholic1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Well anyone know???

Old 09-19-2009, 10:01 AM
CapriMikeC
Junior User
CapriMikeC is starting off with a positive reputation.
From Autolite's website: http://www.autolite.com/pdf/TorqueSpecs.pdf

From NGK's website: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...stallation.asp

These plugs are 14mm thread Conical seat type (without gasket). Note the recommended torque is 7-15 lb-ft for aluminum heads. Autolite's specs state:
NOTE: Spark plugs should be installed with clean and dry threads to avoid overtorquing or stretching the spark plug which can, and often does, result in engine damage.
I used anti-seize because I don't think it will significantly affect the torque but will protect the threads from corrosion and galling when it is time to replace these plugs.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:36 PM
slsand
New User
slsand is starting off with a positive reputation.
A plug replacement for '03 F250 that went well

I recently bought a 2003 F250 Triton 5.4. I decided it would be wise to take my chances with plug replacement now (at 76,449 miles) , rather than live with the threat of a much more expensive problem down the road.

I guess I was lucky. All eight plugs came out without breaking, although one looked like it might've been about to seize. Another was rusted, because there was water sitting in the plug well. The rubber boot on that wet plug showed rust stains on the outside, but there was no evidence that water had gotten to the connection between the coil pack and the plug.

The last plug change I did was last summer on my old plow truck, a '78 Bronco 400 cu.in. That was comparatively easy, with no fuel rails, COPs, or other stuff in the way, so I had this one done by an experienced mechanic at the local shop. He was able to do it in a couple of hours (including a short break), without removing the fuel rails. It the money I paid was dirt cheap for the peace of mind alone. The new plugs, and whatever enhanced performance and/or mileage they might bring are just a bonus.

<A href="http://www.sanders-indev.com/F250/FactoryPlugsF25076449mi.jpeg">Here is a picture</A>
of the removed original-equipment plugs, and the packaging from the replacement plugs.

2010feb08(14:34)-sls

Old 06-12-2010, 05:20 PM
cruekess
New User
cruekess is starting off with a positive reputation.
torque

you say you torqued them at 132 lb? that seems high doing mine now and dont want to mess it up

Old 06-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Budman1962
Senior User
Budman1962 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by cruekess View Post
you say you torqued them at 132 lb? that seems high doing mine now and dont want to mess it up
Its 168 inch pounds not foot pounds. Or 14 foot pounds

Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 PM
tmehrkam
Senior User
tmehrkam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well I have 170,000 miles my last plug change was at 106,000 miles.

I had my first plug blowout. Went camping in Galveston Tx this weekend. About a 60 mile trip from home.

We went into town from the State Park. Did some shopping at walmart. When I started the engine BANG sounded like it threw a rod. It was a plug blowing out.

It broke the hold down tab on the COP.

Called a tow service but before they came I tried to reinstall the plug. Got one turn on it before it tightened up. Started the engine and to my surprise the plug stayed in.

I canceled the TOW and returned to the State Park. The next day I drove 60 miles home. Today I decided to check it out before I got back on the road.

Pulled the plug. Threads looked good as far as I can see. The plug looked brand new. The anti-seize is still evident on the threads.

I decided to torque the plug to specs. The one thread gave away at about 5ft lb.

To the shop to have an insert installed. Anyone have experience with that?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:34 AM
tmehrkam
Senior User
tmehrkam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Second plug change. 196,000 miles

Did my second Plug change this weekend.

Eight years, 90,000 miles and one plug blowout later. 196,000 miles on this thing.

I am getting ready for a 5,000 miles to Colorado over the Continental divide in this 11 year old truck. So a plug change is on order.

The plugs look pretty good. One bank plugs 1-5 look to be running a tad richer than the other. Some minor deposits on the plugs on that side.

The gap has opened slightly on a couple. Still within tolerances.

The plug in the cylinder with the time-sert looks just like the other nine. Bore scoped all the threads. It is difficult to identify the cylinder with the time-sert. Looks the same as the others.

Changed the air filter. Went back to a Motorcraft filter. Mileage jumped to 16 mpg on highway from 12.9. The Motorcraft filter breaths better than the *&&^% Fram I was running.

About ready to go. Need to rotate tires, inspect brakes and I will be done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plug change with photos

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.