1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

update on my grandson Cole

Old 02-05-2006, 01:30 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 712 Likes on 256 Posts
update on my grandson Cole

Hi all....

One year cancer free !!!

Jan 31 marked the one year anniversary of Cole's tumor surgery. A little celebration was held with Cake and one candle.

Lisa says it much better than I and here's a clip from Cole's web page on that date... Thanks to all who faithfully kept my grandson on their prayer list... you are a very large part of his health and happiness today..

God bless you all... you guys are the best!
John

Lisa's words that day and a picture below that...

WOO HOO! Congratulations to Cole! As of today, he has been cancer free for a year! What an accomplishment. He couldn't have done it alone though so I want to send thanks to Dr. Martino, who performed the surgery and instantly put us at ease in this horrible, life altering situation, Dr. Gajjar, Miss Valerie and the entire E Clinic, Dr. Merchant and the radiation team, Dr. Kim, the wonderful, wonderful nurses on the fourth floor, second floor, and especially the medicine room, also the very understanding and gentle nurses in A/T! We love you guys! And last but not least, all the support we've received (and continue to receive) from our families and friends (especially the new friends we met at the Jude).

So a year ago today we were very happy the tumor was gone, but had no idea what the road ahead would bring. We didn't know Cole would have to learn to walk again, or learn to use his left hand again. Or how hard it would be that day of surgery when his little eyes couldn't even focus on us. He could hear us though and that's what was important. We had no clue that once he hair started to grow back, it would fall out again because of radiation. We had no idea about the world of cancer we would be thrown into. We were very lucky to have the group of drs and nurses we did throughout this entire journey. I remember Dr Martino telling us if you're going to have a brain tumor, this is the best one to have. We sarcastically laughed later about that - the best one? yeah right - how could any brain tumor be good? Well, we quickly learned that it could indeed be the best. We've seen worse, much worse. So for that we are thankful. I'm thankful that Cole's wasn't worse and I'm thankful that we were able to see worse - this puts some perspective in your life. We've lost friends this past year - that experience is one I never thought I would have. We've had people we were close to that we aren't anymore - people we thought were friends. We've met new friends - young children - who are no longer with us either. Both losses were painful. But so many lessons have been learned.

I'm so proud of the accomplishments Cole has made in the past year. He had never given up on the important things. Sure there were times when he's given up on using "lefty" and just wants "righty" to do it. There are times when he said things were too hard. But you know what? Those things are hard and sometimes he doesn't finish them, but he does try. He's never fussed too much about having to go back to the "hook up home sweet home". He didn't fuss too much about not getting to go to the "really real home sweet home". He just rolled with the punches. And goodness knows - there have been some punches.

Several people have told us that we are really strong and they are proud of what we've done as well. Well, we didn't choose to be strong - I didn't see any choice in the matter. We just did what ANY GOOD parent would have done. Our best!! We tried our best to do all we could for Cole. He was a great role model. He was very strong and we were very proud of him. So in return, we had to give him the same he was giving us.

While there are many things I feel we have missed in the last year - there are so many we gained. Friends, of course, but also special time with Cole. You get so wrapped up in real life - normal life - sometimes you forget how much fun it can be to just play. We still get caught up now - tons of homework and housework and grown up stuff, but Cole just sweetly asks us if we can plllleeeeaaaase "fill in the blank" with him - and we remember how important it is to take that time. Sometimes it isn't possible when you have a big test and four projects due - but we try so hard. He tries to understand too. During the past year, if we didn't have time to play something right when he asked - there would have been a huge meltdown. Now he just says OK and goes off by himself, sometimes a little pouty, but then he'll come back later and ask if we have time now to play. He'll ask me to make room for him at the table so he can sit there while I do homework. He's just such a sweet sweet boy. We are so very lucky. I can't imagine loving anybody or anything more than we love him and he loves us!

Lisa

Old 02-05-2006, 02:16 PM
nixer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
congrats it is a real time to celebrate that is for sure. i hope he has a cancer free lifetime and i hope the best for all of the family.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:27 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations to all of you and especially to Cole!

Take care,

Barry

50 F-1

Old 02-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Praise God! Great News, now he needs his own Ford.......

Old 02-05-2006, 04:16 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Amen! I've read about Cole through all of this and was a quiet, behind the scenes worker in my prayer life.
This last fall I got diagnosed with melanoma skin cancer-a pretty bad one. We've done a few surgeries and treatment gets pretty bad sometimes, but keeping your chin up and your eyes on God makes it bearable. True friends come out of everywhere to help and you get to see life as it should be - helping those who need it. Or sometimes being helped.
I know too much what your daughter said about being too busy and the way Cole asks for play time rang true to my soon-to-be 3 year old Gavin. I hated those times when I was too sick to even hold my son. Talk about discouraging! I'm so glad you guys are past that too, now.
Life shortens when you go through this stuff, or at least your perspective of it does and you see things more eternally and importantly. Continue to make this experience positive in affecting those of us around you. Send our sincerest celebrations to your family and Cole.
May you continue to be blessed.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:28 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This cheerful news is much needed on a dark day here. As a few of our older ones fade we have the strength and promise of the young to keep us going.

A fine looking young man, coming from a strong loving family, makes the future look good. I am very happy for you, John. Those of us who share the hidden burden of grandfatherhood understand... and thanks for sharing the good stuff too.

gratefully, himmelberg

Old 02-05-2006, 04:41 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks like all our prayers have been paying off. Sure looks like a happy little boy in the photo. Actually the cake looks really good too. LOL.... Let's go for year two....

Old 02-05-2006, 04:42 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
John-
It is really good to hear that Cole is doing so much better and that prayers have been answered. Grandchildren are a special gift and a sick one can tear your heart out and make you feel so inadequate. It sounds like your daughter has a very good perspective on the situation. I look forward to continued good reports on Cole. He will enjoy riding in the 53 with grandpa.

Larry

Old 02-05-2006, 05:06 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Having lost my mother and mother-in-law to cancer I understand how helpless and desperate you feel. This is such great news, I hope to see many many more reports of the same.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Thank you for the wonderful news. Cole is looking pretty good!!! You and yours should be very proud of the wonderful job you did hanging in there with this. And Cole, of course, is quite a little guy.

God bless.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:32 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
John, That is wonderful news. I am a grandfather times 2 and they are the most precious things in your life. Let us all have those positive thoughts for Cole.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:46 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
John, this is indeed capitol news. My family and I have kept Cole, his mom, and dad along with all the grandparents in our thoughts and prayers throughout. He is looking real fine and we hope for his continued improvement. I believe he will have a long happy life ahead. Jonathan

Old 02-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wonderful news. Joe

Old 02-06-2006, 08:54 AM
fatfords
Elder User
John,
This is wonderful news! Thank you for taking time to share the great news and we will continue to keep Cole and his family in our prayers.
Kent

Old 02-06-2006, 07:37 PM
OilLeaks
Senior User
That's a good looking young Ford driver! I'm sure he's a lot tougher at his young age than I could ever be - he's been through more than I've been through too for that matter. Thanks for sharing! We'll continue to keep him and his family in our prayers!

OilLeaks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: update on my grandson Cole