1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2.3l Ranger, Code 224...Primary Or Secondary Coil Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Critterhunter
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2.3l Ranger, Code 224...Primary Or Secondary Coil Failure

I've just given this struck (260,000 miles) a complete tuneup. Well, the Bosch platnum plugs have about 60,000 miles on them but everything else (02 Sensor, EGR Valve, Plug Wires, etc) has been changed. I'm getting an off and on check engine light. Scanned it and came up with code 224...Primary or Secondary coil failure. I tested both coil packs with an ohmeter and they are both reading within specs of each other so I doubt one is bad unless it's failing under heat. Anyway, I did a little digging and some people are saying that the DIS (or ignition control module, depending on what people want to call it) may be to blame. This is that little grey box on the side of the intake manifold that has two wire harnesses plugged into it. Does anybody know what to check for with a volt/ohmmeter on it to see if it's bad? I know parts stores will test the unit if I remove it but I hate to go through the trouble of taking it off (Isn't too hard, but I can test it myself first). Also, I noticed there are only three bolts on mine and it looks like the fourth one is missing. Since I believe this unit has a huge metal backside that grounds it to the intake manifold could it be possible that it's dirty behind it and thus not grounding properly causing this off and on problem? If so, what should I put on the back of it once I clean it to insure good grounding? I've already unplugged it's two harnesses and they appear clean. Same with the plugs at the coil packs when I checked them with an ohm meter. The truck will hesitate ("kick") a bit under load. I need to know what pins to check and what readings I should get. And, who sells this unit cheap as one part store wants over $100 for it.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Code 224 lists the following poinpoint test. I have heard of grounding issues causing problems.

« JC -- Electronic Ignition (EI) System (Low Data Rate)»

JC1 CHECK CMP SENSOR AT CAMSHAFT SENSOR

Possible causes:

-- Insufficient spark.

-- Ignition timing advance.

-- Ignition timing retard.

-- Damaged PCM.

-- Damaged ICM.

-- Sensor failure.

NOTE:
For proper results of this test, and all other Pinpoint Test Steps JC, the Star Tester must be disconnected.

l Key off.

l Install CMP sensor tee. (The word "SENSOR" is printed in yellow letters on the tee).

l Connect El diagnostic harness to breakout box.

l Disconnect PCM.

l Connect diagnostic harness positive and negative leads to battery.

l Use EI Diagnostic Overlay.

l Connect digital multimeter between (+) CID PCM sensor and (B-).

l Bump engine in short bursts with the starter without starting engine for at least 10 engine revolutions.

l Does digital multimeter reading switch between low (less than 2.0 volts dc) and high (more than 8.0 volts dc)?

Yes
GO to «JC2».

No
GO to «JC3».

JC2 CHECK CMP TO PCM CIRCUIT RESISTANCE

l Key off.

l PCM disconnected.

l Connect second breakout box to the PCM vehicle connector.

l Connect digital multimeter between CID PCM sensor and CID of second breakout box.

l Is reading less than 5.0 ohms?

Yes
RETURN to the Test Step in «Section 3», Symptom Charts, which sent you to this Pinpoint Test.

No
SERVICE harness and connectors. CID PCM is open between CMP sensor and PCM. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. RETURN to the Test Step in «Section 3», Symptom Charts, which sent you to this Pinpoint Test.

JC3 CHECK CID SENSOR AT CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

l Key off.

l Connect digital multimeter between (+) (CID sensor) and (B-).

l Bump engine in short bursts with starter without starting engine for at least 10 engine revolutions.

l Does reading switch between low and high?

Yes
REPLACE CMP sensor. CID is open between (CID sensor) and (CID PCM sensor). REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. RETURN to the Test Step in «Section 3», Symptom Charts, which sent you to this Pinpoint Test.

No
GO to «JC4».

JC4 CHECK CAMSHAFT SENSOR CMP PWR

l Key off.

l Connect digital multimeter between (+) CMP PWR and B-.

l Key on.

l Is reading greater than 10 volts dc?

Yes
GO to «JC5».

No
SERVICE connectors and harness. CMP PWR open, fault at sensor. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. RETURN to the Test Step in «Section 3», Symptom Charts, which sent you to this Pinpoint Test.

JC5 CHECK CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR IGNITION GROUND

l Key off.

l Connect digital multimeter between IGND CMP and (B-).

l Is reading less than 5.0 ohms?

Yes
GO to «JC6».

No
SERVICE connectors and harness. IGN GND open at sensor. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. RETURN to the Test Step in «Section 3», Symptom Charts, which sent you to this Pinpoint Test.

JC6 CHECK ICM

l Key off.

l Disconnect ICM vehicle harness input connector from ICM.

l Connect the digital multimeter between (+) CID sensor and B-.

l Bump the engine in short bursts without starting engine for at least 10 engine revolutions.

Yes
REPLACE ICM. RETURN to the Test Step in «Section 3», Symptom Charts, which sent you to this Pinpoint Test.

No
GO to «JC7».

JC7 CHECK PCM

l Key off.

l Connect digital multimeter between (+) (CID PCM sensor) and (B-).

l Disconnect PCM.

l Bump engine in short bursts without starting engine for at least 10 engine revolutions.

Yes
REPLACE PCM. CID PCM sensor shorted. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. RETURN to the Test Step in «Section 3», Symptom Charts, which sent you to this Pinpoint Test.

No
GO to «JC8».

JC8 CHECK CID CMP S FOR SHORT HIGH

l Key off.

l Disconnect El diagnostic harness connector from camshaft position sensor. Do not disconnect vehicle harness from camshaft position sensor tee.

l Connect digital multimeter between (+) CID sensor and (B-).

l Key on.

l Is reading less than 0.5 volt dc?

Yes
GO to «JC9».

No
SERVICE connectors and harness. CID is shorted high between sensor and ICM. RETURN to the Test Step in «Section 3», Symptom Charts, which sent you to this Pinpoint Test.

JC9 CHECK CID CMP S FOR SHORT LOW

l Key off.

l Connect digital multimeter between (CID PCM sensor) and (B-).

l Is reading greater than 10K ohms?

Yes
GO to «JC10».

No
SERVICE connectors and harness. CID PCM sensor is shorted to ground between sensor and PCM. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. RETURN to the Test Step in «Section 3», Symptom Charts, which sent you to this Pinpoint Test.

JC10 CHECK CID SENSOR FOR SHORT HIGH

l Key off.

l Connect digital multimeter between (+) CID sensor and (B-).

l Key on.

l Is reading less than 0.5 volt dc?

Yes
GO to «JC11».

No
SERVICE connectors and harness. CID sensor is shorted high. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. RETURN to the Test Step in «Section 3», Symptom Charts, which sent you to this Pinpoint Test.

JC11 CHECK CID SENSOR FOR SHORT TO GND

l Key off.

l Connect digital multimeter between CID sensor and (B-).

l Is reading greater than 10K ohms?

Yes
GO to «JC12».

No
SERVICE connectors and harness. CID sensor is shorted to GND. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. RETURN to the Test Step in «Section 3», Symptom Charts, which sent you to this Pinpoint Test.

JC12 CHECK CMP SENSOR VANE

l Does vane move through air gap when engine is cranked?

Yes
REPLACE CMP sensor. No CID output. RETURN to the Test Step in «Section 3», Symptom Charts, which sent you to this Pinpoint Test.

No
SERVICE vane. (If necessary, refer to Engine Group in the vehicle's Powertrain Service Manual.) RETURN to the Test Step in «Section 3», Symptom Charts, which sent you to this Pinpoint Test.