Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

So Where Do you All go for Target Practice with Your Guns?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 11:53 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question So Where Do you All go for Target Practice with Your Guns?

I am trying to find a place close to Tulsa or Owasso for target practice with rifles and hand guns. Do ya'll have any suggestions? And, I'm not talking about the gun dealers with the indoor shooting ranges--they are way too expensive. Where do you all go for target practice?

Old 12-13-2003, 09:28 AM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
if you dont mind joining a gun club, i dont know how much it is, there is the oil capitol gun club in tulsa. i have been a guest there a couple of times. they have a real good range, long gun and pistol. they also have a thousand yard range for those of us that are crazy! i would check with some of the small gun dealers, they should be able to tell you where a few spots are. we have a small range here in wagoner on the public hunting area. not much, but it is close to home.

Old 12-13-2003, 11:09 AM
PCWest13
Senior User
Ive been a guest at the club you are talking about JimBare. It is really a great setup. They have double skeet and as you mentioned the 1000 yard range, and tournaments and things. Very nice range.

Old 12-16-2003, 11:22 AM
Oklahoma
Senior User
I am not in your area but I have always just went to river banks, gravel quarries, or just banks carved out beside the dirt roads. Don't know if it is OK to do this, but in my home area it has been like that since at least the 40's.

Old 12-18-2003, 09:29 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Well, I left a message for the oil capital gun club. (sounded like a personal residence. hope it was the right number.) According to the internet they are based in Owasso. That could be real convenient for me since I'm also based in Owasso. Where is their shooting range?

Old 12-18-2003, 04:26 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
West out of town on 76th St. and turn South onto Mingo Rd. Go down to 56th St. (I believe) and turn right. The range is about a mile West of Mingo.

Old 01-04-2004, 03:57 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Well, I haven't heard back from any of the gun clubs. But I went with my father-in-law to the Happy Hollow Gun Range just west of Sapulpa. I was a bit skeptical before seeing the place. It was actually well kept and organized. There are rules to learn and follow to keep all the shooters safe. And the guy sits in the building and keeps watch of all the shooters. There are padded benches with tops built in, bean bag rests, and foam contoured gun rests. For $10 per person you get to use th rifle/shotgun range lanes and handgun lanes all day. He provides you with the cardboard backing and first target. I would bring your own, the kind that show the floruescent color after being hit. There's birms built up at 10yds, 25yds, 50yds, 100yds, and I think 200yds. But we didn't go past 100yds with the M1 Garand. Bring more than just earplugs--bring some muffs. There were some loud guns there. I got to shoot some guys .454 revolver. Wow, talk about some punch. He was shooting a pretty tight pattern at 100yds with that thing.

Anyway, I'll let ya know what the other ranges are like as I find them.

Old 03-08-2004, 09:27 AM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
The Oachita National Forest has some ranges set up in Eastern OK that are free... I'm not sure if they have that around Tulsa, but you might call the Parks Dept. or something and find out.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:07 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Well, just thought I'd ask again to see if anybody can recommend any new places for some gun target practice?

That place NoMo recommended is the Tulsa Gun Club. Too darn expensive. You have to pay $110 annual memberfee, and then daily use fee of the ranges. Pooh on that.

Anybody have any big wide open land that I can just come and safely (and legally) shoot on?

Old 01-05-2006, 07:49 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did a search for shooting ranges and hera's a list that came up.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/f...l.asp?State=OK

Mike

Old 01-05-2006, 10:26 AM
hotrod48
Elder User
I walk out to the side of the house and start shooting. Well, it's a little ways from the house and we have a few acres so that's where I shoot.

hotrod48

Old 01-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
I just go out to the pond and shoot into the dam.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:04 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Sigh......I wish I had land to do that with.....sigh.....Someday I'm going to have acres and acres between me and my neighbors.

Thanks for that list, Mike. Doesn't look like much is listed near Owasso.

Old 01-06-2006, 04:14 PM
A_G
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hotrod48
I walk out to the side of the house and start shooting. Well, it's a little ways from the house and we have a few acres so that's where I shoot.

hotrod48
LOL ditto. I have shooting videos, wherei just walk out on my front porch and shoot something in my yard.

Old 01-08-2006, 05:04 PM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
We used to go out all the way to the end of 71st east of B.A. where it dead-ends at the lock and dam. Haven't been there in a while, but nobody bothered us. There's flood retention ponds so you're down in a bowl. Pretty good place to fish, too. Bluegill Point campgrounds are on the way there. Right on the Verdigris. It's worth checking out. P.

Quick Reply: So Where Do you All go for Target Practice with Your Guns?