Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 08:37 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Least Safe Cars 2006

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...ar/P135061.asp

all Asian.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR height=18><TD class=smallfontreverse>The least-safe cars of 2006</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE borderColor=#cccccc cellSpacing=0 borderColorDark=white cellPadding=2 rules=rows width="100%" border=1 frame=below><TBODY><TR bgColor=#cccccc><TD class=smallprompt>Vehicle (click for details)</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Vehicle (click for details)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallprompt>Hyundai Elantra</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Nissan Sentra</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallprompt>Kia Optima</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Suzuki Forenza</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallprompt>Mazda6</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Toyota Corolla</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 01-25-2006, 08:46 PM
okst1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think this would make the nightly news? I don't. If it were mostly American cars on the list that would be the headline.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:23 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MMMmmmm. List of cars. No supporting data. Things like 'wimpy motor'. Not really very impressive.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:14 PM
okst1
Elder User
Info is readily available on iihs.org

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=40

Old 01-25-2006, 10:48 PM
redmangh
New User
Has anybody ever seen the results of what you could consider a small accident involving a Kia or Hyundai,I have and all I can say is WOW!!!
Not that any new small car doesn't fold(dont make-em like they used to) but I would certainly place my"least loved ones" in one of those Asian-Japanese vehicles!!

Last edited by Beast12; 01-25-2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:50 PM
go_racing84
Elder User
I have to say I'm a little surprised that the Mazda 6 and the Corolla are on there.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Me as well. Hmmm...

-Matt

Old 01-25-2006, 11:36 PM
fbodyfan
Senior User
Originally Posted by redmangh
Has anybody ever seen the results of what you could consider a small accident involving a Kia or Hyundai,I have and all I can say is WOW!!!
Not that any new small car doesn't fold(dont make-em like they used to) but I would certainly place my"least loved ones" in one of those Asian-Japanese vehicles!!
There's a reason they don't "make em like they used to." If you're in a car made of all reinforced steel, and you hit a brick wall at 60, that car stops with minimal damage and your body is still going 60 mph forward. It's a death trap. Now if you are in one of todays cars, they crumple for a reason. The crumpling absorbs the energy of impact, and makes for a more gradual stop (not by much, but every little bit helps in a wreck). That crumpling will certainly run up a bill at the repair shop, but has saved many a life. By making the engine compartment and trunk crumple spaces, and making the passenger compartment very strong, it doesn't transfer nearly as much energy to the passengers themselves. It works much like bulletproof glass. A soft side to distribute the force of impact of the bullet, and a second very stiff, strong layer to stop whats left.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:41 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
i owned one of those hyundias lantras (1996 model) when i lived in england, drove it for 2 years, let me tell you, i was greatly releived when i moved back to the USA and got in that 2004 superduty!!!

Old 01-26-2006, 06:10 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> Has anybody ever seen the results of what you could consider a small accident involving a Kia or Hyundai

Yep, they fold and crush from one side right to the other in side impacts. I saw a mechanic when Hyundai first came out, bend a door in half with his hands and knees. I really did not think he could do it, but, he did.

I agree with those cars being deathtraps and the Grand Am (don't know about 2001+ models) has to be one of the worse vehicles to be driving in a side crash.

As for this bit of reporting:

"NHTSA gives out the occasional sub-three-star rating, but a three-star rating tends to be as low as it goes."

Like they have a choice or any leeway. DUH! Lousy slanted reporting without a clue.

That is because the NHTSA tests to Federal law! 30 MPH into a full frontal barrier, not 35 mph off set crash on the driver's side (40% of all accidents) like the insurance inst. does.

Thanks for the link, makes me like my full frame gas guzzlers even better :-)

Old 01-26-2006, 10:40 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
If you go to the web site and go to the safest cars for 2005. They are only 5 that got a 5 star rating. They are Acura RL sedan ($49,100), Crown Vic ($25,135), Town Car ($42,670), Grand Marquis ($25,150) and Volvo S80($37,585). The writeup hinted strongly that is was cheap versus expensive. However, I think it is little vs big. However hard they may try, you cannot defy the laws of physics and economics. Larger is safer than smaller and it takes more materials to build larger and as a result it costs more. They conceeded that large SUVs were safer but countered that it was a wash because they turned over easier.

ps. 4 of the 5 were FOMOCO products (of course 3 were based on the same car).

Old 01-26-2006, 12:50 PM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
Well, that's not a good bit of news for those considering the Ford Edge, among other vehicles, that derive from the Mazda 6, especially the Fusion clones.

http://www.aiada.org/article.asp?id=56509 as

I do like how the spin is on price rather than on heft. I suppose the point is to get us away from driving SUVs and Super Duties in an underhanded way. Oh well, they tried. Go, cruisers! I'd hate to see how flimsy a redesigned Vic would be, knowing the trend today toward cheapness.

I am surprised that Corolla, made in USA (correct? Yes, Toyota's first made in USA car http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...rticleId=94136), and Suzuki are on there. I would think Suzuki would be beyond that, but they don't make tough little boogers like the Sidekick and Samurai anymore, so on that thought....

I think this would skirt the news, too. Small cars...death traps. Darn, defeats the tree-hugger point of saving lives, saving the earth, and being one with nature...or some garbage like that.

Old 01-26-2006, 02:43 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
LMAO, nice list!

Strait from safecar.gov (NHTSA)

Hyundai Elantra
5 star for Driver frontal and 4 start for Passanger frontal
5 star for Front side impact and 4 star for Rear side impact
4 star for roll over

Nissan Sentra
4 star for Driver frontal and 4 start for Passanger frontal
2 star for Driver side and Not tested for Passanger side
4 star for roll over

Kia Optima
Hasn't even been tested yet

Suzuki Forenza
4 star for Driver frontal and 4 start for Passanger frontal
Not tested
4 star for roll over

Mazda6
5 star for Driver frontal and 5 start for Passanger frontal
3 star for Driver side and 4 star for Passanger side
5 star for roll over

Toyota corolla
5 star for Driver frontal and 5 start for Passanger frontal
4 star for Driver side and 4 star for Passanger side
4 star for roll over

Now it sure looks like Hyundia, Mazda and Toyota are some pretty safe cars. It's interesting how those 3 cars and 1 that hasn't even been tested made the unsafe list.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:41 PM
ggarrahan
Elder User
Which would you rather be driving when an accident occurs, the car designed to be crushed or the truck designed to do the crushing? Those Korean and Japanese cars make good airbags for an F-Series truck!

Old 01-26-2006, 04:19 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ggarrahan
Which would you rather be driving when an accident occurs, the car designed to be crushed or the truck designed to do the crushing? Those Korean and Japanese cars make good airbags for an F-Series truck!
Ever notice they rate the same?

Quick Reply: Least Safe Cars 2006