Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Monticello Rod and Custom show

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 09:41 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Monticello Rod and Custom show

Just saw the ad for the car show at the fairgrounds in Monticello, not a big show, but a nice one. I wouldn't go for a long drive for it... I won't be there anyway, my mom had a mild heart attack, so kinda hanging close anyway. She's doing fairly well, so not too much to worry about, but still basically sucks all the same...

Old 03-01-2006, 10:20 AM
69 and 85
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your Mom... I always try to look on the bright side tho - hopefully being mild (like you said) they will be able to find out what is wrong and get it corrected. My wife had an Uncle that never got a warning of any kind... it took him just a couple weeks after he retired. They have made some really impressive medical improvements in the last years in heart health care. Keeping a positive attitude has shown to make a difference too.

Thanks for posting on the show. I am slowly making headway on my projects... one of these days I hope to start going to some events!

Old 03-01-2006, 10:24 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
She's doing better, the meds they had her on dropped her blood pressure too far was basically what it comes down to. She has been doing some things to clear her arteries and basically working towards more healthy, but the docs insist on keeping her on medications all the same. They did reduce the blood pressure med from 200 mg to 12.5mg... Other than short of breath, she is doing pretty good.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:04 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
wow... that's too bad. My Dad (luckily in good shape still) has been going regularly for monitoring, etc for the last 20+ years since his triple bypass and valve replacement. If I'm reading this correctly it sounds like either the dr isn't monitoring close enough or ?? - Obviously I'm not a dr so I have no case to shoot my mouth off... but that is serious biz providing cardiac care! Glad to hear she is on the mend.

I just went for my chlorestrol check this morning... thx to my wife's idea of getting a check up they found I was starting to be at (a slight) risk but my numbers are excellent now.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:24 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
My mom was an RN for 45 years, so she knows a lot about what was going on, and a lot of how it has become a drug company's world, not the patient's best interest world... Many studies are deviating from the cholesterol levels being as big a deal as they were, it is more of a signal that something else is wrong, not the problem itself. It's kind of like putting a bandaid on it, rather than getting the stitches the wound really needs...

Old 03-01-2006, 01:38 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
Interesting... I can see your point. THanks. I think I'll have my wife read up. She's excellent at finding information like that and gathering all the views and the facts. I'm sure I could eat better and exercize for starters....

Old 03-01-2006, 01:49 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Diet is definitely key, excersize doesn't hurt either.. many of the food we have today are contributing to many of our health problems. Have her research Nutrisystem's methods, the creator, Dr Diana Schwarzbein has some books out that may be of interest as well, it's more about lifestyle change in how we eat and such than it is anything. With her program, you get filled up on less food, as it is the kind of food that was being eaten before all the industrialized foods came out, and eople weren't having the troubles with being overweight like we do now. She actually found people were losing weight by eating foods that we have been told are fattening. Things like whole milk are actually better than skim for us, and weight can be lost while drinking it. My wife has been on the plan for a while now, and went to the point of getting their preplanned meals, and has lost about 20 pounds recently. The nice thing is that with their preplanned meals, you don't have to buy them forever, as they give you the recipes once you get to your goal weight. If your wife is into health and nutrition, she will find this very interesting. The link is direct to the site, sales pitch and all... but my wife and mother have both read the books, and being medical professionals, it all makes perfect sense to them. Here

Last edited by fellro86; 03-01-2006 at 02:10 PM.