1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

94' E-150 Transmission Woes !!! HELP ??

Old 03-02-2006, 11:45 AM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts
94' E-150 Transmission Woes !!! HELP ??

1994' E-150 Chariot Van
351 V8
112,000 miles

Breif History:

My father bought the van in very good shape about 3 years ago. At the time it had about 60K miles on it. Hes been using it daily and its been great. Just recently it developed a shake in overdrive. It wouldnt happen every time in overdrive, but alot of the times it would shift to overdrive and shake the entire van. It would force you to downshift through the gas pedal and make it shift. Other than that the van was really smooth as silk. Would drive nice, shift perfect, downshift nicely. It got to the point that my dad decided to go and have the trans. rebuilt after multiple times changing the oil in it and trying additives and such.

Rebuild Time:

Last week got it back from the Full Rebuild and New Universal Joints. $2400 from a Very Reputable Transmission shop.
We notice that its shifting very oddley and were both puzzeled to what it could be. It will shift to overdrive super fast and kind of acts confused when your driving the truck. Its completly different than what it used to feel like before the trans rebuild. Its almost like the tranny isnt communicating with the motor any more. When you accelerate anything off the line with constant throttle it just seems confused, not really knowing what gear to go with, wondering all around through gears and gets to overdrive SUPER fast and not like it used to be....Under WOT, it doesnt feel smooth any more. Kinda like it wants to shift before your even ready to let off the gas. Something isnt communicating right with something. I know alot of cars, but not really alot of automatic transmissions.

Can someone please help before I go back and talk to the transmission shop. thanks

-Matt in NJ

Old 03-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Matt, I used to own a transmission shop and it sounds like something went wrong in the rebuild process. Could be an honest mistake by the tech or it could be a problem with a part or in the valve body or electronics.

You need to take it back to the shop right away and have them take a look at it. If in fact they are a reputable shop, they will fix it under warranty. Give them the opportunity to correct their problem and please be patient with them. It happens to the best of them. They will be much more likely to treat you well if you are nice when you go in.

If you get blown off or they try to dodge the problem, then its time to play hardball.

Good Luck and let me know what they tell you.

Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT