Sponsored by:

grinding noise when putting in gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 07:41 AM
jonny bravo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grinding noise when putting in gear

I just dropped my driveline this morning,after it dropped when I went to put it into park it made a grinding noise like something may have bound up when the driveline fell not sure where to look it didn't do that before. I'm hoping I did'nt damage more than just u-joints. Also I tried to put it into 4h to get it off the road but it didnt want to do that either I ended up getting a wrecker. This is on an 81 with c6 not sure on the transfercase the front drive line would spin when I engaged the 4wheel so I know it was doing some thing. It's finally getting light enoug to look at the damage I did finally get the 4h to engage, wish it would have earlier would have been cheaper that a wrecker. it's still making the grinding noise but only when I put it into park. any help would greatly be appreciated Thanks.

Last edited by jonny bravo; 01-20-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:15 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
When you say grinding noise, is it like it is binding, or like a gear grinding?

If it is like binding, and only when you are putting it into park, I don't see how it could be the driveline since it is not moving when you put it into park...unless you are still moving then it will make noise.

If it is like a gear, could be a tranny issue.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:45 AM
jonny bravo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I may have figured it out stupid me. Since I could'nt get the transfercase to lock up. when it's in gear it's spinning so when I go back to park it would be like moving and placing it into park (no drive line to stop the tranny when the brake's would be applied).