Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Point me in the right direction (fuel suction air leakage and CCV mod)

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 01-19-2006, 01:46 PM
dvw70
Junior User
dvw70 is starting off with a positive reputation.

This air entrainment in the fuel via the fuel suction design;

Is there a thread detailing the repalcement/modification etc. for this issue? My cackle is much more prounounced when cold (below 30F) and it doesn't improve.

Before I move forward on the fuel rail bleed system (and I cannot find any reason why it should'nt be offered as a kit no doubt!) I'd like to make the suction side as airtight as possible.

Also - this CCV thing - how do you clean all the pipes once it's rerouted? (probably the answer is one my father would give - remove the gunk very carefully!)

Thanks a bunch.

David

Old 01-19-2006, 02:09 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
guzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by dvw70
..........I'd like to make the suction side as airtight as possible.
ITP Diesel sells a kit to eliminate all of the push-on connectors and in-tank leakage where you can introduce air into the fuel lines. I rounded up all of the parts needed to do the mod myself and the cost was equal to what ITP Diesel sells. If you go this route you will want to install a prepump fuel filter. Another mod you could do while installing this kit would be the harpoon mod, allowing your tank to fill quicker.

Also - this CCV thing - how do you clean all the pipes once it's rerouted? (probably the answer is one my father would give - remove the gunk very carefully!).......
I havn't done this mod yet but I understand that if you keep a downward slope on the hose, I will keep clear of excessive buildup. When you have a low spot in the hose, this is where oils will accumulate and plug the line, possible causing engine seals to leak.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:02 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
PSNut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by guzzle92
I havn't done this mod yet but I understand that if you keep a downward slope on the hose, I will keep clear of excessive buildup. When you have a low spot in the hose, this is where oils will accumulate and plug the line, possible causing engine seals to leak.
Doesn't really matter on orientation as long as there are no kinks. Make sure u route to rear of truck...the fumes stink!
Nut

Old 01-19-2006, 08:50 PM
cookie88
Post Fiend
cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by PSNut
Make sure u route to rear of truck...the fumes stink!
I made an interesting discovery along those lines a couple of weeks ago. My CCV hose was routed behind the cab, about mid-bed, and I got a prety strong whiff at every stoplight. Well, I had started to see a little higher oil consumption than normal, and found the hose to be almost closed with all the oil gunk in it. So, I cut it off right at the turn at the firewall pointing straight at the ground, and to my surprise, not only has the truck not used a single drop of oil since then, but I no longer get the smell or the blue "steam" that used to come out of the hose.

My theory is the extended hose allows the gasses to cool and congeal, which eventually plugs up the hose and causes an overpressure in the crankcase, but even if I'm way off base, I'll be leaving the hose as is from here on.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:58 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
PSNut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by cookie88
I made an interesting discovery along those lines a couple of weeks ago. My CCV hose was routed behind the cab, about mid-bed, and I got a prety strong whiff at every stoplight. Well, I had started to see a little higher oil consumption than normal, and found the hose to be almost closed with all the oil gunk in it. So, I cut it off right at the turn at the firewall pointing straight at the ground, and to my surprise, not only has the truck not used a single drop of oil since then, but I no longer get the smell or the blue "steam" that used to come out of the hose.

My theory is the extended hose allows the gasses to cool and congeal, which eventually plugs up the hose and causes an overpressure in the crankcase, but even if I'm way off base, I'll be leaving the hose as is from here on.
inetersting!...i ran into the very SAME thing and found my hose kinked slightly at the firewall.Needless to say i re-routed to clear everything and it's been fine since. I always check the hose end for good air pressure from the CCV. I'm wondering if tying into exhaust like STrokin does wil draw the bypass out due to a vacuum pull of hot exhaust.
Nut

Old 01-19-2006, 09:37 PM
cookie88
Post Fiend
cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.
My apologies to dvw70 for hijacking the thread.

Is there a thread detailing the repalcement/modification etc. for this issue?
There are quite literally dozens of them. A simple search for "fuel tank mod" or "hutch mod" or "pre-pump" mod will provide hours of reading enjoyment.

Also - this CCV thing - how do you clean all the pipes once it's rerouted?
Just take it apart and clean it with a rag and some degreaser.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Did you read this?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=260173

The simplest explanation is you must get rid of all the quick connects between the fuel tank feed line and the fuel pump inlet. They are great at keeping fuel in, and also great at letting air into the fuel stream as the fuel is being pulled toward the fuel pump. Getting rid of the quick connects cures most of the air intrusion problems. The easiest way to cut the collars of the flex lines is with a high speed cut off wheel, splitting the shoulder of the crimp that holds it on. It leaves behind a perfect flared area to attach the fuel line and some clamps.
You could also just cut the steel line with a tubing cutter right at the end of the shoulder. If you do that on a pressureized fitting, you must flare the end of the steel line or it will blow off.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:36 AM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
Is there a thread detailing the repalcement/modification etc. for this issue? My cackle is much more prounounced when cold (below 30F) and it doesn't improve.
You might also read this one:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=446151
Before I move forward on the fuel rail bleed system (and I cannot find any reason why it should'nt be offered as a kit no doubt!)
If I understand what you're looking for, there are kits for the fuel rail return system, just may not have Kwik's air bleed in them.
Here:
http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail
Or here, 3rd product down:
http://www.dieselinnovations.com/di....products&cat=2

Old 01-20-2006, 02:33 AM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by jtharvey
You might also read this one:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=446151
If I understand what you're looking for, there are kits for the fuel rail return system, just may not have Kwik's air bleed in them.
Here:
http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?crn=152&rn=277&action=show_detail
Or here, 3rd product down:
http://www.dieselinnovations.com/di....products&cat=2
Those don't need the little bleed oriface that I came up with. I didn't want to spend the $450.00 and came up with something cheaper. On those the fuel pressure is regulated after the fuel goes through the heads, not before.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:42 AM
dvw70
Junior User
dvw70 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks a bunch

Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Those don't need the little bleed oriface that I came up with. I didn't want to spend the $450.00 and came up with something cheaper. On those the fuel pressure is regulated after the fuel goes through the heads, not before.
Yup - I've read what I've found or been given (and you've all helped a lot!)

With my third little girl on the ground and my two veterans (5 and 7), my time under-the-hood (or under he frame) is limited. So I took the lazy route and asked.......

"What in the world are you still doing awake?" "And what can be so good that it's 2:30am and your staring at the computer screen?!"

Old 01-21-2006, 01:57 AM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Yup - I've read what I've found or been given (and you've all helped a lot!)

With my third little girl on the ground and my two veterans (5 and 7), my time under-the-hood (or under he frame) is limited. So I took the lazy route and asked.......

"What in the world are you still doing awake?" "And what can be so good that it's 2:30am and your staring at the computer screen?!"
I live in Seattle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.