Transfer case and Tranny rebuildable by a do-it-yourslefer???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 12:16 AM
smurray
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case and Tranny rebuildable by a do-it-yourslefer???

Okay...here's my deal. I just bought a new car, so I don't have to use my truck (1989 F-150 4x4 5.0L w/ 165,000 miles) as my daily driver. And now I'm going to school at Montana State, so I can use the schools auto shop (although it's old and the lift doesn't even work). I have a couple things that I want to do to it, but I'm not sure if I'm delving into bad territory for a do-it-yourselfer.

1) I have a slightly leaky transfer case (leaks between the two halves at the bottom), and the transmission leaks near the bellhousing (only a little). I want to go in and strap up my engine, then pull the tranny and transfer case as a whole unit together...but I'm not sure what I'm going to do then. I have thought about rebuilding both while they're out, because rebuild kits seem so cheap. I've been poking around the internet a little, here and there, trying to find out what it takes to rebuild a T-19 and a Borg Warner 1356 transfer case. There were really nice articles on both the transmission (https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...d__Part_6.html ), and the transfer case ( http://www.wildercafe.com/fordtech/Thumbnails.asp).

I guess I'm just not sure if I feel comfortable rebuilding my transmission or transfer case because they're so complicated, and I'm not sure if I feel comfortable with possibly permanantly breaking these two things.

Do you guys think that someone who has never had any experience with rebuilding a transfer case or transmission can do this just by following along with these online articles and a manual, and just going by the seat of my pants???? Should I just have a tranny shop do this???

I could ask about a million questions about this, but right now I'll just keep it simple so my post doesn't turn into a book. I would greatly appreciate any and all input from anyones experience with this...

Thanks!

Scott

Old 01-17-2006, 03:26 AM
classicfordfreak
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am currently attending university of northwestern ohio where i am majoring to be an auto mechanic. I have currently already taken transmission classes and have learned that they aren't that bad. If you can find a book on the transfer case and transmission and can follow the book, i am very confident that mostly anyone can do it themselves. It is not very hard at all. As long as you do it slowly and carefully you would have no trouble at all, guaranteed.