1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 f250 4x4 upfitter switches

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 11:57 AM
dao57
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 f250 4x4 upfitter switches

Does anyone here know where to access the upfitter switch wiring on the new f250's ? I want to add an air compressor and would like to control it from one of these switches.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:31 PM
jetact
Elder User
You should be able to find them just inside the cover for the fuse box. They wiil be tapped together in there. The wires that go through the fire wall will be in that area also. If you go to the 6.0 diesel thread there should be a tech folder at the top that you should be able to find a picture or something to that effect.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:30 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not sure if it is different for a diesel but on mine the wires for the upfitters are located BEHIND the drivers side fuse box. I had to remove the fuse box to get to them. They are taped to a larger bundle of wires. The Owner's manual tells you which wire is for which switch. I think 2 of them have 30amp fuses and 2 of them have 10 amp fuses.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:35 PM
jetact
Elder User
Kimminau2,
You are correct, I forgot to mention to take out the fuse box is the easiest way to ork in there. It takes a 10mm socket and it comes out easy.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's a link with the info I followed:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=409720

Hope it helps!

Old 01-16-2006, 08:53 PM
rray32539
Senior User
Click on the upfitter switch line in my signature.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:09 AM
jetact
Elder User
RRAY, that is the best upfitter diagram and instruction I have seen. Nice job.

Old 01-28-2006, 07:43 AM
wyatt491
New User
Upfitter install

I agree with jetact!! The instructions posted by rray32539 are awesome and is some of the most detailed information I have ever located on the internet when searching for technical info of this sort. With these instructions even the most novice amongst us could do this install. Great job and thanks so much for sharing so the rest of us can enjoy this cool feature. I only hope my dealer will sell me the part once I provide them the number. They checked the fiche today and the part and number is not shown. The parts guy called Michigan and they told him it is not listed because Ford only wants to sell the switches to dealer service departments on a replacement basis for vehicles who had the switches installed at the factory, but only to repair defective or damaged switches. They will sell the switches to dealers with an R.O. number, but not over the counter to the general public. The reason stated was that customers have bought them and screwed up the install and have brought the trucks in for repair. I would have thought this was BS, but I listened to the conversation with the rep in Michigan. We'll see what happens when I go back on Monday and provide them with the part number and tell them to order it for me.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:29 AM
kimminau2
Elder User
I have the factory upfitters, but that is one awesome description.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:26 PM
rray32539
Senior User
Originally Posted by wyatt491
I agree with jetact!! The instructions posted by rray32539 are awesome and is some of the most detailed information I have ever located on the internet when searching for technical info of this sort. With these instructions even the most novice amongst us could do this install. Great job and thanks so much for sharing so the rest of us can enjoy this cool feature. I only hope my dealer will sell me the part once I provide them the number. They checked the fiche today and the part and number is not shown. The parts guy called Michigan and they told him it is not listed because Ford only wants to sell the switches to dealer service departments on a replacement basis for vehicles who had the switches installed at the factory, but only to repair defective or damaged switches. They will sell the switches to dealers with an R.O. number, but not over the counter to the general public. The reason stated was that customers have bought them and screwed up the install and have brought the trucks in for repair. I would have thought this was BS, but I listened to the conversation with the rep in Michigan. We'll see what happens when I go back on Monday and provide them with the part number and tell them to order it for me.
Try some of the Ford dealers who sponsor this forum first and give them the opportunity for your business. If they give you the same story, go to www.powerstrokeshop.com , the parts department for Wabash Ford in Indianapolis, IN and look for the 05UPFITTERSWITCHKIT. It's under the "Specials" icon. That is the place I got my kit. They package all of the separate parts together and put them in one box, ready for shipment. BTW, I am just a satisfied customer, and am not connected with them in any way. (They are in Indiana and I'm in Florida!)

My personal take on this is that your dealer is feeding you a line of BS. The "rep in Michigan" was probably another guy in the parts department on another extension. Those guys aren't paid to talk to John Q. Public. Sleazy if you ask me. He wants the install for himself and would probably charge about $350 parts and labor for the job. Bolting in a control box, running a harness through empty space in the dashboard and plugging in a plug to a spot in the fuse box is not rocket science. My grandson could do it.

Last edited by rray32539; 01-28-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:37 AM
wyatt491
New User
Talking Upfitters

Thanks again. I found the link on the Powerstroke shop website. At least I know now I can get them and I'm stoked!!

Old 01-31-2006, 05:27 PM
skyman_43
New User
First you have to REMOVE the fuse panel inside under the dash to access the ORANGE wires going to the up fitter switches. Also they are short so if you dont want to remove the fuse panel again, I made a 4 wire harness about 18 inches long so its easy to hook up.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:39 PM
jssalaz
New User
Originally Posted by kimminau2
I have the factory upfitters, but that is one awesome description.
Hi,

I have the factory upfitter switches too. But my manual doesn't provide any instructions on how to hook up to these. Does your manual have any information on that?

Joe

Old 03-02-2006, 09:52 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Yes, it is in the Owner's manual, but what it does not say is that the blunt cut wires are BEHIND the drivers side fuse box. You need to remove the fuse box and there will be four wires 2-10amp and 2-30amp. The color coding for the wires is in the book. It is not a big deal to remove the fuse box, 4 bolts and pull it out of the way.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:44 PM
jssalaz
New User
I found 4 blunt wires in the engine compartment (blue, red, black and white) by the brake master cylinder. They are near the relay box in the same area.

Like I say, the upfitter switches were factory installed so I imagine that if these are the wires I just have to hook up to them and use a chassis ground?

Just for reference. My vehicle is a 2005 f350 V10. I've looked in the manual front to back. I'm sure I'm missing the reference to the upfitter switches. Where in your manual did you find the reference?

Quick Reply: 2006 f250 4x4 upfitter switches