Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Which is best 6 pos. chip TS or DP??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 11:33 PM
the1mg
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Which is best 6 pos. chip TS or DP??

I'm lookin for some insite on both the TS and DP 6 Position chips. Which is the most bang for the buck?

Old 01-16-2006, 01:43 AM
Turbo_Whistler
Senior User
Both good but i believe dp is the best. DP will cost a little more, but i think it is worth it. I have ts and the 50,75, and 100 hp stages are pretty good, but the fuel 7 (140) is nasty, too much timing and my motor sounds totally different, like a rattling and grinding sound. I hear all of jodys tunes are a lot smoother.
Jody at dp tuner also has good tranny tunes with his chips, if you have an auto tranny.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:44 AM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A second vote for Jody (DP-Tuner)!!

Old 01-16-2006, 05:13 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Jody's the man...everyone is trying to copy his code! Patent protection.

Nut

Old 01-16-2006, 07:15 AM
the1mg
Junior User
Smile

Thanks a lot folks , it's kinda what I figured!
By the way turbo-whistler, how do I make my 7.3 sound like a jet??

Old 01-16-2006, 08:07 AM
edub32
Posting Guru
Get a wicked wheel and a big 5" pipe

Old 01-16-2006, 02:19 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i just installed a TS performance chip, it is alot better than the edge products. the 6 position DPtuner chip was $475 through ITP diesel , and the TS performance chip was $415 through Garrett @ Blackclouddiesel. he even gave me a coupon for $10 off, and he threw in some custom transmission tunes, which are really good. i havent drove it much, but i put it on 140 (there is a new and improved "fuel7" setting that is safer) and it wil easily roll the smoke. i smoked out my 75x55' shop with about 10 mashes of the go juice. there was still a blueish cloud in the morning

Old 01-16-2006, 06:07 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
i just installed a TS performance chip, it is alot better than the edge products. the 6 position DPtuner chip was $475 through ITP diesel , and the TS performance chip was $415 through Garrett @ Blackclouddiesel.
Strokin, what were some of your major deciding factors when you chose the TS chip over the DP chip? Aside from price, what else was it? I'm still looking around, so I'm trying to weigh out the differences between the two as well. I'm leaning heavily toward the DP chip. I spoke to DP today, and liked what they had to say.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:11 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jtharvey
Strokin, what were some of your major deciding factors when you chose the TS chip over the DP chip? Aside from price, what else was it? I'm still looking around, so I'm trying to weigh out the differences between the two as well. I'm leaning heavily toward the DP chip. I spoke to DP today, and liked what they had to say.

I am good friends with Garrett at BlackCloudDiesel, and he talked me into it over a course of a few days. the price was low enough that it enabled me to get a TC lockup switch and still save money over a DP tuner chip. plus, Garrett gave me some free transmission tunes that were custom, that Jody *probably* would have charged extra for. On top of that, he gave me a nice discount on the whole order.

oh BTW, he said that his and Jody's tunes are almost the same, and the only difference is that he had to change a few things to work around the patent.

it's your choice. you can chat with Garrett (his FTE screenname is BlackCloudDiesel) and tell him Kris sent you.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:23 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
On that topic, would I have to get rid of my stuff in order to have a chip that shifts the tranny different? If you look at my profile you will see what I have but basically a banks 75 chip with the 6gun on top, the tranny has a coast clutch controller for pulling loads but I still have a banks transcommand sitting in the garage. I just seem to have a hard time getting info if the tranny should have its own toys or the puter should have it all? The tc is a double clutch but I think that new junk is going to come out before it tears up another tranny.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:28 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Thanks strokin. I can see why you'd go that route. I would have too if I were in your shoes. Now I'm jealous of you. Chip Envy. Someday, I'll get my own chip too.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:31 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by kennedyford
On that topic, would I have to get rid of my stuff in order to have a chip that shifts the tranny different? If you look at my profile you will see what I have but basically a banks 75 chip with the 6gun on top, the tranny has a coast clutch controller for pulling loads but I still have a banks transcommand sitting in the garage. I just seem to have a hard time getting info if the tranny should have its own toys or the puter should have it all? The tc is a double clutch but I think that new junk is going to come out before it tears up another tranny.
The 6-gun should stack with a chip ok, but you'd probably have to get rid of the 75hp banks chip. I'd say the transmission controllers would be ok in there, but you'd probably want to talk directly with Jody at DP tuner or Garrett at BCD to discuss your particular setup and get their advice.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:44 PM
bigdaddyTank
Elder User
I have been running the TS 6 position for 6 months now and love it. I went with TS because I have an Excursion. At the time Jody was not doing much with Excursions, now he does them but it requires a reflash of the computer.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Turbo_Whistler
Senior User
Another thing to consider before buying, i beleive now all the tuners, (ts, dp tuner, DI, etc.) have agreed to not reburn each others chips. So if you buy one and want to switch to another guys tunes, you will have to buy a complete chip instead of just getting your current one reburnt. I will go with jody next time, i'd like to get some custom burns if I ever get some more mods on the psd, and hes the man for that.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:21 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Turbo_Whistler
Another thing to consider before buying, i beleive now all the tuners, (ts, dp tuner, DI, etc.) have agreed to not reburn each others chips. So if you buy one and want to switch to another guys tunes, you will have to buy a complete chip instead of just getting your current one reburnt. I will go with jody next time, i'd like to get some custom burns if I ever get some more mods on the psd, and hes the man for that.
Hmmm...yes. So that's a point towards Jody in my book.

Quick Reply: Which is best 6 pos. chip TS or DP??