Sponsored by: DP Tuner

No more warranty for me!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 11:05 AM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No more warranty for me!!

Well, I got free inspections for the life of my truck when I bought it new, and it is due for inspection next month - so I figured I'd get my free inspection, and see if I could get my oil leak fixxed for the $100 detuctible. So I made an appointment and took it in last week.

NOPE!! I got a call from the service guy saying the oil leak IS at the pedistal - but it is not covered under warranty because of the stuff I have done to my truck - and if I want them to fix it it would be $900 something. He then stated that the "bigger exhaust, and stack set up" that I have "makes it run hotter, and so the turbo pedistal is warped, and needs to be replaced". So that's fine - I'll fix it myself! ....but MAN - get your story straight about what a bigger exhaust does!! lol

THEN when I went to pick up my rig - the girl at the desk accidentally gave me FORD'S set of paperwork - with the printed out "refuse warranty paper" all printed out. It basically said, in so many words "refuse warranty on ANY OIL LEAK, if the truck is not bone stock", along with some hand written notes on my truck and what is modified. When she realized that she gave me the wrong set, she got all flustered, and quickly demanded the paperwork back - and "that was their copy and not for me"!!

SO - Just wanted everyone to realize that Ford is serious about denying warranty's for ANY and ALL reasons - however they can get out of it!!

AND... I am NOT writing this to whine and complain in ANY way - just wanted to give a heads up to those that don't really think their warranty is really in danger!!

Old 01-15-2006, 11:18 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that is a classic one. the larger free flowing exhaust actually increases temperatures.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:33 AM
T.R.Bauer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power has a Price

I don't blame ford. There are people in here that don't have clue about mods and think that they are not a big deal. The truth is that mods (exhaust/chips) make more power and they really "push the package". We all know they do. Frankly, I love these all these mods. But, let's not pretend that there is no price to pay for doing mods because THERE IS a price to pay. Whenever an engine makes more power it also makes a good deal more heat because heat is a byproduct of this increase in power. This extra heat takes its toll on various parts of the truck. Parts of the truck that were never designed to take this amount of power and heat. Believe it or not, Ford did a really good job designing your truck from the factory and gave you a really nice blend of power and longevity. As for the aftermarket dealers.....power sells and they don't have to worry about it coming back to them to get repaired and they could care less if what they designed breaks every single part on your truck. You paid for power and power is what you got....along with all of its problems. It doesn't sound like a ford problem. It sounds like an owner and aftermarket problem. Now, if your door handle fell off your truck and ford wouldn't fix it because of the exhaust mod and the chip, that would be a different story. I'd be with you all the way.
Originally Posted by CAT_man_963
Well, I got free inspections for the life of my truck when I bought it new, and it is due for inspection next month - so I figured I'd get my free inspection, and see if I could get my oil leak fixxed for the $100 detuctible. So I made an appointment and took it in last week.

NOPE!! I got a call from the service guy saying the oil leak IS at the pedistal - but it is not covered under warranty because of the stuff I have done to my truck - and if I want them to fix it it would be $900 something. He then stated that the "bigger exhaust, and stack set up" that I have "makes it run hotter, and so the turbo pedistal is warped, and needs to be replaced". So that's fine - I'll fix it myself! ....but MAN - get your story straight about what a bigger exhaust does!! lol

THEN when I went to pick up my rig - the girl at the desk accidentally gave me FORD'S set of paperwork - with the printed out "refuse warranty paper" all printed out. It basically said, in so many words "refuse warranty on ANY OIL LEAK, if the truck is not bone stock", along with some hand written notes on my truck and what is modified. When she realized that she gave me the wrong set, she got all flustered, and quickly demanded the paperwork back - and "that was their copy and not for me"!!

SO - Just wanted everyone to realize that Ford is serious about denying warranty's for ANY and ALL reasons - however they can get out of it!!

AND... I am NOT writing this to whine and complain in ANY way - just wanted to give a heads up to those that don't really think their warranty is really in danger!!
Moderators note: Post edited to remove guidelines violation. "You may not use this site to discuss or organize any legal action, including but not limited to class-actions."

Last edited by cookie88; 01-15-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:33 AM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
.........the turbo pedistal is warped, and needs to be replaced". So that's fine - I'll fix it myself! ....
I figure that's the risk I would take before I started my mods.....barring a catostrophic engine failure, this site will have to be my warrenty.

I'll be curious to find out if the pedistal is really warped or if it just needs oversized o-rings. Keep us posted when you tear her down.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:50 AM
T.R.Bauer
Senior User
Either way the larger o-rings may fix it for a while.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:12 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by guzzle92
I'll be curious to find out if the pedistal is really warped or if it just needs oversized o-rings. Keep us posted when you tear her down.
Well I was wondering about that too - I wonder if that's the problem when the new Ford o-rings aren't sealing up a pedistal leak? Well - I'm getting a new, NON-EBV pedistal, and the oversize o-rings - though I don't know how you'd tell if the old pedistal IS warped??

Old 01-15-2006, 12:34 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
WOW Cat_man...that's some pretty good dealer BS. Could it possibly have something to do with Ford's stock price? When Ford tunes the motor a little
each successive year to ADD power isn't that modding the motor? When Ford mods the motor u get a 6.0L POS! When us FTE folks mod the motor u get an awesome tuned machine. go figure.
Nut

Old 01-15-2006, 12:51 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
........I don't know how you'd tell if the old pedistal IS warped??
Especially with it still on the truck

Old 01-15-2006, 01:40 PM
T.R.Bauer
Senior User
Me either....I thought you needed a straight edge and a feeler guage. New o-rings would probably be fix.
Originally Posted by guzzle92
Especially with it still on the truck

Old 01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
lancer
Elder User
Sounds like a crock to to me catman. I'll bet you its your ebv rod leaking. I thought it was my pedistal o-rings to until i got into it. Besides if your turbo got hot enough to to warp the pedistal i'm sure your exhaust turbine would be molten metal. I used factory o-rings when i did my turbo repair and they don't leak!! Hope you get your truck fixed soon.

P.S Ford is probably sick of fixing things after all the probs with the 6.0. Gotta be getting hard on the pocket!!

Old 01-15-2006, 02:11 PM
T.R.Bauer
Senior User
They big pipes actually can increase the temps. The big pipes have a lower exhaust gas velocity because of their increase in size. If you have ever had an exhaust gas temp guage on a stocker you'd be surprised at how cool the factory exhaust really runs, even when the truck is pushed. When you put bigger pipes on it it is kinda of like turning the fan down on a lower setting to cool you off more. It really doesn't work. However, the large pipes make it so you can put a chip in it and get WAY more power out of it. This increase in power does increase the exhaust gas velocity and you'd think that this would cool it. And it does to an extent. However, the chip and exhaust created a lot more power and that means more heat. Power is directly correlated with the heat production of the engine and is unfortunate law of physics here on Earth. Most of the energy produced is still going out the exhaust no matter what you do. In general, the more power the hotter the exhaust temps. The bigger the pipes (especially with a good chip) the more power, the higher the exhaust temp (to a degree), the bigger the smile that goes on your face as the tires smoke and the truck launches off the line. Why do you think us guys with chips and exhaust are constantly watching the exhaust gas gauges? Because more power equals more heat and we don't want melted gooey turbos. Stockers don't have much to worry about (especially with autos) because they are in constant balance by design and the factory computer programming. If you don't believe me, try running a factory truck really really hard and see what happens. It is likely it will be just fine. In fact, I know it would be. I used run it really hard and nothing every happened to it. I don't want to find out what will happen if I did I with my modified screamer of a truck. My truck has double the power it used to have. I know with that kind of power I could do some serious damage to some seriously expensive components.
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
that is a classic one. the larger free flowing exhaust actually increases temperatures.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:30 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by T.R.Bauer
They big pipes actually can increase the temps.......
Not my experience! With the stock pipe with a BTM and 50hp tune, I could get the EGT up to 1200 easily by punching it and had to back off before reaching 60mph. Now with the MBRP 4", I don't hit 1100 at 80mph.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:50 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Wouldn't a 4 or 5" exhaust,especially SS, have more metal to pull the heat away from the engine?
If u where playing goalie in Hockey and where wearing a restrictive dust particle filtering mask would u overheat faster do to the breathing restriction than using a standard goalies mask....LOL!!

Last edited by PSNut; 01-15-2006 at 03:00 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-15-2006, 03:09 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by T.R.Bauer
They big pipes actually can increase the temps. The big pipes have a lower exhaust gas velocity because of their increase in size. If you have ever had an exhaust gas temp guage on a stocker you'd be surprised at how cool the factory exhaust really runs, even when the truck is pushed. When you put bigger pipes on it it is kinda of like turning the fan down on a lower setting to cool you off more. It really doesn't work. However, the large pipes make it so you can put a chip in it and get WAY more power out of it. This increase in power does increase the exhaust gas velocity and you'd think that this would cool it. And it does to an extent. However, the chip and exhaust created a lot more power and that means more heat. Power is directly correlated with the heat production of the engine and is unfortunate law of physics here on Earth. Most of the energy produced is still going out the exhaust no matter what you do. In general, the more power the hotter the exhaust temps. The bigger the pipes (especially with a good chip) the more power, the higher the exhaust temp (to a degree), the bigger the smile that goes on your face as the tires smoke and the truck launches off the line. Why do you think us guys with chips and exhaust are constantly watching the exhaust gas gauges? Because more power equals more heat and we don't want melted gooey turbos. Stockers don't have much to worry about (especially with autos) because they are in constant balance by design and the factory computer programming. If you don't believe me, try running a factory truck really really hard and see what happens. It is likely it will be just fine. In fact, I know it would be. I used run it really hard and nothing every happened to it. I don't want to find out what will happen if I did I with my modified screamer of a truck. My truck has double the power it used to have. I know with that kind of power I could do some serious damage to some seriously expensive components.
Wow now THAT is some dizzying intelect there hoss!! I think you are a little confused - cause you sure confused me!!!

You are talking 2 different things - and mixxing them around and calling them the same!! Exhaust size, and adding more fuel!

Bigger exhaust = LOWER egt's - NO 2 WAYS about it!!
More fuel = HIGHER egt's

BIG PIPES DO NOT INCREASE TEMPS BY THEMSELVES!!

Old 01-15-2006, 03:21 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
with the same engine programming, a 4'' exhaust can lower EGT's up to (notice UP TO) 200* than at the same situation with a stock exhaust. i've seen it done.

Quick Reply: No more warranty for me!!