Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Tough time towing today, WITHA TURBO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 10:43 PM
ATSDRIVER
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tough time towing today, WITHA TURBO!!!

89 F250 With the ATS Wastegated, c6 4.11 gears, i had the toughest time getting up around 60MPH into the wind though, once it was there it was fine, but it took foooooor ever to get there.

Downwind was a different story it still took a little while, but i could easily maintain 65-70 mph on level ground. But into the wind it seemed that i had my freakin foot in it the whole time. Any suggestions, i just had new injectors put in, and the timing has never been touched. I would like to turn my pump up just a touch, because i have absolutely no smoke at any RPM and i have no smoke even under a load.

Any suggestions, or comments. I have no pyrometer by the way.

Mike Howard

Old 01-14-2006, 10:53 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo, wanna turn it up and no pyro are you outta your everlovin mind...... do the timing first. Then ensure fuel and air filters are new.

Could be a wastegate problem too..........

Last edited by PLC7.3; 01-14-2006 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Get a pyrometer and boost gauge first.
You may scare yourself once it is installed before you ever turn the pump up.

Install the thermocouple in the exhaust manifold for the best numbers, I did mine on the drivers side just above the cross over pipe connection.
Once you know what those numbers are we can make it better.

From my years in semi's I know the wind from any direction in the 180 degree radius around the front of the truck can be a bear. The hardest to go in was 45 degrees left or right of dead ahead. When you have to drop several gears on flat ground in a KT 600 Cummins to keep the EGT's under control you learn the power of wind real fast.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:29 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
When you have to drop several gears on flat ground in a KT 600 Cummins to keep the EGT's under control you learn the power of wind real fast.
ain't that the truth!!!
driving down the interstate with the cruise set at 65. come up to a "wind tunnel" created by hills on each side of the flat road. all of a sudden, you realize you ain't going as fast as before, and floor it. your truck that can normally do 85+mph can barely maintain 50 because of the headwind, and the EGT's are running right at 1100º

Old 01-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It was much worse out in the high plains where you had hundreds of miles of nothing in the way to break the wind and hundereds of miles to get where you were going.
Plus the higher elevation already had the pyrometer going way on the high side.

Throw in a 30 MPH headwind and Kansas was like a brick wall 470 miles thick.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:54 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
you can keep them kansas brick walls. i have enough trouble with the east coast valleys.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:24 PM
94_turbo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get a pyro, and a boost gauge--as per daves instructions--then turn up the pump two flats--and see where the temps are--and keep it below 12000 degrees--unless you want melted pistons------the shorten the wastegate rod till you boost reaches a max of 12 lbs--and still watch the pyro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!youll think you have a new truck------