1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Driveshaft Support bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 09:47 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driveshaft Support bearing

I searched the forums and couldn't come up with anything on the driveshaft support bearing.

The rubber around my bearing is getting old and cracked. I haven't felt any odd vibrations or noise but I don't like it's looks. I ordered one from Napa auto and expect to install it next weekend. It is a complete bearing support and kit.

Since I have never changed one of these I was wondering if there is anything I should watch for or be careful of. Or is there any little secrets I should be wanting to know.

It looks pretty straight forward, I was just going to remove the complete driveline from tranny to rearend replace the bearing after I clean and paint the drivelines and install back under the truck. Is it that simple or am I dreaming?

jd

Old 01-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Putt
Posting Guru
jd, I hate to tell you, but...you're dreaming!! The bearing is pressed on and held in place with a pressed lock collar. It can take 10-15 TONS of pressure to remove and install. This is one of the jobs I leave to a machine shop with the equipment.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:11 AM
Haaser
Senior User
Wink Carrier Bearing

Hello

Look under the title carrier bearing. All you need for this job is a die grinder to cut the old one off and just use a tube and hammer to put it back on.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:49 AM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Ok so it is not going to be as easy as I thought.
I do have access to a 50 ton press and I have a great selection of tools including pneumatic and electric die grinders.
It kind of sounds like replacing a axle bearing on a 9" Ford. I have done that job before.

I will go check out the article.

Thanks guys for the warning.

jd

Old 01-25-2006, 01:59 PM
gtrippleb
Freshman User
What all would be involved in replacing this? Just found out that this is the problem with my truck. Not sure how to get the driveshaft off which would probably be my major work I would assume. Ford is quoting me 270 for the job which 57 is the part so 213 is the labor. I'm thinking I'll let them do the work instead of trying to find some place to press the bearing in for me.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-25-2006, 09:00 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Well
From what I have gathered so far even after you have the bearing pressed on you need to have it balanced, so 270 doesn't sound to bad..

jd

Old 01-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe I'm too much of a shade tree mechanic; but my 66 drive train is a two piece and it was fairly easy to replace, Yes I had to beat the old carrier bearing off the drive shaft section, but was able to use a sleeve/ pipe to pound (evenly)the new one back into originial place.
Now balancing the carrier bearing on the drive shaft?, never heard of, but I could be wrong and definitely able to learn. I believe as long as your drive shaft is not out of balance or damage during removal and installing, can't see how you could or need too balance a carrier bearing on the drive shaft section.

Mitch

Last edited by Customcab; 01-25-2006 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 01-25-2006, 11:27 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

I agree with you Mitch I was shocked when I read it in the instructions that came with the new bearing and after talking with a couple of guys they agreed with the balance job.

Now we replace bearings everyday in the shop I run some turn as high as 15,000 RPM and we never re-balance after we install new bearings.

So I am inclined to do the job myself too. I'm just waiting for the doctor to let me lift more than ten pounds. It has only been three weeks since Hernia surgery but I feel fine and realy want to climb under there and get it done.

Will let you guys know how it goes in a couple of weeks. May even take pictures and try and do a Tech article from a first time birds eye view.

jd

Old 01-26-2006, 06:18 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
JD, Please wait a couple three months. You will likely reinjure yourself because you are not full strength.

John

Old 01-26-2006, 08:28 AM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Thanks for the concern John.
Over doing it is what got me to the surgery in the first place. It is a bad habbit of mine, don't know when to quit and trying to do it all myself.
I was brought up by a hard working very strong father and I guess I followed in his foot steps. That and fishing is what my father and I always had in common.

I think that this may be a training weekend project for my son and nephew and I may sit back and be the teacher.

Thanks again.

jd

Old 01-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like a great weekend up and coming; teaching the youth is something we don't see often. I love my dad to death, but mechanical feats where not his specially, I had too / and still learning from the old Busted Knuckle's Garage techinque.

Mitch

Old 02-20-2006, 09:37 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Well I finaly got that bearing replaced.
My boys all had something to do and the doctor gave me a full release last Monday and I am feeling great.

It realy was not that hard of a job. I took some pictures along the way and was thinking of doing a small instruction for this forum.

I think it took me a total of four hours and I even spent about 1.5 hours cleaning and painting the drive shafts. I also removed about 30 years of the 40 year buildup from the under side.

I was able to drive the bearing off once i removed the rubber surround. Going back on was a breeze with the right hammer and a pipe just larger than the drive shaft.

I also relized that I think that it had been replaced before because the previous installer did not install the keeper ring.

Thanks for your support guys.

jd