1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

65Econoline 302 conv. overheating GOSEAHWAWKS!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 04:51 PM
65Econo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 65Econoline 302 conv. overheating GOSEAHWAWKS!!

Hi all,
Well I finally got my 302 in the stock doghouse. The install wasn't much of a challenge until I started to dial everything in. Sittin in the driveway this thing sounds SWEET! Surprisingly the hardest part was aligning, bending, and welding the 2 1/2" exhaust pipe to clear the C4 shift arms. So I get it on the road and notice I overheat on the highway and not in town as expected. In town I can run all day. I can't figure this one out. I have tried adjusting the timing. NO CHANGE! Is the doghouse not allowing enough air to pass by? I LOVE MORE POWER! Git a little help here???---------GO SEAHAWKS!!!----------
Shawn in Seabeck WAShINGTON

Old 02-03-2006, 05:09 PM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts
Usually if it overheats on the highway and not in town, the radiator is partially clogged.
It's pretty cheap to have your local radiator shop pull off a tank and rod it out. They'll also be able to tell you what percentage was clogged.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:47 PM
magee
Elder User
You might want to also make sure that the radiator isn't partially blocked off behind the grille. Also, did it have an air deflector beneath the radiator that has gone MIA? I'm not that familiar with the Econoline. I ask about the deflector since I had an IROC that did the exact same thing. I installed a $25 part and the problem was gone. What engine came in your Econoline? You rad may be too small for your application.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:27 AM
65Econo
New User
Exclamation Overheating reply

Thanks for the responses. I thought the radiator might be the problem. The truck had a 170 inline six orginally. The truck itself is the heavy duty version, so I assumed the raidator could handle the 302. You know what they say about assuming? The belly pan is still there. I will take the rad to the shop and have it looked at. Thanks again for the info.