Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Daddy's got a new toy to suck up his cash!

Old 01-13-2006, 06:07 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
I noticed some other oddities on your truck.

The glove box with clock is unlike any I have seen on 48-50
I don't recall ever seeing a "Three-on-the-tree" for 48.

I also could be blind.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:13 PM
mrlightrail
Junior User
mrlightrail is starting off with a positive reputation.
Getting stuff one or two pieces at a time, folks! Need to take my time to determine what I want to eventually do with it.. Keep the flathead/crashbox, or go to a more modern engine/transmission combo? Keep the gauges stock, or upgrade to newer? Bench or Bucket?...still wide open on a lot of these items....Part of the enjoyment I'm having.

Old 01-13-2006, 08:37 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
That caught my eye too, 4TL8, it must be one of them thar new-fangled Fords, got both three-on-the-tree and four-on-the-floor (see pic #100_0305)

Old 01-13-2006, 08:38 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
PS -- of course you need to stay with the flatty. Does it run? (I had to ask)

Old 01-14-2006, 11:34 AM
mrlightrail
Junior User
Got a really good look at the truck yesterday, and started sanding it down, and removing the crapola.

The glove box plate is the only one with any serial info, but did uncover at the bottom of that plate, Series: F1. So the mystery of if an RY VIN is an F3 or F1 is most likely solved. (It's probably both). One small steel id plate on passenger side firewall, but it's totally blank now with the exception of the two letters DA stamped in the upper right hand corner of the plate. No other stencils, or stamps have been found on the firewall to date.

All I can say is WOW when it comes to the straightness of this body, and relative lack of overall rust on it considering it has been sitting in a field for over 22 years!

Was not planning on a fuel tank swap, but looks like that is going to happen. Fuel tank was badly corroded, and me and my son knocked a large hole in it just checking it out. (Note: Anyone else have a tool bin mounted on top of the tank?) At least THAT survived.

Drained the oil from the flathead yesterday, knew the crankcase was full, but no oil drained when drain plug removed. Had son (my accident guinea pig) stick a screwdriver into drain hole, and Voila! Black sludge oozes! This engine IS FOR SURE getting a total tear down!

I'm surprised the engine even ran when it was parked, the exhaust was almost pinched off about 2ft before the muffler. Gonna remove all of that junk today, and start my search for an engine hoist to borrow to remove the flatty and begin it's restoration. I've posted more pictures to the truck album on Yahoo, if you care to look. (The link is in the very first post)

Back to grinding!

Old 01-14-2006, 11:53 AM
hotrod48
Elder User
hotrod48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by mrlightrail
Was not planning on a fuel tank swap, but looks like that is going to happen. Fuel tank was badly corroded, and me and my son knocked a large hole in it just checking it out. (Note: Anyone else have a tool bin mounted on top of the tank?) At least THAT survived.
I have an orginal fuel tank that I would like sell if you are interested? Sounds like you got a pretty good deal then! I like the dirt dobber nest in the carb.

hotrod48

Old 01-14-2006, 12:40 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
Nice find! You were right, you found a toy that will suck up every extra penny and more than a few extra hours.........ain't it great??

I love it when you can use the young lad as a guinnea pig....

"now son....that black ooze that covered you last time was just a fluke, it can't possibly happen again, quit your whining and get back under there...."

Just kidding, enjoy the truck
Bobby

Old 01-14-2006, 12:46 PM
little tow
Senior User
little tow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good looking truck, hope you have fun fixing it up.

Old 01-14-2006, 02:30 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
Was there coolant in the engine? Any chance it froze? Before you get too far, make sure it didn't, pan rail cracks are always fatal.

Old 01-14-2006, 02:36 PM
mrlightrail
Junior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Was there coolant in the engine? Any chance it froze? Before you get too far, make sure it didn't, pan rail cracks are always fatal.
No coolant in engine, all looks ok right now, just won't know for sure until I get the motor out, and into the hands of a rebuilder.

Old 01-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Christopher2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
When you get a chance please post the numbers off the frame, this has my curiousity up. The truck has had some mods over the years. I wonder of those numbers match.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:58 AM
texan2004
Postmaster
texan2004 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Christopher,

I missed this origianlly but if you take a look at the tag, it lists the model as an 8RC even though the VIN uses the 88RY designation. Mrlightrail brought his to my attention in the VIN # thread. I think this may another one of those oddball trucks. I'm wondering if this one may have had a flatbed originally?? I'm wiht you. The truck has certainly been modified over time so almost anything is possible. Like you, I'm interested to know more.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:45 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by texan2004
Christopher,

I missed this origianlly but if you take a look at the tag, it lists the model as an 8RC even though the VIN uses the 88RY designation. Mrlightrail brought his to my attention in the VIN # thread. I think this may another one of those oddball trucks. I'm wondering if this one may have had a flatbed originally?? I'm wiht you. The truck has certainly been modified over time so almost anything is possible. Like you, I'm interested to know more.
If it was built before 52 it was either a Flathead or a Flintstone
I agree there are alot of Strange things about this Truck, A Johnny Cash One Piece At A Time?

Old 01-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Too bad he is OK I would help him find that number on the frame.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
This is a view from the passengers side looking down. You can see the passengers side motor mount in the picture.

Last edited by Christopher2; 01-15-2006 at 10:48 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daddy's got a new toy to suck up his cash!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.