Diesel Hiccups - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Hiccups

Old 01-10-2006, 09:33 PM
New User

ole' smokey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy Diesel Hiccups

I have a 96 F-250 with approx 220,000 miles. The truck is in great shape, but here lately it's been doing something that has me puzzled. After initial start up (say, after it has sat all night) the truck will run fine for a little while then all of a sudden the engine will start to hiccup. By that I mean it will shut off and come imediately back to life all on it own back to back to back. Some times it will cut off for 5 - 10 seconds, then pick right back up running fine. Other times it will continue to cut off and on over and over and over. Usually after theengine has ran for 15 min. or so it does fine. It seems to happen at about the same engine temperature every time. New, fuel and air filters didn't phase it. It's not the ignitions switch... all other electronic components work fine. Once before the engine cut completely off, and I had to wait about 15 min. before I could restart it and it turned out to be the sensor on the crank.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this? PLEASE help?!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Post Fiend

Greywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputation
It sounds like water in the fuel. It almost has to be fuel related - if its a diesel.

My 86 had a lot of problems until I found all the leaks in the fuel system. Not just fuel leaking out - AIR GETTING IN caused most of the trouble.

Check to see if any lines are loose, and also look for cracks or brittleness especially at bends in the lines.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Posting Legend

Torque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to behold
Hello- Welcome to FTE! I have moved your post to the specialized forum we have here for your question. Check out the list of tech forums we have here. There is a wealth of information and expertise here to help you. There are a number of links in my sig below to help you also. Have fun!
Old 01-12-2006, 05:20 AM
Senior User

gomfrddy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeap, same here, turned out to be the CPS, hope you are up and running!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole' smokey
I have a 96 F-250 with approx 220,000 miles. The truck is in great shape, but here lately it's been doing something that has me puzzled. After initial start up (say, after it has sat all night) the truck will run fine for a little while then all of a sudden the engine will start to hiccup. By that I mean it will shut off and come imediately back to life all on it own back to back to back. Some times it will cut off for 5 - 10 seconds, then pick right back up running fine. Other times it will continue to cut off and on over and over and over. Usually after theengine has ran for 15 min. or so it does fine. It seems to happen at about the same engine temperature every time. New, fuel and air filters didn't phase it. It's not the ignitions switch... all other electronic components work fine. Once before the engine cut completely off, and I had to wait about 15 min. before I could restart it and it turned out to be the sensor on the crank.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? PLEASE help?!
Old 01-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Ol'Smokey you describe classic symptoms of a failed Camshaft Position Sensor. You mention that you have replaced yours already. I still would go get another one from your local International dealer. They are a lot less expensive there.
Ask for a CMP (camp) sensor for a 1996 T444E. It will come in a plastic bag with a Ford emblem on it, and will be a little more than half what you will pay for the exact same thing at the Ford dealer.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:56 PM
New User

ole' smokey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the help. I'm deffinitely going to contact the local IH dealer and get one.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:05 AM
Post Fiend

Greywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputation
True story - if you want to hi-perf a ford diesel, go talk to the IH guys. Just changing the injectors will get you beau coupe HP.