Make your own bio-diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Make your own bio-diesel?

I have just watched a show on tv that used , looked like a still, to produce bio-diesel at home with WVO. This is the web sight http://freedomfuelamerica.com/
Anyone tried this thing?

Old 01-29-2006, 02:04 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
here is a cheaper, as in much cheaper alternative for a processor, I am currently setting one of these up, and have been making small batches of bio diesel so far.
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/

Old 01-29-2006, 02:05 PM
leskwvo
Senior User
The fuel mister has a bad rap due to the plastic tanks and the almost $3000 dollar cost.

Most folks build a processor out of a new or used hotwater heater tank. Add some plumbing and a pump and you can have a home unit for generaly less then $500 bucks. Check this site Bio Link

Erick Panger
LESK WVO Conversions
2005 F250 PSD
Plant Drive Two tank WVO system.
Hotstk, Vormax, A1000 and Vegtherm

Old 01-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
[QUOTE=monsterbaby]here is a cheaper, as in much cheaper alternative for a processor, I am currently setting one of these up, and have been making small batches of bio diesel so far.
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link.
How much time to make 50 to 75 gal. a week?
Do you have to clean the oil first?
How much WVO does it take to make 50 gal of bio?

Old 01-29-2006, 03:06 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
most suggest getting the water out by whatever method you choose (I am still deciding what works for me on that one) and you should filter it first I am going to a whole house water filter setup for a prefilter option. And a lot of guys are getting pretty close to 100% conversion rates so 50 gallons of WVO that is fairly clean should make 50 gallons of biodiesel.
I personally have found a source of WVO that isn't in the fryer more than 2 days so thier hasn't been much in the way of water in it at all and they are providing me around 12 gallons a week which is plenty cause I am running it at 20% or B20 at this time so that means aprrox 60 gallons of fuel total for the week and I don't burn that much actually about half that.

Old 01-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
most suggest getting the water out by whatever method you choose (I am still deciding what works for me on that one) and you should filter it first I am going to a whole house water filter setup for a prefilter option. And a lot of guys are getting pretty close to 100% conversion rates so 50 gallons of WVO that is fairly clean should make 50 gallons of biodiesel.
I personally have found a source of WVO that isn't in the fryer more than 2 days so thier hasn't been much in the way of water in it at all and they are providing me around 12 gallons a week which is plenty cause I am running it at 20% or B20 at this time so that means aprrox 60 gallons of fuel total for the week and I don't burn that much actually about half that.
Sorry for all of the questions, but diesel is new to me and I have a hard time thinking that I can 1) build something that look like a still or meth lab and be legal........lol. 2) make my own fuel and keep the oil company's out of my wallet.
I love this truck!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been making my own for quite some time now. Running both Momma's and mine on 100% BD and laugh past every fuel station

Old 01-30-2006, 05:25 PM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fire Rooster
Been making my own for quite some time now. Running both Momma's and mine on 100% BD and laugh past every fuel station
Is there a web sight that gives info on mixing and the chems needed or is there a web sight that sells a kit?

Old 01-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a wealth of info on the net. I would tell you to really study and thinlk about it before you buy a processor first. Start with the biodiesel.org and read the links etc. Lots of reading first then act. Just my opinion