1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion
Old 10-27-2014, 06:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Cristina
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels & Tires How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Runway Tires - anyone tried them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 04:22 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
well the Goodyear Fortera would be my choice out of all of them.

Old 02-25-2006, 05:19 AM
enskanker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just replaced the OEM tires on my '03 Navi with these Hankook Ventus ST RH06 after much research.... (Purch thru TIRES DIRECT.COM)

http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews/Hankook_Ventus_ST_RH06_tire_reviews.html

I replaced them specifically with this, as I kept the stock 18" Ford/Lincoln Wheels...

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?cs=285&pc=11690&rd=18&ar=60

I am Very please all the way around.

I had a local "Tires PLUS" (formorly FIRESTONE) place install them for $100,
and the manager there was impressed with the tire.

Last edited by enskanker; 02-25-2006 at 05:27 AM.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Big Craig
Senior User
Just be a good American and buy the China made ones, everything is going to be made there soon anyways, and all high paying jobs will be outsourced so we do not need to worry about any of those either.

Old 02-26-2006, 06:56 PM
york93
New User
Hey Big Craig, what are you suggesting?

Old 03-04-2006, 11:19 PM
slenser
More Turbo
Those Hankook look like they would be terrible in the snow. I would go with the Revo's as well. They were awesome on my 01 Navi.

Old 03-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Nathane
Elder User
if they say DOT, and arent in the DOT database... Go into your tire store with a .22, and shoot the sidewalls of all of thoose tires. If they ask you to pay for it, say that you report them to the DOT for carrying illegally DOT stamped tires

Or just bring that to their attention
~Nate

Old 12-05-2008, 06:04 PM
mjamgb
New User
Complete junk

DO NOT buy these!!!

I bought them as they were cheap and touted by the dealer as "great" tires.
Was disappointed to find they were highway rib instead of the AT I was expecting and was too stupid to protest.

Company went T-U shortly after.

Tires wear funny, won't balance and have HORRIBLE winter traction.

One is nearly corded in 15K miles, 2 are OK and one is about 1/2 way in between.

Truck checks "fine" from other shops so far as suspension and alignment.

So bad that wife is afraid to ride in truck.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Freak4Ford
Senior User
There are quality and safety issues with everything thats made in China. Too much lead, fire issues, etc. With that said why would you consider something that jepordizes you and your family lives?

Old 12-05-2008, 09:23 PM
tykateexcursion
Senior User
i am on my second set of Bridgestone duelers reveos's. The first set i got 40000 miles out of them. Even last year when the tire was close to the wear bar they pulled my Expedition through WI snow with no problems.. This year should be a breeze with new Revo's. Yes they are pricey but the preciouds cargo you haul is more important than a few bucks. On my excursion i have michelins granted they are E load but after 30000 miles on this set the tread depth is still good considering an 8000 vehicle with a 7500 tt attached.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:05 AM
ExpySport
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have some input on the Runway Enduro H/T's. One of our pickup trucks at work had to get new tires. The tire dealer we use installed the Enduro H/T's. Apparently the boss said to put on a replacement tire & didn't put a specification or request in. The truck came back with the Enduro H/T's. I didn't have an opportunity to drive the truck until a few months later while out on a road call. The roads were wet from rain, and I lost count how many times I had to engage the 4x4 to get moving from a stop. The tires had no traction in the wet what-so-ever. The ABS engaged a few times while I was braking, too. On dry surfaces, the tires are fine, but wet, forget it. I said something to the boss and he was genuinely concerned. However, the tires are still on the truck and they're almost worn out now, with only about 20k miles on them.

If it were up to me, I'd spend the extra money for a decent set of tires with ratings and reviews to back up their worthiness to be on a vehicle. No sense skimping on quality and putting your life and those in your vehicle's lives at risk. Just my $0.02.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:35 AM
maldbwmjr
Junior User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I would go with Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos. We just put a set on the expy, and I absolutely love them. They are sooo quiet on the highway, they have great traction in the rain/snow, and they are supposed to wear really well.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I had the top-of-the-line Michelins and they started splitting on me within 2 years - my local State inspector told me I would fail inspection unless I changed the tires. My dad was a tire reseller/installer and told me NOT to buy Michelins because their quality has gone downhill over the years. Did I listen? No, of course not, I thought I knew better....

As for buying tires from China - NEVER!!! They have the absolute worst quality control and cut corners to save $$$. A tire importer in New Jersey learned BIG TIME not to trust Chinese tires when the tires they distributed started separating/splitting. 2 deaths resulted and a huge lawsuit and recall later (see: IndustryWeek : U.S. Authorities Suspect Dangerous Faults In Chinese Tires)

Tires are the MOST IMPORTANT and critical component of your vehicle. Don't risk your life/safety by trying to save a few bucks.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:48 AM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had Bridgestone Winter Duelers on my Expedition. Great tire. Noisy as hell. But still a great tire, I could go anywhere.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:59 AM
explorerford1999
Junior User
Michelin LTX, 42,000 miles on them and I still have 7/32 tread left. Great all around tire.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:47 PM
wrenchturner
Elder User
trail mark apr will be my next set. Michelins are the best I have ran. But the trail marks are pretty good. decent wear. aggressive tread without alot of noise.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 PM
MOOK929RR
Senior User
if u search anythign about tires on this forum...i think its gonna be pretty clear to stay the heck away from cheap unknown tires, stay away from Conti's, and everyone seems to love the revos... i dont listen to everything i hear on this board... but the one thing i would listen to is that tires are probably the last thing u want to get cheap about.
I personally have had 2 sets of BFGs, and currently have Nitto Terra Grapplers... but i like an off road look and dont mind a little noise.

Quick Reply: Runway Tires - anyone tried them?