Fiberglass Fenders & Hood for 40 1/2T Pkup

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 06:03 PM
mitch_c
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fiberglass Fenders & Hood for 40 1/2T Pkup

Folks,

I've found a few sources for Fiberglass Fenders, and even less sources for fiberglass hoods for 40-41 Ford 1/2T pkups..

Anyone had experience with the following?:

Rod 'n Race (MD)
Speedway Motors (NE) (not sure who makes these for them)

One of our fellow enthusiasts referenced someone in Calif., but I don't have any info on that source.. ?

I've seen the info on Wescott...

Any other sources that folks would recommend (or recommend not to use)?

I'm looking for reproductions, not ones like the folks in FL who's hood only works with their fenders...

Appears that the hood is the least common item to find..... i.e. Speedway lists fenders, but no hood..

Mitch_c

Old 01-06-2006, 10:17 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Mitch_c, My dad has a 46 ford truck 1/2 and he bought all 4 fenders and running boards for his truck. He bought them from "Early Ford". He is very happy with his stuff he got. The fiderglass is nice and thick. The fenders and boards are real strong. We put the fenders and boards on the truck for a test fit and I stepped on the running boards like you normally would to get in the truck, and they didn't bend or make a cracking sound at all. I'm going to have to buy some glass front fenders for my 48 and thats who I will buy from. I have seen Wescott fenders and boards on one of my dads friends truck, it's a 40 model it looks real nice to. The fiberglass is nice and thick on them to. As far as a glass hood for your truck I haven't seen any at all. So I'm no help there. One company that you DO NOT BUY from is "FAIRLANE". Their fiberglass is THIN and WEAK! I talked to a guy at a truck show last year and he showed me so pics of the fenders on his truck and they did not look good at all. He said he could drive down the road and you could watch the fenders move back and forth. Early Ford and Wescott are the 2 companies that I have seen and there products look good up close. I'm sure you will get somemore info on other companies to that guys on here have used and like, so I'm sure you will have somemore good companies throwed your way. Obsolete Ford is another company but I have not bought anything from them and I really haven't heard bad things on them either. I have heard people talk good about them but I haven't dealt with them personally. I hope I have helped you some. Scott

Old 01-08-2006, 07:55 PM
shortyforty
Junior User
I bought a set of rear glass fenders for my 40 a few years ago from Pro's Pick in Canada. The fenders though were actually made in the USA at BeBops Glassworks in Tennessee. I ordered these because they were the only one's I could find without the spare tire dimple. But the quality of the shipping and the quality of the fenders was less than desireable. One fender was obviously removed from the mold way to soon as I could not get it to line up with the holes in the bed. The other one had a crack in the rear lip from shipping I guess. But after reading a number of other comments on fiberglass parts I wrote it off to experience since it's true you get what you pay for, as these fenders were nearly half the price I've seen elsewhere.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:36 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The guy who got thin fenders from Fairlane probably got their "competition weight" ones. Fairlane makes (made? They just changed ownership so ???) 2 weights of their glass parts: competition and street. I bought a set of their front fenders for my 56 off ebay, and they are anything but thin and flimsy.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:35 AM
halfdone
Senior User
For Australian views, RodZ North make the full set of hang on panels for 40 1/2 ton

Bloody good quality.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:03 AM
mitch_c
Junior User
Has anyone purchased or at least checked out the fenders that Midwest Early Ford sells? Still, looks like limited places to get a fiberglass hood (Wescotts is way to pricey for me)..

Old 01-15-2006, 08:07 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Mitch_c, That is where my dad bought his fenders and running boards for his 47 ford truck from. He is very happy with them. They fit real good to. If I can't find what I need for my 48 then thats where I will buy from to. His fenders and boards are nice and strong to, I think you will like them. I can take some pics of them if you want to see how thick they are and send them to you. Thanks Scott