1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

newbie from AUS with a '51

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:56 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't ya just love how they talk, ya read one of their posts then sit for half an hour just tryin to figure out what they are talking about.
Course they have different donor vehicles there so it doesn't really matter.

I do want to see pictures of the 66 Falcon Delivery though, It might be a bit Cheeky.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:08 AM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Don't ya just love how they talk, ya read one of their posts then sit for half an hour just tryin to figure out what they are talking about.
Course they have different donor vehicles there so it doesn't really matter.

I do want to see pictures of the 66 Falcon Delivery though, It might be a bit Cheeky.
I'm just disappointed that I haven't seen anyone in the posts on this thread referred to as a "bloak" (sic?) yet.

G'day

Old 01-07-2006, 12:46 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum efixp, you have a real nice looking 51 there. The only thing I would have done different is to have used some of the extra length of the frame to have extended the cab. I sure wish I had a more room in the cab to haul my tools from job to job, as my 51 F1 is my daily driver.

Old 01-07-2006, 02:18 AM
efixp
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HI 4tl8ford i posted a pic of my delivery ,you "BLOKES" over their have a similar model with a slightly squarer front.They only came with a six cylinder motor,but this has a 5.0l HO inj windsor as well. It's the only pic that i have on the computer and it's what i use as my avatar over here.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:13 PM
halfdone
Senior User
That's all we need.....a bloody sandgroper

Welcome aboard mate.

The trucks looking good, be interested to see how the narrowed guards work out.

My F-1 is also an F-6 cab, but I tracked down an F-2/3/4 frame and took the 8" out of the middle.

I noticed you asking about beds. Mine is a Phil Dean......brilliant product. Well worth the money.

Being a 48 mine has the curved stake pockets and the raised feature section in the bed sides. Phil is the only one I know of who does them here and for what they are there CHEAP. Importing a US bed would cost at least triple what Phil charges.

For late model F-1 like yours a square stakepocket, flat sided bed is the go and as already stated there are at least 3 suppliers of those at around $1k. To be honest, any competent sheetie should be able to knock one up.....it's the early beds that are a bitch to repro, due to all the curved features.

As you will see in my albums I am running a clevo and c10, but I have a HO 5.0 in my 94 NC Fairy. Once my F-1 is done I will part out the NC and use the EFI motor and BW 4 speed auto in my 51 Victoria.......unless the 454 falls in first

I am using Hughes tupperware guards and running boards. Nice products. Some people reckon Paul can be hard to deal with, but I had no issues.

I imported everything else direct, or bought off egay.....less hassles and no middleman markup

Mark

Old 01-09-2006, 12:45 AM
efixp
Freshman User
Hi Halfdone,I have been looking at a phil Dean bed for mine and was going to get the '48 because of the extra detail rather than the 51.
I was the guy who got Big Woody to ask for a picture of yours
My only concern is should i make the running boards because of the wider front guards,or will the standard width fibreglass ones look ok
Thanks for the welcome and was it a hassle to import ,or did one of the guys on this forum help out?
I'm looking to find a ashtray and a new lid for the airvent
looks like youv'e put a lot of work into your truck have you got any updated photos ,maybe one with the new tray? Are you doing the body work and the paint?
and are you going for hotrod rego?
Darren

Old 01-09-2006, 08:55 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
I wonder how expensive it would be to export a bed from Australia? Here in the states the only repop bed you can get are the later ones (51-52) that don't have the detail.

Keep up the good work
Bobby

Old 01-09-2006, 09:42 PM
halfdone
Senior User
Originally Posted by efixp
Hi Halfdone,I have been looking at a phil Dean bed for mine and was going to get the '48 because of the extra detail rather than the 51.
I was the guy who got Big Woody to ask for a picture of yours
My only concern is should i make the running boards because of the wider front guards,or will the standard width fibreglass ones look ok
Thanks for the welcome and was it a hassle to import ,or did one of the guys on this forum help out?
I'm looking to find a ashtray and a new lid for the airvent
looks like youv'e put a lot of work into your truck have you got any updated photos ,maybe one with the new tray? Are you doing the body work and the paint?
and are you going for hotrod rego?
Darren
I wondered if you were the ozrodder lurker

I like the 48-50 (49-50 in Aus) bed much better than the later bed.

You can't go wrong with Phils Beds. I have bought three now (two A and the 48) and have NEVER met anyone with a bad report or complaint.

The running boards will work IF you are widening the rear guards too (as I think you said in one post).

I would be inclined to buy Hughes rear guards and boards and then space the boards out to match the front guards.......or just buy the front guards too. An extra $880 the pair will hurt the budget, but I think the finished product will justify the $$$

The freight to WA might be a killer, however if you are shipping a tray anyway then cram it all inside. If you don't have anyone in Brisbane area we can probably find a volunteer via Ozrodders to drop the guards and boards to Phil's place and shove them in the tray for shipping.....Phil might even let you get the guards shipped too him.

Anyway, if it helps in your budgetting, Phils beds are $950. Hughes tuperware is $880 frt, $800 rear, $550 boards....all per pair. His beds are $1000.

One caution: The hughes guards are too suite the 50- flat side bed, so need some glass work to suite the "step" on the 48 bed.

Yes I am doing the body and Paint at home, with help on the paint from 32Coupe from OzRodders. I am at the "final" primer stage....again.

I completely filled the ashtray, speaker grill and radio holes and have a smoooooothe dash.

I am going to aim for rego under the ASRF Street Rod rego scheme......ACT and WA are the only states signed up. It is **** easy via the TAC in WA. I am actually the ASRF State Director for ACT, so I kinda have to play it that way.

Importing stuff is easy. Just check with the seller if they are happy to use USPS surface mail, and make SURE they don't overstate the value, which seems to be common practice stateside.......I think it helps US customers if they have to claim insurance on lost Items, but it hurts us when customs see an insurance value higher than the purchace price you have stated. I had mucho dramas when someone in the shipping department at a well known US store wrote $400 value in the shipping docket of a box containing $72 worth of parts + freight. The freight handler at this end wanted $108 duty + fees. Even my online receipts wouldn't convince them. In the end I said "keep them, I will buy some more" A day later they turned up, no duty or fees.

ONLY USE USPS, it is not worth the hassles at this end if you use UPS or FEDEX.......both great companies for shipping in the US.

Alternatively, if your not in a hurry, find an importer here who will let you ship medium size stuff in his container and get the US supplier to do domestic shipping to the freight guys US handler (usually in Longbeach, CA). The handler will keep the boxes untill the next container ships and use them as "gap stuffers". Most importers won't charge you much.

I ship USPS air for small stuff (badges etc), USPS surface for medium stuff (rubberware, starters etc) and Ron Wicks from Melbourne for big stuff. 2 weeks, 2 months and "whenever" respectively.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:43 PM
halfdone
Senior User
PS New photos soonish......maybe

Old 01-09-2006, 09:54 PM
halfdone
Senior User
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
I wonder how expensive it would be to export a bed from Australia? Here in the states the only repop bed you can get are the later ones (51-52) that don't have the detail.

Keep up the good work
Bobby
I was wondering how long before someone asked that question.........

At A$950 + freight you could probably land one in CA for well under what a US repro costs, and they are HEAPS better than the beds I saw when I lived in Silicone Valley.

I shipped a US 56 (original) bed home in 2001 and if you pull a fender off, strap them to the end wall (on their side) and nose a car into them they take up no space in the container. My shipper at the time started bringing in 4 per load after seeing how mine fitted.

The hard part would be finding someone shipping in that direction......a few shippers own their own containers and back haul Aussie Ute's and "normal stuff", but most automotive shippers hire containers and only ship INTO Australia.

Maybe a removalist who can just pack the bed in/under/on removal boxes might do you a deal.

I am happy to handle logistics this end if you want, but am 2000 miles from the guy that makes the beds, so I can't load it for you.

Guess I better borrow a digital camera and post some photos of how good these beds are.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:57 PM
halfdone
Senior User
PS A couple of members here have supplied some second hand bits and organised shipping.......thanks 51 Panel for the grill.....mate, pal, buddy.....looks good in the front.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:09 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
halfdone,
Thanks for all the info and for the willingness to cut through red tape on your end. It would be a few years before I make any kind of commitment for a bed. I'll try my hand at making mine look good first.

My thoughts were that if the beds were of high quality there might be enough of an interest in them to make a bulk order (the logistics of this might be a real pain in the neck though)

Thanks again for the info
Bobby

Old 01-09-2006, 10:18 PM
halfdone
Senior User
Yes I had contemplated that too

Getting enough beds from Phil would be the issue, he is semi retired and fairly low production......8-10 weeks of backorders normally.

If I ever get my '37 Roadster Ute finished (started?) I will ship it to the US to sell, so packing in a few beds to sell might provide some travel money.

Lets see......a short A bed, inside an improved A bed, inside a 34 bed, inside a 40 bed, inside a 48 bed, inside the '37 tray.....yep, that'll work

Old 01-09-2006, 10:24 PM
efixp
Freshman User
Thanks Halfdone
some great info,i will talk to phil and see if he's willing to recieve the guards /running boards and send them together,otherwise i'll try looking for a ozrodder volunteer,I've got plenty of time to find someone as phil's got a 3 month waiting list.how far would it be between hughes stepsides and phils place?

Old 01-09-2006, 11:05 PM
halfdone
Senior User
Hughes are an hour north of Brissy, Phil is in the southern Suburbs, near the Gold Coast ......... maybe an hour and a half by road.

Plenty of Ozrodders up that way and plenty of time.....we can do this.