help, stuck i'm stuck in gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 05:11 AM
lewmon
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi,
i'm new to this forum and a novice at this. it all started after filling up at a gas station. when i started her up again, she she jolted(i had left it in gear). so i put it in nuetral and started her up, but she wouldn't shift into gear. a line was forming behind me at the pump, so i shut her off, depressed the clutch, put it in 1st and started her. it started up alright, bit also jumped forward fully engaged in gear, clutch still depressed. i had to be at work so i drove it to a friend's house nearby, driving in first all the way as it would not shift nor jump out of gear. i'll troubleshoot it later today. any advice on where i should start and what i'm up against? BTW, it's a 67 F250, 352 ci, V8, 3 speed manual, column shift.

thanks in advance for any help.

louie
F25YRA75830 - a california truck

Old 10-30-2001, 12:17 PM
dfisher1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lew,
You've got a few options.
1. Check to make sure the clutch linkage is still in place. (I'll bet the pivot ball has fallen out.)
2. Check your motor/trans mounts to see if the motor is bouncing around when depressing the clutch.
3. If you don't have the former, then replace your clutch to include: Pressure plate, clutch disc,throwout bearing.
Inspect your flywheel for oil leaks at the rear crank seal. This is the time to repair that leak. If your flywheel shows discoloration then have it resurfaced. These are steps that will insure long term service out of your vehicle.
Good Luck,Have Fun,
KingFisher

Old 10-30-2001, 01:52 PM
lewmon
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drove it home today, the same way i drove it yesterday, but in second gear(got me a little speed on that 4:10 gearing). tried to shift it a few times, the clutch would release, but not just all the way to make it shift, just a lot of wrrrrring noise. the linkage seem to be intact. seems like the clutch is not releasing all the way. linkage adjustment maybe? i hope it's something simple as this clutch was redone(plates, throwout bearing, etc.) a year ago. any more thoughts on this?

thanks again.

louie

Old 10-30-2001, 02:38 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts