new believer...in major air!! and other ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 04:26 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking new believer...in major air!! and other ???

so i tied my two compressors together- a cheap CH (given to me) that's 5.5 at 90 and my old jacuzzi double cylinder that is probably around 7-8 at 90. It aint enough- thought it would be- I can run my dual sander at about 75% ....70% of the time. How nice it would be to have another 8-10+cfm...oh how nice! someday....

Also, I recieved an IR hvlp gun model # 270 for xmas (from me) - wanted it cause it's cfm ratings are within what I have and I have always like IR products...and any info re the quality of this gun? I ain't no super star - never used a gravity gun- did well with the 'old guns'.

I have a pro booth I can use to base coat and clear (for free ) but will use my air and space for primer. I purchased some evercoat, dura build (high build acrylic primer surfacer) and acrylic laquer thinner to thin/reduce. I'm thinking this is safer (have full air suit at booth-not at home) than stuff that needs hardners- I was told i can put this on bare metal which 95% of the body is.

Update- just read that I should paint with aself etching 1st- paint store dude led me wrong???

any info to lay on me?

Last edited by roger dowty; 01-01-2006 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roger dowty
so i tied my two compressors together- a cheap CH (given to me) that's 5.5 at 90 and my old jacuzzi double cylinder that is probably around 7-8 at 90. It aint enough- thought it would be- I can run my dual sander at about 75% ....70% of the time. How nice it would be to have another 8-10+cfm...oh how nice! someday....

Also, I recieved an IR hvlp gun model # 270 for xmas (from me) - wanted it cause it's cfm ratings are within what I have and I have always like IR products...and any info re the quality of this gun? I ain't no super star - never used a gravity gun- did well with the 'old guns'.

I have a pro booth I can use to base coat and clear (for free ) but will use my air and space for primer. I purchased some evercoat, dura build (high build acrylic primer surfacer) and acrylic laquer thinner to thin/reduce. I'm thinking this is safer (have full air suit at booth-not at home) than stuff that needs hardners- I was told i can put this on bare metal which 95% of the body is.

Update- just read that I should paint with aself etching 1st- paint store dude led me wrong???

any info to lay on me?

Nah, probaly not. The old etch/primer surfacer/ epoxy primer / war of opinions have been going on a long time. Everyone has there own personal choice, and a lot of those choices are dictated by the amount of cash, time, and hand labor one wants to put in on a project. All the techniques will work, like etching, primer surfacer, or use epoxy as a primer, or epoxy then surfacer. Each one has its + and - . ...

Just be SURE to look on your P-Sheet for your product and use the product as it states on it to the "T". Be sure that the priming method/s you select is for the amount of bare metal you are covering. Some primer /surfacers are not designed to be put on total coverage of a whole bare metal vehicle, unless certain film thicknes is used, or it is put over a substrate of a bonding agent like etch primer. Read the P-Sheet (product sheets) for your products and do as it says. I have not had them to mislead yet, . good luck jmo

Old 01-01-2006, 09:24 PM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guess i gotta go get one of those..the directions on the can say to use self etching primer on bare metal first. I don't think this is the product i want but will look into it further..thanks.