West Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 5_labsownus

Question About Vehicle Laws

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Bob_Smith
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question About Vehicle Laws

Ok guys, first off, anyone who knows much about WV vehicle law is more than welcome in this post. I've searched, and searched, and searched, and even asked a few local cops, who said both they weren't sure (but wouldn't pull me over for it), and some wouldn't give me an answer because they didn't know either way. Anyway, my question is, does anyone know if it is legal to take the doors off a full-size Bronco (1992)? I know you can on those evil Jeeps, and it's fine with those, but I was wondering, because of the different hinge/removal system, if it made a difference between the two vehicles? I've asked around and no one can give me an answer on the subject, and I've searched the hell out of every search engine I could find, and still couldn't find an answer. I even called the SP office of vehicle laws, but I can never manage to get ahold of the head guy there, and no one else there can give me an answer on the subject. I've even asked all the local inspection shops, and they aren't sure either, they go back to the different hinge system I mentioned earlier. Anyway, any help you guys could give would be GREATLY welcomed and many kudos to whoever knows the answer. Thanks guys/gals!

Old 02-18-2006, 08:43 AM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,489 Likes on 1,393 Posts
As an inspection mech. I would say it has to have the doors or some part of the doors. This, as you stated is because of the non-removable hinge as part of the OEM system and structural integrity of the body. But the inspection code is not clear on this matter.

The DPS vehicle/traffic law officer would be the best place to start. If you can't get in touch with them I would talk to a Lawyer you know and have him call DPS for you! He will get a response!

Rod

Old 02-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Where are the side mirrors mounted on the Jeeps?
I can not remember for sure but think they are windshield mounted.

The Bronco rear view mirror is door mounted and would probably be the reason it would not be legal to remove the Bronco doors although I have seen them on the road with the doors off.

A drivers side, side mounted rear view mirror is required.

Also the method of door mounting on the newer Bronco's would seem to exclude them.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Bob_Smith
Senior User
Thanks for all the replies guys. I knew you were required to have the mirrors, so (which I forgot to put last night, as I made this post right before I went to sleep) I would relocate the mirrors to the front fenders on each side, so I could keep that part legal, anyway. I finally, after looking for 3 months now, I found the one by-the-book local ST I've been searching now, and asked him tonight. He said he wasn't sure, but he would find out and be able to give me a 100% sure answer on Monday, I also had him ask if relocating the mirrors would make a difference. Thanks for the replies guys, I'll post on Monday, after I find out just incase anyone ever gets the same crazy idea.

Old 02-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

The original Bronco's had much more easily removable doors back in the day.
I remember many of them running around minus the doors.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:35 PM
wvmudder
Senior User
I dont know if im the only one who noticed this but the laws in our state are so vague I dont see how they are able to uphold many of them. And what really ticks me off is when you ask a trooper or a deputy(im a dispatcher in tyler co.) about a law you get different answers each time you ask, and these are the people that write the tickets and they dont even know the laws. ANd then there is that new ATV law, is it correct to assume that if something is not written in the laws it is legal to do?????? Well then before they passed the law restricting ATVs on the roads why did people get tickets for riding them on roads????????? Sorry for the hijack, I just had to rant a little. I was wondering about the door issue with the broncos as well, it kicks butt to take the top and doors off in the summer, See Ya Dave

Old 02-20-2006, 09:56 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

You have just stated the reason there are so many lawyers in business today.
After having lived all over the USA I can say the laws in other states are just as vague.

Another reason for vague laws is if a cop wants to stop you and write a ticket, there will be something on your vehicle or the way you were driving it that will fall into the violation catagory for him.

I think the use or reason the ATV was on the road was the difference before.

Farmers could ride on the road, but you could not ride on the road just for pleasure.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:57 PM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by wvmudder
(im a dispatcher in tyler co.)
In Tyler Co.! That is where my wife is from and her brother was a deputy there several years ago!

Old 02-21-2006, 09:02 PM
Bob_Smith
Senior User
Just a quick update, I havn't been able to get ahold of this guy yet, he hasn't been on duty the past couple days, I think it's his "weekend", so I havn't forgot about my mission yet . Anyway, I should be able to track him down in the next day or so, and as soon as I do, I'll let ya'll know what he found out. Just though I would pop in to say that real quick. I do agree with you guys, I hate how vague our laws are, it's just a way for them to ticket you for something that may not even really be illegal for you to do.

Old 02-22-2006, 04:58 PM
wvmudder
Senior User
what part of tyler is your wife from? I live about 5 miles from the doddridge co line. Who was the deputy? Ive only been dispatching a little less than a year now, im trying to think of past deputies was his initials S.H.?

anyway, when it comes to what laws are enforced it usually depends on what kinda mood the officer is in and just how far your trying to "bend the rule" or how much of an **** your being. But please keep us posted about the doors on the broncos. ANd thinking about the jeeps, the mirrors were on the windshield frames but didnt do anygood if the windshield was folded down. See Ya Dave

Old 02-23-2006, 07:07 PM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
From: Middlebourn and family now lives in New Martinsville. Her brother "Herrmann" went to Wyoming DCI about 7 years ago! I hunted the old Haught land scross from the fair grounds!

Old 02-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Bob_Smith
Senior User
Ok, well I finally got ahold of the guy last night (I would of posted then, but I was tired and wanted to crash). Anyway, he said that they told him, that (as expected) it's not exactly legal.

Now, to make a really, really, really long story short, he explained that it wasn't exactly 100% illegal, but according to the law, since it came from the factory with the doors, they have to be on there to get the vehicle inspected. He than went on to explain to me that even though it didn't exactly say that it was ILLEGAL, it did say that since they were supposed to be on there to get a sticker, it's supposed to be on your vehicle at all times, even after you get your sticker. And he went on to explain that there is a good chance that if you got pulled over for it (even though, agian, it's not 100% illegal) the enforcing officer actually could yank the sticker right off of your vehicle on the spot, because it's a fairly big violation of the inspection code.

Now if any of you actually could follow my short story of a 1 hour long conversation, to make that short story even shorter, he said that to sum it all down, it's not a good idea to do to something you want to drive anywhere there is a cop to pull you over, because really it comes down to (big shock here, sports fans) however bad the cop that spots you feels like pulling you over. It's a funny situation, because (there isn't anything in the books saying anything set in stone about this exact situation, although there was the explanation I gave above) while the book didn't say it's totally illegal, they can still pull you over for it if they so desire, and if they want to bad enough, can give you a ticket for it, and it actually said in the books, they could actually take the sticker off your vehicle on the spot.

So all in all, it comes down to don't do it, unless your good friends with your local cops, or you have a big pockets if your not exactly friends with your local cops. What really shocked me (and actually made me hate Jeeps even more) is that he said that according to the books, what I just said above actually applied to Jeeps, but for the most part nobody says anything because of the quick-remove hinge system . Stupid Jeepers. Well guys, I just thought I would pop in and tell you what he said. You'll have to forgive me for saying things over and over because I'm really tired, and I want to go to sleep. Well see yall later, thanks for all your help, guys.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:19 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The removable doors brings up another item that the state snuck past regarding jeeps an only jeeps.

If you look at some of the new liberty's, they have oem mounted roof lights. Now remember, we cannot get a sticker for having lights on a light bar, or so the state troopers say. While researching the traffic code a few days back, I found the code regarding light bars. According to the code, the lights on the bars are legal, providing they have a plastic cover on them while being operated on the highway.

I made a copy of the code in the office. I am planning on putting my light bar and lights back on and putting a copy of the code in the truck. Then I am going to wait (as they say with baited breath) for the next cop to stop me with an excuse about the light bar being illegal. I will let you know the outcome.

Old 02-25-2006, 11:59 PM
wvmudder
Senior User
I think if youll check youll find that law about the light bars was changed only recently when the libertys came with that option. A lot of liberty owners were getting citations for them. Before the law was changed it was totaly messed up, you could have the lights on the light bar, but they couldnt be functional, well furhter in the code it stipulates you cannot have lights on a vehicle that are not funcional(defective equipment), go figure.

heres one for ya, I like Harleys but why do they get by with loud "drag pipes" and if you have a well built engine with a free flowing exhaust the road ***** are all over ya?

Old 02-27-2006, 11:30 AM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Road *****, I like that. That is a new one. Have to write that one down for future reference and use.

That is so true regarding the Harley's. My Crown Vic has a beyond well tuned 5.8, with just cats and (dummy mufflers) straight pipes. It is not necessarily loud, but quieter than a dragpiped Harley. I got stopped one day for the exhaust (no ticket, just butt chew) when one came by. I asked the cop what about that noise. He stated that there is nothing in the code regarding motorcycle exhaust. I check. There is nothing at all that I can find. Guess we will have to put up with the two standards.