Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

new p/s rack for straight axles

Old 12-26-2005, 08:39 PM
nixer
Senior User
nixer is starting off with a positive reputation.
new p/s rack for straight axles

http://www.nolimit.net/index.asp?Pag...n=Custom&ID=61

Power Steering Kit for Straight Axles
New from No Limit Power Steering Kit for the Straight axle kits. Includes: Power Rack & Pinion, Tie Rod ends, mount kit, steering a-arms, colapsable steering shaft with boot, and all necessary hardware

Your Price $589.00

Old 12-27-2005, 10:55 AM
hotrod48
Elder User
hotrod48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have thought about this before. It seems like a good kit but too pricey for me. I would like to see it mounted on a truck and what type of rack and pinion it uses (Just so I could possibly make my own, I have a good idea of it but would just like to confirm it ). Thanks for sharing this.

hotrod48

Old 12-27-2005, 11:11 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
I see the kit includes new steering arms to correct steering geometry. It would be interesting to find out just how well this works. In the past using a rack and pinion on a straight axle was a no-no because of excessive bump steer. I suppose they have figured out a way to get around that...

Vern

Old 12-27-2005, 11:33 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
I for one would like to see the mounting brackets for the rack. The few that I've worked with have been on Old Style Gassers and all used 3/4 in plate for mounting the racks.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:13 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
I have seen pictures of a setup where the rack bolted to the axle, but then the column needed a M.Mouse arrangement to meet up to the rack so you could steer, but the suspension travel didn't cause steering input changes. I'd like to see how they connect this to the column. Maybe that's what they mean by collapable column, a sliding splined shaft to allow for the shaft length change?
Still think it's the hard way to get PS...

Last edited by AXracer; 12-27-2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:20 PM
rhopper
Posting Guru
rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.
I can't tell from the picture whether the rack is chassis or axle mounted. Chassis mounting will suffer from lots of bumpsteer. The movement of the solid axle and the tie rod ends are just too different. Axle mounting means that the entire rack will move with every bump, making the steering shaft almost like a small diameter drive shaft, with angle and length changes during suspension movement. Not sure that steering shaft u-joints are designed for that type of constant movement. Durability might be a concern. Neither sounds like an improvement over a standard steering box/cross steer arrangement in this application.

Old 12-27-2005, 02:27 PM
olered53
Senior User
olered53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i would like to see one on a truck.the steering arms has two holes where they bolt to the backing plate. then on the steering arm end it looka like a round ball,how does the steering arms and tie rods connect is there a rod thats not shown in the picture or am i missing something?

Old 12-27-2005, 02:28 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Frame mounting wouldn't make sense. Axle mounting with a slip joint column like some 2 piece driveshafts had in the 60's is more likely. I think the u joints would handle it, the amount of loading/wear would be negligible compared to a drive shaft.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:30 PM
av8ford
Junior User
av8ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by AXracer
Frame mounting wouldn't make sense. Axle mounting with a slip joint column like some 2 piece driveshafts had in the 60's is more likely. I think the u joints would handle it, the amount of loading/wear would be negligible compared to a drive shaft.
You've got it! I have a pal who has done this type of installation on early Ford passenger car and F-100 truck axles, using a slip joint between the column and the rack to obviate bumpsteer. We'll be doing this very thing on a '53 F-100 LSR race-truck chassis in February. To get the truck as close to the salt as possible, we're running the spring packs under the axles, and there's no way the side drag-link steering or a cross-steer setup would work with an 8 inch drop of the frame.

FWIW, I think we'll be using a manual R&P from a MOPAR Omni.

Mike

Old 12-27-2005, 06:03 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by av8ford
You've got it! I have a pal who has done this type of installation on early Ford passenger car and F-100 truck axles, using a slip joint between the column and the rack to obviate bumpsteer. We'll be doing this very thing on a '53 F-100 LSR race-truck chassis in February. To get the truck as close to the salt as possible, we're running the spring packs under the axles, and there's no way the side drag-link steering or a cross-steer setup would work with an 8 inch drop of the frame.

FWIW, I think we'll be using a manual R&P from a MOPAR Omni.

Mike
Mike

Keep these guys in the back of your mind: http://www.mavalgear.com/UnisteerCustom.html

I've tried adding extensions to the rack rods, its like trying to push a snake uphill. We had a Willis that liked to wobble after hitting 3rd, not fun at 100+.

Just like Force said: "I saw Elvis a 1000 Ft"

Old 12-27-2005, 06:28 PM
av8ford
Junior User
av8ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Mike

Keep these guys in the back of your mind: http://www.mavalgear.com/UnisteerCustom.html

I've tried adding extensions to the rack rods, its like trying to push a snake uphill. We had a Willis that liked to wobble after hitting 3rd, not fun at 100+.

Just like Force said: "I saw Elvis a 1000 Ft"
I might be mis-remembering the actual steering, but the one Fuller uses requires no extensions to connect to the steering arms.

Thanks for the link. I've added it to my 'favorites' for easy access.

Mike

Old 01-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Mr Mercury
Freshman User
Mr Mercury is starting off with a positive reputation.
The November 2005 issue of Truckin magazine has an article about the power rack and pinion steering setup as sold by No Limit Engineering. The unit has a bracket that bolts to the axle with two holes YOU drill through it. The kit includes the power rack, mounting bracket, tie rod ends, a slip sleeve steering shaft, u-joints, mounting hardware, rubber damping straps ( between rack and mount), and a centering / drilling template. The story has some great pictures and it seems this may be just the setup for some solid axle users. Since the rack mounts to the axle, there would be no bump steer, and the slip sleeve steering shaft helps with movement of the axle.
I have e-mailed them twice but not recieved a reply. My question is, Would this unit also work on the larger One ton truck axles?

Old 01-01-2006, 01:29 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
51ford fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
I still like the Toyota steering box the best, it seems like the best solution.

Old 01-01-2006, 02:00 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 51ford fan
I still like the Toyota steering box the best, it seems like the best solution.
And hard to beat the price.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Mr Mercury
Freshman User
Mr Mercury is starting off with a positive reputation.
Has anyone used one of these Toyota Boxes on a one ton? The frame is larger both ways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new p/s rack for straight axles

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.