Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Insurance on your trucks....

Old 12-27-2005, 03:18 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
wow what deals you guys are getting. i am paying 120.00 a month.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:31 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
WillyB has a great reputation on FTE.WillyB has a great reputation on FTE.WillyB has a great reputation on FTE.WillyB has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by fiftyfourdf100
All of my family's vehicles are registered as leisure vehicles since we have 9 vehicles for the 3 people on the policy(me, mom, and dad), that form of insurance(leisure vehicle) states "for any vehicle to be driven by the insured driver at their leisure" which is any time, I love that little sentence in it.
You had better check this - maybe leisure is play time, not driving to work or school. Does your agent know you are driving it to work?

Old 12-27-2005, 04:48 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.
$475.00 every 6 months.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:12 AM
joners
Elder User
joners is starting off with a positive reputation.
We have public insurance here, only one company we can use. $480/year plus full discount (25%) $50,000 maximum insured value, $200 deductible, and it's only insured 6 months out of the year.

Old 12-27-2005, 09:36 AM
55FordLover
Elder User
55FordLover is starting off with a positive reputation.
okay gentlemen,

I have two vehicles in my name and the wife's that we drive as daily drivers. Now will Grundy still pick me up or do I have to open an account with Geico, Allstate or State Farm? My insurance company (USAA) will not cover the truck since its so old. Great company but they need to cover the old trucks/cars of the days. That would help out a lot of people who has this problem. Just the thought of paying a monthly payment, strikes me due to the fact that the truck is going to be driven every now and then but not every day. Maybe daily driver was too strong to mention. Any suggestions from the FORD WISE MEN of the forum.

Old 12-27-2005, 09:43 AM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
fiftyfourdf100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry Col Flashman, no I didn't write it, I have insurance through Allied Insurance Company, same place my family has done insurance for about 25 years, I forgot to add that we get fleet rate for the amount of vehicles, and the agreed value on my truck was $15,500. Sorry about the oversight.

WillyB, it states in the contract for our insurance as "for driving at the leisure of the insured owner/driver of the vehicle", and we called the head office about it and they said that it is anytime, but you have to have over "x" number of cars to get it. My uncle is one of the underwriters for Allied so he found that little hole for us. I won't drive this to school anyway, maybe to work since I have a big parking lot there, but this policy covers whenever I want to drive it. My Contour will be around $52.75 a month(now $88.95), registered as a leisure vehicle when our new contract goes into effect since I have 2 vehicles to drive, you can't register as leisure vehicle untill you have more than one vehicle. I made sure to check all the angles on my truck's policy because I could lose everything but my truck and my family and still be happy.

Last edited by fiftyfourdf100; 12-27-2005 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster
Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.
55 -

You'll need to look at insurance for a "leisure vehicle". Not a daily driver. There is a big difference. Leisure means that you don't drive it as an everyday vehicle, but covers you using it for other than shows, etc. State Farm has a "Sunday driver" policy that would work. My 56 is insured for any usage on a daily basis for anything other than commercial use.

Read the fine print. When I checked out Grundy and Hagarty, the policy said that essentially you were only covered "to and from events" like cruise night or a show or a parade. Certainly not to and from work, and maye not that trip to grandma's house. Those insurance policies are for collector cars specifically. The claim will be denied if you are not driving it within the specified usage guidelines (and yes, they check that). These are essential policies for the truck while stored, though. Homeowner's insurance doesn't always cover the vehicle if it is damaged in a fire or such while stored. Most collector insurance requires an appraisal, also.

Old 12-27-2005, 10:06 AM
55FordLover
Elder User
thanks Randy....i believe that usaa will be receiving a call from me today....thanks for the help gentlemen...hopefully this question will help a lot of other people searching for the right insurance also.....

Old 12-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Dan Tenn
Senior User
Dan Tenn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Insurance

I use State Farm for my home, and vehicles. My agent will design a plan for basically anything I want to cover. I have a vintage motorcycle that we did an agreed upon value for. I basically brought in for sale adds for like vehicles, and did not need an appraisal. Same thing will happen with my truck when its ready. You can add or subtract specific coverages as you please.

Old 12-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Brian_B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well....I spent a lot of money today, but the 56 is legal now.

I have state farm insurance for an agreed upon value (way lower than Randy's and Tacson's). No appraisal needed. It is not "sunday driver", "antique", or "leisure vehicle" insurance. It is simply a new policy with the same coverage/deductable as my 2001 explorer. Even towing and road side assistance included. No limit on mileage or where/when I can drive it.

I do not have another vehicle insured in my name, so its a little higher than some of you are paying. Its $236 for 6 months.

I can increse the value as I work on the truck. The lady told me to keep receipts for major things. I could insure it as an "antique" a lot cheaper, but there are limitations.

Old 12-27-2005, 06:11 PM
55FordLover
Elder User
Called USAA and they offer me a monthly rate of $29 at $340/py....it is regular insurance with an agreed value of $5,500...they don't need any pics and it will be added to my current policy as a leisure vehicle....unlimited mileage....think i have found faith back in my insurance company...they are going to work out the details for the collision (ded $250) but the liability is $100,000 (ded $200) and comp ded is $200...the underwriters will be contacting me soon....not bad for an old truck eh.....

Old 01-01-2006, 03:06 PM
bradoemba
Senior User
bradoemba is starting off with a positive reputation.
Happy to report that I got a check from my insurance company which covered the 'unapproved' repairs - no questions asked. I couldn't be happier with the service I got from State Farm on this matter. I suppose in the big picture, a $2000 claim for fire damage is peanuts.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Brian_B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by bradoemba
Happy to report that I got a check from my insurance company which covered the 'unapproved' repairs - no questions asked. I couldn't be happier with the service I got from State Farm on this matter. I suppose in the big picture, a $2000 claim for fire damage is peanuts.
Great. That should make several of us (ok....me) feel a lot better.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Okiedokie
Posting Guru
Okiedokie has a good reputation on FTE.Okiedokie has a good reputation on FTE.Okiedokie has a good reputation on FTE.
You guys got me thinking when these were posted last Dec. I decided that when renewal time came for my 53 F100 and my 46 Ford street rod, I would investigate. I have all my insurance with State Farm except these two vehicles. My 2000 F150, 2003 Toyota Highlander, House, Condo [ kids], and personal liability umbrella. Because of this I receive several discounts. Good driver, multi car, multi plan, good guy[ well at least I should] etc. I have the 53 and 46 insured thru NSRA with Sneed, Robinson and Gerber. I pay $326.00 annual on 53 with stated value of $12,000 and $284.00 on the 46 with stated value of $16,000. Yes they are under-insured. I am doing an appraisel on them soon. Because of the liability umbrella state Farm needed the info off these two policys. So when I sent them over I asked the agent to give me a quote for State Farm to cover these two vehicles at those stated values. I did not specify what type of policy, [ daily driver or limited use] and don't know how they figured them. My NSRA coverage is "not daily driven" but otherwise enjoyed with no milage limits. State Farms quote was double???? TWICE as much? They suggested I stay with Sneed. FYI

Old 03-02-2006, 11:57 PM
bradoemba
Senior User
bradoemba is starting off with a positive reputation.
Make sure they are quoting you for thier classic car 'Sunday Driver' policy. I had an old Caddy registered with them as a 3rd car on my regular policy @ $400/year. When I switched to this other policy - stated value $3500 - it went to $120. And I could drive whenever the hell I pleased! Double check with State Farm - they've served me well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Insurance on your trucks....

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.