procomp hei distributor install

Old 05-14-2005, 12:49 PM
TxBrokenarrow
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
procomp hei distributor install

hi again...this is on a 351m motor...pulled out my new procomp hei distributor today to look and see what i am going to be dealing with...the surprise was when i pulled it out it is 2 piece...one the distributor body and the other the bottom part that goes in the cam gear...my question is..do i first drop the cam gear part in first and then the distributor???it looks like that would be the way...if i have the gear part on the end of the dizzy and turn it upright the gear part slides off...has anyone installed one of these???thanks

Old 05-14-2005, 02:59 PM
TMI
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you could post some pics, that would help. I have used other brands of HEI for Fords. They were always together. The bottom part is held together with a roll pin. Again I am assuming, I have not seen that brand of dist. just know what others are like.

What makes the bottom piece positivily turn the distributor?

Old 05-15-2005, 04:57 PM
TxBrokenarrow
Senior User
couldn't figure out how to get the pic on here but its in my gallery. under procomp dist. gear.

Old 05-15-2005, 07:11 PM
TMI
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it looks like it goes together with out roll pins. You could probably put some grease in the gear part, put them together and they should stick together well enough to install like normal. Strickly my guess!!

Old 05-15-2005, 07:39 PM
TxBrokenarrow
Senior User
that was what i was thinking...i just wanted to be sure...looks like it will be a challenge...no reason for this to be any different than the rest of this project...this would be a good challenge for the survivor tv show...i'll try the greese trick...thanks for your time..

Old 05-15-2005, 09:20 PM
grclark351
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how does the overall length compare to the dizzy you pulled out? does the underside of the gear have the 5/16" hex for the oil pump drive? i'm going to put up $2 that what you are showing in the gallery pic is not a distributor for a Ford 335 series engine. my old bud's 340 mopar had a set-up like that. is there a part number on the dizzy that matches the PN on the box that lists out on the application chart to fit your engine? i've never seen a 335 dizzy with a separate drive gear like that? i guess it's possible they made it that way but i'd check things out before getting that gear stuck down the hole! or screwing the cam gear...

Old 05-16-2005, 09:22 AM
TxBrokenarrow
Senior User
http://www.procompelectronics.com/Files/1.html
i got the 6004 part number
it has the 5/16" hex for the oil pump
i'm going to call them today to double check

Old 05-16-2005, 12:04 PM
ranchero77
Senior User
I'm using the same unit and I'm sure the cam gear was fastened with a roll pin or set screw,cant remeber which.
let us know what they say after you talk to them.

Old 05-16-2005, 01:23 PM
TxBrokenarrow
Senior User
ok talked to the procomp guy and he described exactly what i have and he said to tap the fork on the side,then slip the gear on and it will stay...i was thinking of spreading the fork to make it tighter but he said i wanted to squeeze the fork a little...he sounded pretty sure of himself...that kind of makes sence...i haven't tried to install it yet because i wanted to prime the oil pump first...hopefully will in the next couple of days...i'll let ya know what happens...thanks

Old 05-17-2005, 08:21 AM
ranchero77
Senior User
I checked this morning and there is definitly a roll pin through the gear. did the guy from Procomp say why your gear is unattached? maybe they had a problem with them breaking and did away with the roll pin. I hope not.
when did you purchase yours?

Old 05-17-2005, 03:27 PM
TxBrokenarrow
Senior User
mine has a roll pin but is on the part that slides off.it looks like it holds the male part in place on the bottom gear.i didn't think to ask about a design change.i got mine off ebay about 2 or 3 months ago for $97.i hope to have it in by friday.i'll update to let ya know.are you happy with yours?did you have to make any adjustments?

Old 05-17-2005, 06:17 PM
grclark351
Posting Guru
well, if it checks out, it checks out. guess i'm out $2 bucks again? i wonder if the two piece shaft design is their answer to the gear height discrepancy? MSD's info lists the distance from the flange to the bottom of the gear at a different spec than Ford info. more than a few W's have eaten the dizzy and cam gear, possibly due to the dizzy bieng too long and putting everything in a bind? i'm still not sure i like the two piece deal...

Old 05-17-2005, 06:30 PM
TxBrokenarrow
Senior User
hang on clark it hasen't checked out yet.i have thought about that same thing when you asked me about the length.yesterday i did take the bottom gear off and drop it in just to take a look and it came up about 1/4" short from being fully seated.but i did not try to force it passed the rubber o ring.i have heard of other guys putting them in with no problems.i'll let ya know.

Old 05-22-2005, 08:42 AM
TxBrokenarrow
Senior User
well got it in with no problems.i had to tap the fork looking piece to get a tighter fit on the male part so it wouldn't fall off and dropped it in. i had to move it a couple of teeth to get it pointed towards the correct cap terminal but i was releived that it went in.i also was concerned about a arp oil pump drive shaft that i had put in also.it was much beefier than the stock one.but it also was not a problem.one thing i did have to do was install an air cleaner spacer (about 3/4") because the after market air filter was hitting the distributor on top.so with a new weiand 8010, a 1" carb spacer,a holley 80457s (600cfm),a 3/4" air cleaner spacer and after market cleaner with a 3" filter .was still able to shut the hood.the hei was easy to install and looks much cleaner in the engine compartment with 2 wires including tack.thanks for all the help

Old 05-22-2005, 10:57 AM
grclark351
Posting Guru
sounds like so far so good! that 2-piece thing is still real wierd to me though...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: procomp hei distributor install