Notices

Spray in liners for interior

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 01:45 PM
bgblktruk
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spray in liners for interior

Hey guys this may not be the right forum or even the place I may get the best response but I'm going to give a few different forums a shot since I rarely venture away from the BigBronco board.

Anyhow I have an 88 bronco that I am in the midst of deciding what to do with. One of my considerations if I do keep it is to spray the interior floor and walls a spray-in liner, maybe Rhino maybe something else. I have several questions and concerns. The first is can this ever be removed once sprayed in, is it a major ordeal and will it damage the paint or metal once removed? I guess thats actually the first through third questions but whatever.

What is the heat and acoustic insulation value of the spray-in liner? Can or should I prep with dyna mat or another type insulation first?

Are there any other concerns you would have or can think of that I might need to consider?

Thanks

Mike

Old 10-17-2005, 08:45 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
I'm a LINE-X dealer. We've sprayed the interior of several Bronco's.

You should consider the application permanent. It's VERY difficult to remove. If you did remove it, the paint would be ruined.

The temperature tolerance of LINE-X is 250 degrees (Rhino is 175 degrees). I don't know the acoustic insulation properties.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-17-2005, 09:57 AM
bgblktruk
Tuned
When you say tolerance does that mean it can reflect heat to those temps or that is before it starts to melt? Is there anyway that it could be made non permanent. I was thinking maybe applying it just to the floors and then the back side of the diamond plate rear panels I'm thinking about installing. Are there any benefits that you could point out seeing as you are an installer. I have considered Line-X also is it the same process? What is your take?

Thanks for the response.

Mike

Old 10-17-2005, 10:38 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
The temp tolerance is the point where it begins to melt.

When the product is sprayed, it's sprayed on a surface that has been prepared so that the bedliner material will stick to it. So, if it doesn't stick, it will come off. We spray test panels of LINE-X on a 3 x 3 ft piece of aluminum that has a light coating of Turtle Wax. The LINE-X peels off easily. So, I suppose you could do the same on any metal surface. But, I have never done this on a vehicle.

What are the main reasons for installing LINE-X? Is it for acoustic reasons only?

Old 10-17-2005, 03:43 PM
bgblktruk
Tuned
No I am a contractor, fisherman, hunter, offroader, and carpet in this truck is not practical. The important factor is looks and ease of maintenance. The secondary factor and still important is acoustic properties because I like my music and conversation and an 88 with knobbie tires and 3 in exhaust is not condusive to either.

That wax idea is interesting but with the cost it seems like the risk might not be worth the reward. Thanks and if you don't mind I will probably need a few more ideas. If you are in the So Cal area maybe I'll take my business to you.

Thanks

Mike

EDIT: Just saw you're in Texas.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:36 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
No problemo, let me know if you have any questions.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:33 PM
bgblktruk
Tuned
TruckDaddy I'm interested to know if you believe your product can be sprayed over Dynamat. Just in case you aren't familiar with it its a sound dampner with an aluminum lining on top. I'm very concerned about sound and this seems to me a good way to get the best of both worlds. They also make a spray on product that seems to be similar in theory to Line-X but I don't know how much the products differ, they recommned it for road noise. Anyhow if you have any info or a resource you could direct me to, so I can find out I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your help so far.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:17 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
I know of a Car Toys store that frequently sprays custom speakers, etc. with LINE-X. I believe the store's telephone number is 972-316-8360. Give them a call and they can probably give you some feedback as to the sound characteristics of LINE-X. I know that LINE-X dampens road noise but I can't describe in words how much.

LINE-X can be applied to aluminum.

Old 11-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Customz
Postmaster
Will Line-X work on steel wheels?

Old 11-11-2005, 06:48 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
The LINE-X bedliner product XS-100 can be applied to most metals (not chrome), plastic, some rubbers, cement, fiberglass, and wood.

Yes, it can be applied to steel wheels.

Old 11-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Customz
Postmaster
Are there any problems with balancing, peeling, etc?

Do the tires need to be removed? How much are 5 wheels?

Old 11-11-2005, 09:12 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
It would be best (easier and would produce better results) if the tires were removed. I highly suggest the wheels be rebalanced.

If you were at my shop, I would apply a light coating of either etching primer or LINE-X XPM primer. Peeling is possible where there exists an edge where the product stops on the metal. Water could penetrate at this edge and cause peeling. The risk of peeling will be reduced if primer is used along these edges.

Dealer prices will vary. I'm probably not supposed to post prices since I'm not a supporting vendor.

Old 11-12-2005, 01:58 AM
Customz
Postmaster
Have any contacts in AZ?

Old 11-12-2005, 01:59 AM
Customz
Postmaster
Does it just work? or does it look good? Drop me an email, I appreciate the help.

Old 11-12-2005, 07:39 AM
DJones71
Junior User
I've seen alot of people use the line-x on under carriage parts. I've been toying with the idea of using it instead of under coating. I would think it would work great in the back of your Bronco. You could always carpet over it later on. I have seen this coating in colors also.

Dave

Quick Reply: Spray in liners for interior