metal shavings in my differential

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 03:49 PM
beddins
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
metal shavings in my differential

About a week ago I started noticing a whinning noise coming form the rear of my 04 sport trac. Today I took it in for an oil change and asked the guy there to check the fluid in my differential because of the whinning. He came back up with the plug. The plug have a considerable amount of metal shavings on it along with some metal chunks. Since my truck is still under warrenty he told me to go to a dealership and tell them whats going on. The people at the dealership said that it was normal to have a few shaving and told me that there was nothing wrong. I'm in a bind right now, one person is telling me that it is ok and another telling me it is very bad. What do ya'll think and what should I do?
Thanks

Old 12-23-2005, 04:56 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:49 PM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by beddins
About a week ago I started noticing a whinning noise coming form the rear of my 04 sport trac. Today I took it in for an oil change and asked the guy there to check the fluid in my differential because of the whinning. He came back up with the plug. The plug have a considerable amount of metal shavings on it along with some metal chunks. Since my truck is still under warrenty he told me to go to a dealership and tell them whats going on. The people at the dealership said that it was normal to have a few shaving and told me that there was nothing wrong. I'm in a bind right now, one person is telling me that it is ok and another telling me it is very bad. What do ya'll think and what should I do?
Thanks

Run - don't walk - to a different dealer and turn it in. These modern trannys should not habve shavings in the fluid. You're going to have a big boat anchor soon.

Get it to another dealer as soon as you can.

CMOS

Old 12-23-2005, 11:45 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
he said in the diff. i cant imagine any kind of shavings in the diff would be very good, and would represent a bad setup on them. i would get it looked at by another dealer. get something done, that way its at least on record if somthing goes right around the end of the waranty time.

Old 12-24-2005, 01:04 AM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Some shavings may not necessarily be abnormal, especially if it was never checked for a long time; however, more often than not, this signals trouble. If you have lots of warranty left, just wipe the plug clean a few times to see if it the shavings get replenished and/or the noise is getting worse. If you have not much time left, insists on it being fixed.

Old 12-24-2005, 01:06 AM
chrono4
Post Fiend
metal shavings on it along with some metal chunks.
but with chunks, id say bigger problems on hands. how big of "chunks" were there?

Old 12-24-2005, 01:11 AM
scafes
Senior User
If its "whinning", then odds are it is a bearing going bad and is probably throwing off metal. Get it checked out soon or the whinning will turn to clunking.

Old 12-24-2005, 06:05 AM
The SnoMan
Elder User
Originally Posted by CMOS
Run - don't walk - to a different dealer and turn it in. These modern trannys should not habve shavings in the fluid. You're going to have a big boat anchor soon.

Get it to another dealer as soon as you can.

CMOS
Not really. If depends on the shavings type and apperance. It is not at all unusual for some shaving to be not flushed out during manufacturing and assembly to show u in first change or so in a rear axle so it alone is not a reason to hit panic button. It is the nature of the shave, not there presence that decides this. If you have a gear noise,get them to fix that as they need to shavings or not. Small discolored flecks of metal are of far greater concern if they appear

Last edited by The SnoMan; 12-24-2005 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:38 AM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Okay, regardless of mileage or other stuff, a diff that is whining and has shavings and chunks, needs to be fixed. The whining WILL get louder and the rear end WILL come apart. Get it fixed before it leaves you stranded.

Whining in a diff is a sure sign that it is going out on you.

Old 12-24-2005, 04:13 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a few small shaving in a diff = ok

a decent amount of shavings + whirling noise + 8.8" rear end = backed off pinion nut + trashed pinion bearing = bad

find a different dealer and don't let them BS you.

if you have your explorer shut off, chalk your wheels, put the tranny in neutral, and crawl under and rotate & move your rear driveshaft back and forth, I think you will find some play. it should have no play at all (or at least hardly any at all).

Last edited by bremen242; 12-24-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:04 PM
beddins
New User
The size of the chunks are the size of a broken off pencil lead. Small in size but when comparing them to the shavings, they are large and stand out. The whinning is loudest from 0 to about 30 but I can still faintly hear it at faster speeds.

thank's for the help

Old 12-24-2005, 10:22 PM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The size of the chunks are the size of a broken off pencil lead. Small in size but when comparing them to the shavings, they are large and stand out. The whinning is loudest from 0 to about 30 but I can still faintly hear it at faster speeds.

thank's for the help

No way is that normal. I'd bet money you're looking at a new ring and pinion set.

CMOS

Old 12-24-2005, 11:24 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
more than likely, the whining is improper mesh between the gears, like said, gonna need all gone threw with new bearings, as there gonna be pretty shot from all the shavings

Old 12-25-2005, 05:20 AM
The SnoMan
Elder User
Originally Posted by CMOS
No way is that normal. I'd bet money you're looking at a new ring and pinion set.

CMOS
The two "problems" are unreleated. When ring gears wear out they produce fleck or metal not shavings. Also failing bearings can do the same but "chucks or metal are usually left over from manufacturing or possible badly worn spider gearsfrom excessive wheel spinning and LSD diffs that are clutch based can also put some shavings or chucks in the lube too at times. He might also have a bearing problem in rear axle but it is hard to say for sure without hearing or know the true nature of the noise. Worn ring gears tend to get noisier with speed, not quieter.

Old 12-25-2005, 09:30 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The SnoMan
The two "problems" are unreleated. When ring gears wear out they produce fleck or metal not shavings. Also failing bearings can do the same but "chucks or metal are usually left over from manufacturing or possible badly worn spider gearsfrom excessive wheel spinning and LSD diffs that are clutch based can also put some shavings or chucks in the lube too at times. He might also have a bearing problem in rear axle but it is hard to say for sure without hearing or know the true nature of the noise. Worn ring gears tend to get noisier with speed, not quieter.
you are overlooking the point that whether or not the shavings or chips are from bearings or the ring gear. if clunks are going through the bearings or ring gear/pinion combo, he will need eventually need a rebuild.

Every rear i've had that started making noise ended badly, whether it being a destroyed pinion bearing or ground up spider gears, the chunk will destroy something.

Also, manufacturing normally don't leave chunks laying around in your diff. When they do, bad things similar to this happen.

LSD clutch packs contain friction material. Friction material can have metal in it, but it is normally tiny pieces that wouldn't cause trouble.

-chrono-
more than likely, the whining is improper mesh between the gears, like said, gonna need all gone threw with new bearings, as there gonna be pretty shot from all the shavings

very true. And most times the improper mesh is caused by a failing bearing which misaligns the pinion or carrier enough to foobar everything. However, I am guessing the whining is coming from the bearings. Gearsets, when properly setup don't whine.

This diff need to be looked over by a qualified dealer to be repaired. If the bearings are going bad, the more it is ran, the worse the destruction will be.

Quick Reply: metal shavings in my differential