Modular V10 (6.8l)  

It coulda been worse!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 10:12 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy It coulda been worse!

I get up early (I work until 2am) and take the wife's Expy to the dealership to repair a leaking front axle. After the kid wakes up, wife loads kid & dogs up in my truck to make her way down and pick me up. Wife drops the dogs off at the vet for a bath and calls me to say that she thinks one of them may have wet on the seat. Not a big deal as the seats are vinyl. Still, not a good thing.

While standing around waiting for her to pick me up, I get a second call. This one was to "let me know" about the dent in my truck.

Seems she stopped off at McD's drive-thru to get the kiddo some chow. Not being used to the crew cab long-bed, she takes the "short route" and doesn't have enough room to make the corner without compressing the truck. And, since she was 'already hitting' the post, she decided to go ahead and pull on forward!

When she finally arrives at the dealership to pick me up, I get a chance to survey the damage. Suprisingly, it wasn't really all that bad. There's a small dent just below & behind the fuel filler door and several areas of that lovely McD red/orange paint on both sides of the wheel opening. Luckily, the paint is just on the fender flare and a little buffing should take it off. I may even be able to pop the dent out! All in all, I'd say that the Super Duty vs McDonalds battle ended in a tie.

On the good news front, the shop got the Expy fixed today (leaking axle seal) and they'll have my replacement F250 fender badges (paint came off original ones) tomorrow. Oh yeah, the dog did NOT pee in the seat either.

With under 4400 miles on it, my truck is now officially "broken" in.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:30 PM
G Lube
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mom got a 2001 Taurus brand new. It was the first new car she had owned in a while. She was so nervous about driving it because she was afraid something would happen to it. She got the car on a Tuesday and on Friday, while her car was parked at work, some guy backed into the rear passenger side door. It was a $1000 worth of damage. After that day though, she was never worried or nervous about driving the car.

If you are always worried about ur car getting it, it will happen and she learned her lesson. I feel for you NoMo but remember: its a truck. They do not get used, they get abused.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:32 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by G Lube
...but remember: its a truck. They do not get used, they get abused.
I agree completely! My wife was far more upset than I about the dent. Now that I re-read my post, the intent wasn't as clear as I first thought. I was mostly impressed by how well the truck "fought" the drive-thru.

While waiting for her, I was talking to the salesman who sold us the Expy and told him about the dent. He, in turn, told me about a woman who bought a brand new '05 Ford 500 car a couple of months ago. She took delivery of the new ride and, as she was backing out of the parking space, she rammed one of the light poles in the lot. Less than 10 miles on the car and she did $5000 worth of damage to it. Now that would have 'hurt'!

Old 12-21-2005, 08:20 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
CC LB can be a challange

Nomo, I am glad the damage is small. I am sure your wife is like mine and knows how much we like these big toys of ours so she probably felt pretty upset about it. Sounds like everything is good now.

I just love the CC LB but there are many parking lots that just were not designed for these Big Pickups. Yesterday I had to take my Daughter into a clinic for a minor surgury procedure and you have to go into the underground
parking lot to pick up the patient after surgury. We checked this out and no way a CC LB would fit in that place so we had to use our car for this trip.

Take care and let us know how the repair goes, Don.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles, NoMo.

Last night my wife and I had a little respite from the kids and decided to eat out and watch a movie at home. She instructed me to stop at Catfish King and pick up our supper. After ordering I pulled up - and knowing in order to get my truck into the pickup lane, I'd have to swing wide - the guy behind me thought I was leaving and pulled ahead of me. I finally had to get out and explain to him what was going on. He didn't get it, of course, but he did, kindly , allow me to pull back into line.

It is aggravating...trying to make all those pint-sized turns and get into and out of all the dwarfed parking areas with these big trucks, though.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:17 AM
tfalk
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
You should have seen the 'battle' between my 99 CC/LB F250 and a Limo.

I had a scratch on the rim. The limo had to be flat-bedded since it's nose was peeled off

Old 12-21-2005, 09:19 AM
DShira
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My mom had a new 55 dodge which she parked at the bowling alley. While she was inside, the car next to it caught on fire and started burning the drivers side of the Dodge. Fireman arrived, broke the drivers side glass and opened the drivers door to push the Dodge away from the burning car, but the drivers door caught on the bumper of the burning car and pulled the door all the way around against the fender. So the car was burned, glass broken, door & fender caved in and she didn't know about it until she tried to leave the bowling alley 30 min later. So yes it could have been worse.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:58 AM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NoMo
I get up early (I work until 2am) and take the wife's Expy to the dealership to repair a leaking front axle. After the kid wakes up, wife loads kid & dogs up in my truck to make her way down and pick me up. Wife drops the dogs off at the vet for a bath and calls me to say that she thinks one of them may have wet on the seat. Not a big deal as the seats are vinyl. Still, not a good thing.

While standing around waiting for her to pick me up, I get a second call. This one was to "let me know" about the dent in my truck.

Seems she stopped off at McD's drive-thru to get the kiddo some chow. Not being used to the crew cab long-bed, she takes the "short route" and doesn't have enough room to make the corner without compressing the truck. And, since she was 'already hitting' the post, she decided to go ahead and pull on forward!

When she finally arrives at the dealership to pick me up, I get a chance to survey the damage. Suprisingly, it wasn't really all that bad. There's a small dent just below & behind the fuel filler door and several areas of that lovely McD red/orange paint on both sides of the wheel opening. Luckily, the paint is just on the fender flare and a little buffing should take it off. I may even be able to pop the dent out! All in all, I'd say that the Super Duty vs McDonalds battle ended in a tie.

On the good news front, the shop got the Expy fixed today (leaking axle seal) and they'll have my replacement F250 fender badges (paint came off original ones) tomorrow. Oh yeah, the dog did NOT pee in the seat either.

With under 4400 miles on it, my truck is now officially "broken" in.
my first wife couldn't drive a skateboard through a triple wide garage door without hitting the sides (both of em). But fenders are cheaper to replace than wives, and fenders don't get their feelings hurt and remind you of your insensitivity for the next 15 yrs.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Agronomist
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Things happen.....

Sorry about what happened NoMo. A fella can get bent out of shape or handle things like that with class (as you did).

My son just got his license and wanted to borrow my new truck for a church project of painting a ladys house. All was fine until he was leaving and backed into a fire hydrant. Put a ding in bumper and he was upset until I told him no big deal .. just don't do it again.

40 years ago I was checking dad's cattle and ran smack into a stump. That bumper was pointing straight out like a battering ram. I showed it to dad and all he said was.. just don't do it again. Sure miss my dad.

Have a great Christmas!

Old 12-21-2005, 12:57 PM
bbfried
Cross-Country
Sorry to hear about the truck. I'm a coward who buys his prescratched.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:53 PM
G Lube
Senior User
Originally Posted by bbfried
I'm a coward who buys his prescratched.
And when they are prescratched, the next scratch is even less noticable.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:58 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nomo ! Sorry
Stuff Happens! Give the wife a big hug an a kiss !
I have my 02 duty ,just yesterday somebody hit it for the first time!
Rich

Old 12-21-2005, 08:44 PM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
.......I hate mailboxes with sharp edges.......

Old 12-21-2005, 09:42 PM
captchas
nomo
thats 2 of us damaged today then.
i got run off the road by a ricer. i'm going up the big hill he's going down the hill to fast in my up hill lane. i missed the phone pole but wound up though a snow bank, over a big rock and tree stump. had to get towed out. est.is 5 grand.
the ricer kid never even stopped just kept on going. i have a piece of his farings and his color honda paint. i get him my dogs get ------- for dinner.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:50 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ken04
my first wife couldn't drive a skateboard through a triple wide garage door without hitting the sides (both of em).
LMAO- mine can't drive an '02 F150 SuperCrew through a 10' garage door either. The garage still shows the wounds from that battle. Again, the Ford came out with just a scratch.

Well, today the sun came out and I got a better look. There's a little more damage than I first thought, but it's still not bad. She did get up and take the truck to the dealership for the new fender badges (with paint! ) today so I could get some sleep. So, I guess she's a keeper.

Cap'n- that's terrible, but at least you're OK! Did your airbags deploy?
Hope you find the a-hole and get the appropriate payment from him. I was actually afraid that something like that had happened to the wife yesterday. Was glad to know it was just a drive-thru "event".

Quick Reply: It coulda been worse!