Need enlightenment on wastegate - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need enlightenment on wastegate

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #16  
Old 12-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Deano83 Deano83 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4
Deano83 is starting off with a positive reputation.
you could over-spool your turbo, so you need to set the wastegate to a certain boost. you do this by adjusting the copper coloered rod on the back of the turbo.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-21-2005, 04:40 PM
BadAss01F250 BadAss01F250 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 34
BadAss01F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
how do you go about adjusting the rod on the wastegate for more boost?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-21-2005, 05:50 PM
wlihntr's Avatar
wlihntr wlihntr is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: colorado
Posts: 4,758
wlihntr has a good reputation on FTE.wlihntr has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAss01F250
how do you go about adjusting the rod on the wastegate for more boost?
i posted instructions on how do it a while ago, but here they are again

ok i just finished the "shorten your rod mod" WARNING: this is not that easy and has the potential to lose all kinds of tools and srews so be careful. remove the two clamps on the cold side charge tube on top of the engine(gives you ,more room to work)next you will need to remove the clip holding the rod to the waste gate, you will need a mechanics mirror to see what you are doing. i used a corkscrew from a swissarmy kinfe to get the clip off. the clip will go flying and like was said before 99% of the time you will not find it(i on the other hand am in that 1%...I FOUND THE CLIP!!)now move to the other side of the engine bay and remove the actuator(the gold canister)it is held on by 2 10mm bolts they are on the inside of the bracket and are a little difficult to get to, also be careful when you take the bolts off, if you drop them you are probable not going to find them.take the whole assembley out and screw in the rod on the threaded part. it will not screw in all the way to the end of the threads there will be about 1/4-1/2 inch left. now put the assembley back and hook the rod back to the waste gate. it will be difficult to ovecome the spring pressure to get the rod back in place.i used a pair of plumers pliers and came from the drivers side i gripped the rod in my right hand with the pliers and used a long screwdriver to hold the wastegate in place. this is the reason you dont put the bolts in yet, if you can not get the rod hooked back up you will have to take it out and make it a little longer. i was able to screw the rod in as far as it would go and reattach it(it was not easy)...good luck
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-23-2008, 09:35 AM
c00nhunterjoe's Avatar
c00nhunterjoe c00nhunterjoe is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: oxford pa
Posts: 8,565
c00nhunterjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.c00nhunterjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.c00nhunterjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.
how much of a difference is this? does it do the same thing as the banks big head wasgate actuator?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Kwikkordead's Avatar
Kwikkordead Kwikkordead is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: North Seattle, WA.
Posts: 22,282
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlihntr
i posted instructions on how do it a while ago, but here they are again

ok i just finished the "shorten your rod mod" WARNING: this is not that easy and has the potential to lose all kinds of tools and srews so be careful. remove the two clamps on the cold side charge tube on top of the engine(gives you ,more room to work)next you will need to remove the clip holding the rod to the waste gate, you will need a mechanics mirror to see what you are doing. i used a corkscrew from a swissarmy kinfe to get the clip off. the clip will go flying and like was said before 99% of the time you will not find it(i on the other hand am in that 1%...I FOUND THE CLIP!!)now move to the other side of the engine bay and remove the actuator(the gold canister)it is held on by 2 10mm bolts they are on the inside of the bracket and are a little difficult to get to, also be careful when you take the bolts off, if you drop them you are probable not going to find them.take the whole assembley out and screw in the rod on the threaded part. it will not screw in all the way to the end of the threads there will be about 1/4-1/2 inch left. now put the assembley back and hook the rod back to the waste gate. it will be difficult to ovecome the spring pressure to get the rod back in place.i used a pair of plumers pliers and came from the drivers side i gripped the rod in my right hand with the pliers and used a long screwdriver to hold the wastegate in place. this is the reason you dont put the bolts in yet, if you can not get the rod hooked back up you will have to take it out and make it a little longer. i was able to screw the rod in as far as it would go and reattach it(it was not easy)...good luck
If you have access to compressed air, the easiest way to get that rod back on the WG lever is to pressurize the canister (gently!) and the rod extends out and you can simply drop it onto the WG lever. The air pressure overcomes the spring pressure effortlessly.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-23-2008, 10:54 AM
MTDewX's Avatar
MTDewX MTDewX is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 1,032
MTDewX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.MTDewX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just got a new toy from Dieselsite, and it seem to work pretty well, as waste-gates go. I think its better than just un-plugging the red line. this will still release when it gets to your pre-setted psi.

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...S&Category=569
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-13-2008, 06:24 PM
distortedcloud's Avatar
distortedcloud distortedcloud is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Red Deer, AB
Posts: 97
distortedcloud is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm just about to put everything back together, and I am wondering if this will cause problems with the turbo? Just curious......

also is there any easier way to get the rod back on? the old man has the compressor(waiting for him to come back).

nevermind, I found the air compressor tucked away in the garbage. Thanks Kwik for the idea of using it.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to diesel trucks, need help finding one D4Luck 1999 to 2016 Super Duty 10 06-28-2017 10:52 PM
Weather Stripping FORDF100SB 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 7 05-19-2016 01:33 AM
1938 Ford Fire Truck oldie1130 1947 and Older Ford Trucks 11 08-26-2010 08:59 AM
EGR on EFI system yomow 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco 4 02-12-2010 11:12 AM
What Ton jack to i need for superduty ? browntown3 1999 to 2016 Super Duty 18 11-26-2008 10:13 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
2001, 64, 73, 73l, actuator, adjusting, boost, diesel, ford, gate, levers, powerstroke, turbo, waste, wastegate, work

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.