02 F250 Overhead Console Gone Out - Page 20 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

02 F250 Overhead Console Gone Out

Old 01-27-2017, 10:29 PM
infoseeker11
New User
infoseeker11 is starting off with a positive reputation.

This is a 2004 f350 overhead console (OTC). Just died last week. Same issue as this thread ... bad solder joints on the 640 resisters.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:29 AM
ronmo
New User
ronmo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Overhead console

Just bought a 03 7.3 F250 CC and no display. It looks like I have found my direction here! I hate pulling on those plastic pieces and it sounds like this piece really makes you think you are going to break something. I will be sure to repost after I have a look at mine.

Now to look for my fuel gauge reading below E...

Thanks and
Ron

Old 05-21-2017, 09:42 PM
Joshua Jacobs
New User
Joshua Jacobs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Miescha View Post
Here is the process to remove and repair the overhead console in your truck. Click on the red links for detailed photos.

First, you must remove the outer shell (colored to match the interior of your truck). There are five tension clips that hold the shell in place. Begin by pulling downward (I just use my fingers to prevent damage) on the front (toward windshield) of the shell. You must pull VERY hard - it feels like it will break, but has never happened to me, and I've done a few now.

Once the front two tension clips pop loose, you must release two "L" shaped tension clips that lock into the storage compartment. You can BARELY see the tips of the clips when looking inside the compartment. Use a flat head screwdriver or similar tool to push out on the clips until they release. I've also tried reaching above the outer shell to pull on these clips (rather than pushing from inside the storage compartment), but my hands are too big.

Once these two are released, there is one final tension clip on the rear that comes off fairly easily.

Next, you will see the black inner shell. First, unplug the wire harness on the passenger side of the unit. Next, you must again pull from the front (toward the windshield) with force to release two additional tension clips. Finally, tilt the unit downward to release the "L" bracket at the rear (the "L" shaped bracket slides into a hole in the roof - no pulling required).

Once you have the unit out, remove the circuit board from the inner shell by removing the three torx screws (I believe they are 8mm but I can't recall).

Once the circuit board is removed, locate the 7 chips on the circuit board behind the display. They are labeled 620 and 680. The two I most often find loose are the two in the center directly behind the display - but check them all. Once the loose chips are located, re-attach them using a soldering pen (DO NOT USE A SOLDERING GUN AS THEY ARE TOO HOT AND MAY DAMAGE THE CIRCUIT BOARD). If there is not sufficient solder already in place (often the case for me), add additional solder as needed.

Now test the display by plugging in just the board in your truck and turn the key. If all works, put the board back on the inner shell and then replace the inner shell and plug in the wire harness. Then snap the outer shell in place and enjoy!

Check out my gallery for additional photos. If you find the chips are not the problem and the board is actually dead, check out ebay or similar locations to find a better deal than the $500 the dealer wants. I've never had luck at scrap yards, but you might try those also. Finally, if you really can't find one, drop me a message and I'll see if I have any left from prior bulk purchases made prior to discovering the above repair procedure.

Let me know if you have additional questions and good luck!
You sir, are my personal hero for the day. Followed your steps and it works like a charm.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:48 PM
Joshua Jacobs
New User
Joshua Jacobs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Foam

Originally Posted by F3504ME View Post
Just added an update and wonder any thoughts on the foam question

I removed mine as well. I work with micro-computer repair folks and called a couple before I reinstalled the board. They said Chuck it, not needed and could cause issues down the road. Since they work on multi million dollar equipment in the Navy I chose to believe them.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Macerdaffi
New User
Macerdaffi is starting off with a positive reputation.
permanent fix

I fixed this consol 4 times and then found ebay repair guy named Ruberg and had it fixed and shipped in less than a week for $22. Sweet.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:19 PM
Darrylcases
New User
Darrylcases is starting off with a positive reputation.
Parts to overhead console

Do you have any of the parts available? If so how can I get a hold of you to get a new circuit board?

Old 07-26-2017, 06:21 PM
Darrylcases
New User
Darrylcases is starting off with a positive reputation.
Repair guy ebay

Do you have the contact information available? I'm having the same problem
do you have the contact information available? I'm having the same problem!

QUOTE=Macerdaffi;17280199]I fixed this consol 4 times and then found ebay repair guy named Ruberg and had it fixed and shipped in less than a week for $22. Sweet.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-26-2017, 07:14 PM
Big_John
Freshman User
Big_John is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Darrylcases View Post
Do you have the contact information available? I'm having the same problem
do you have the contact information available? I'm having the same problem!

Mine is on the way out there now.

Ford F150 F250 F350 Compass Temperature Overhead Console Display Repair Service

Old 08-16-2017, 10:19 PM
ronmo
New User
ronmo is starting off with a positive reputation.
2003 F250 Lariat console update,
Because of everything I have read I was sure the problem was a bad circuit board, I never even looked for a fuse.
I had Dave Ruberg fix mine for $22 (Dave is super nice on the phone and fast service. It was back in the mail within 2 hours of delivery to him)
I got it back yesterday and put it back in last night and it is still dark.... SO NOW, I have looked in my manual and no fuse is mentioned for the overhead console. I have had the truck for almost 6 months and everything works, so DOES it have a fuse somewhere that I need to find?
I called Dave, he said to check it should have 6 wires on the top row and 4 on the bottom row.
My trucks plug has only has 5 on the top row and 4 on the bottom. (It sure looks to be factory..)
The circuit board has 6 pins on the top row and 4 on the bottom row,(two on each side with a gap in the center).

Anyone have theirs open to have a look and see If my truck is missing something...

Thank all
Ron

Old 01-21-2018, 08:51 AM
b7200
Freshman User
b7200 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.b7200 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Does anyone know if Dave Ruberg is still fixing these OH consoles. I searched on ebay without any luck. Mine is missing a chip.
Thanks
Phil

Old 01-21-2018, 08:55 AM
Big_John
Freshman User
Big_John is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by b7200 View Post
Does anyone know if Dave Ruberg is still fixing these OH consoles. I searched on ebay without any luck. Mine is missing a chip.
Thanks
Phil
I believe this is who you are looking for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F150-F...614?rmvSB=true

Old 01-21-2018, 09:18 AM
b7200
Freshman User
b7200 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.b7200 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks Big John

Old 07-21-2018, 04:57 PM
patbeireis
New User
patbeireis is starting off with a positive reputation.
Okay,
Been a member for awhile.
I just bought '04 F350 Superduty with a non functional console. I followed the instructions posted by Joshua Jacobs...Heck Yes!
Thanks fella's
Pat