Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

T5 Tranny Conversion for 1950 Pickup

Old 01-01-2006, 11:15 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
51ford fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by reamer
I jus took out the original tranny out of my '48 F-5 and bolted in a T-98 fit in the crossmember mount too.
That and an Eaton 2-sp, 8forward and 2 reverse!
It never fails, just when you start thinking you did the best swap someone comes along with an idea or swap that might have been less hassel. Reamer, are you using all 8 forward gears, it sounds like an intresting conversion.

Rod

Last edited by 51ford fan; 01-01-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:52 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
51 Ford Fan, Have you driven the truck yet? I'm curious how that's going to work out with both OD 5th (either .86 or .73) and a 3.23 axle. You'll be at either 2.32 or 2.77 overall gearing, which is mighty steep! What size tires are you running (diameter)? Let us know how that works out.
The overdrive gearing .73 (I believe) was a concern for me also. But reading all the information I could find on the subject left me more confused as everyone had a differend opinion. I was afraid the 3.78 first gear ratio would be too steep, but then again with the 4.40 stroke of the 6 made me wonder. I live in the Seattle area so there is a lot of hills here and I wanted to be sure I could climb them with no problem. I decided to install the trans and rearend as is and give it a try, then change the rearend ratio if need be. On my first time out with it yesterday, it was just wonderful having that fully syncro 5 speed in there. It climbed the hill buy my house just great with the old trans I would have had to use 2nd gear for about 1/4 mile up the hill as I would loose to much forward momentum upon shifting. The S10 was able to handle it easly taking off, and in second gear. I was only able to get up enough speed to use 5th gear for about 1/4 mile at around 45-50 but that 226 didn't bog. I can't at this time give you an RPM reading at a certain speed as the 89 trans has the electronic spedo hookup and I need to purchase an electronic speedometer as soon as Mama will let me (LOL). I Like the features of those TPI-TECH gauges from Its-a-Snap Wire and Cable that are advertised in the Classic Truck Magazine. As for my rear tires Im running 225-75-R15 off an SUV right now I may drop back to 215 next time I purchase tires.
I forgot to mention I have removed 1/2 of the spring leafs front and rear, installed the plastic strips between them and it dropped the truck quite a bit. The running boards are 10" off the ground and the truck rides a whole lot better. If anyone wants me to e-mail you the pictures I have taken so far of the trans install send me your e-mail address.

Rod

Last edited by 51ford fan; 01-01-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:14 PM
reamer
Postmaster
reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.
Yep, all 8 forward, It is a bit of a "syncronised dance" though.
Second low, step on the clutch, Shift and pull the lever on the dash to second high and so on. I'll make a 12V actuator and a button on the lever. Should be much smoother that way.
The T-98 conversion needed no adaptor plate, just bolt up to the flathead, and the crossmember mount holes lined up perfectly.
So does the shift lever to existing shift lever-hole in the pan.
E-brake needed a minor adjustment of lengthing the travel of the eye bolt.
short shaft to the carrier was shorted @ 3" (I can give anyone the actual cut length if you want it.
Reamer

Old 01-01-2006, 06:34 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
51Ford, since it may still be fresh on your mind, how wide a chunk of crossmember did you have to cut out (is it centered)? I'm getting tempted to do something...

The 6-banger is a torquey motor, glad it can pull those gears!

Old 01-01-2006, 07:02 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
I really didn't measure it, I had already pulled that original trans through the cab when I first bought the truck and hurt my back and had no intention of doing it again. So I cut the crossmember straight down from the outside of the rear mount so I could drop the 4 speed down on the floor jack. I had intended to clean up the cut section with the grinder but got in a hurry to get the S10 trans in place and didn't do it I will do it on a warmer day. I cut the crossmember with a Sawzall and it took me probably 5 minutes at most, I think that was the easiest part of the whole job. I'm sure glad I decided to run the right front brake line around the front crossmember instead of that one though. If you like send me an e-mail with your e-mail address and I will send you a picture of the crossmember and the new trans mount. I will also add that picture to my gallery tomorrow I have to get back under it to double check everything and adjust the emergency brake.

Last edited by 51ford fan; 01-01-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:11 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by reamer
Yep, all 8 forward, It is a bit of a "syncronised dance" though.
Second low, step on the clutch, Shift and pull the lever on the dash to second high and so on. I'll make a 12V actuator and a button on the lever. Should be much smoother that way.
The T-98 conversion needed no adaptor plate, just bolt up to the flathead, and the crossmember mount holes lined up perfectly.
So does the shift lever to existing shift lever-hole in the pan.
E-brake needed a minor adjustment of lengthing the travel of the eye bolt.
short shaft to the carrier was shorted @ 3" (I can give anyone the actual cut length if you want it.
Reamer
How much did they sock you for the driveshaft modification, just asking to see if the price I paid was realistic. Sure seems like driveline work has gone up a lot.

Old 01-01-2006, 08:35 PM
reamer
Postmaster
reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.
$116 for shorten, new U-jionts and carrier.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:15 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Ok Guys, I just completly updated my gallery pictures and wording on installing the 5-speed trans. Could you please look at it, and let me know if it makes sense to you, and if the step by step imstructions are clear.

Thanks Rod

Old 01-02-2006, 11:42 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
restoringmy46 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rod, I have to say that you done a heck of a job on explaining what you did and what parts you used. It looks like you did your homework on this project. They way you took pictures and explained what we was looking at was awesome. You have sent me pics of your truck and some of the S-10 trans, plus you have given me alot of advice on my 226 and the S-10 trans that I have. When I'm ready to do my trans swap believe me I will be looking at your gallery alot. Thanks for posting the pics of your project and explaining what you did. Plus I looked at your split manifold pics of the 226. I might be asking you some advice on that to when I get ready to do that. Again THANK YOU for the pics and all your help!! Thanks Scott (48 and 52 F1)

Old 01-04-2006, 06:36 AM
FOWL1
Senior User
FOWL1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Would this work on a '53-'55 F-250? I have 2 F-250's, 1 '53 and 1 '55 both with the T-98 4 speed now and would love to get some highway speeds from them. The bell housing is the support on these. It acts as the trans support as well as the engine support. I'm wondering if this set up would work for me. The '53 is not together, but if I could get something like this to work, I might start working to put it together.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:52 AM
reamer
Postmaster
Not sure, The T-98 I have was from certian years, where there is a Rear mounting bracket that lines up with the crossmember. There is no front mount-to-fraame. Just bolts to the flathead.
I understand the T-98 that has the rear end just "floats" is the more mass-porduced T-98.
Guess you'll have to hunt for T-98 with a REAR mount bracket.
Reamer

Old 01-04-2006, 08:12 AM
FOWL1
Senior User
I was wondering if the T-5 set up would work in place of the T-98. I also have a 223 Straight 6 in the '55. I do have the flat head 8 for the '53. I thought I saw a thread somewhere else about the T-5 swap and I thought it said it was almost a bolt in, but I can't find it. I did change the rear from the original banjo type to a '68 Dana 60. I got a little more speed out of it, but with a T-5, I would be able to cruise the highway and still have the original look. I have restored it to original, but would like to upgrade the drive line to avoid holding up traffic.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:20 AM
ron_29_1973
Senior User
ron_29_1973 is starting off with a positive reputation.
hey reamer

what is the t 98 out of and what year i have a 52 f 6

Old 01-12-2006, 06:04 AM
FOWL1
Senior User
The T-98's are out of a '53 F-250 Flat head V-8 and a '55 F-250 Straight 6 223. They are interchangable. In fact, I was having a problem with the '55 when I would be driving down the road and shift from 3rd to 4th and the thing would lock up. It was actually pretty scary. Originally, I thought it was the rear so I change it out with the one from the '53. It had been changed out to a Dana 60. After this, I was entering a ramp to merge onto a highway and went to 4th and the rear wheels just up and she started going sideways. I held on to her and after I cleaned my pants, I ended up Backing it off of the ramp amd driving home, about 2-3 mile using 2nd and 3rd. Made some people following me mad, but hey they don't own the road. Anyway, I swapped the '55 T-98 out with the '53 T-98 and now I'm finding the syncronizers for 3rd are off. If you double clutch it, it works OK. I plan on rebuilding at least one of the 2 trannys, but probably both. The '55 ended up with a worn shaft and it was shifting in the bushings and locking itself up. These are the ones that bolt to the bell housing which is supported by the cross member. That is the only support. It also has the band break.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:19 AM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 51ford fan
The overdrive gearing .73 (I believe) was a concern for me also. But reading all the information I could find on the subject left me more confused as everyone had a differend opinion. I was afraid the 3.78 first gear ratio would be too steep, but then again with the 4.40 stroke of the 6 made me wonder. I live in the Seattle area so there is a lot of hills here and I wanted to be sure I could climb them with no problem. I decided to install the trans and rearend as is and give it a try, then change the rearend ratio if need be. On my first time out with it yesterday, it was just wonderful having that fully syncro 5 speed in there. It climbed the hill buy my house just great with the old trans I would have had to use 2nd gear for about 1/4 mile up the hill as I would loose to much forward momentum upon shifting. The S10 was able to handle it easly taking off, and in second gear. I was only able to get up enough speed to use 5th gear for about 1/4 mile at around 45-50 but that 226 didn't bog. I can't at this time give you an RPM reading at a certain speed as the 89 trans has the electronic spedo hookup and I need to purchase an electronic speedometer as soon as Mama will let me (LOL). I Like the features of those TPI-TECH gauges from Its-a-Snap Wire and Cable that are advertised in the Classic Truck Magazine. As for my rear tires Im running 225-75-R15 off an SUV right now I may drop back to 215 next time I purchase tires.
I forgot to mention I have removed 1/2 of the spring leafs front and rear, installed the plastic strips between them and it dropped the truck quite a bit. The running boards are 10" off the ground and the truck rides a whole lot better. If anyone wants me to e-mail you the pictures I have taken so far of the trans install send me your e-mail address.

Rod
I have the TPI (formerly Daytona) gauges in my truck. http://www.tpigauges.com/products.htm The speedometer is especially great! Really easy to calibrate all you need is a measured mile where you can stop at the beginning and end marker, a service road parallel to an expressway will do. Push the calibration button, drive at any speed to the end, stop, push the button again and the speedometer and odometer are exactly calibrated. Change wheel/tire or rear gear ratio? No problem, just recalibrate and you're good to go!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T5 Tranny Conversion for 1950 Pickup

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.