6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Which Air Filter for the 6.0?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Pitchinfool
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Air Filter for the 6.0?

Help! I am confused! I have been trying to talk myself in to replacing my air filter with and aftermarket type. I talk to alot of people though that say to stick with the stock for the 6.0. If I change to an aftermarket, are there some that are better for the 6.0? If I stick with stock, is it best to get another Donaldson or will the other "stock" filters work as well?

Old 10-26-2005, 02:42 PM
OMCUSNR
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pitchinfool
Help! I am confused! I have been trying to talk myself in to replacing my air filter with and aftermarket type. I talk to alot of people though that say to stick with the stock for the 6.0. If I change to an aftermarket, are there some that are better for the 6.0? If I stick with stock, is it best to get another Donaldson or will the other "stock" filters work as well?
How well do you want to take care of your truck? The best balance of performance / PROTECTION / price is the OEM filter. Check with the sponser here. They can probably get you WIX filters very reasonably.

I personally wouldn't put an aftermarket on my truck. I can't make it pay for itself short of 180,000miles or 5 years.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:43 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you MUST go aftermarket, go with an AFE Pro-Guard 7 stage I or II system. The filtration is nearly equal to stock- certainly the best on the aftermarket in comparison to the Donaldson.

If you do stay with stock, I would stay with the Donaldson. They aren't nearly as hard to change as some people like to make it sound, and the capacity and filtration is pretty incredible.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Pitchinfool
Senior User
I think I will stick with stock. That being said, Are the Wix filters the same as Donaldson?

Old 10-26-2005, 04:03 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
I would assume close...but I'm sure someone else can provide more info on that.

The air filter one of the few things on my truck I am Jeff-ish about (**** retentive- Just kidding, Beachbum) and I have always stuck with the Donaldsons.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
"Jeff-ish"

A new term for FTE Members/Users!

Old 10-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Pitchinfool
Senior User
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4

The air filter one of the few things on my truck I am Jeff-ish about (**** retentive- Just kidding, Beachbum) and I have always stuck with the Donaldsons.
Where do you buy Donaldson? Is it the same as Wix?

Old 10-27-2005, 12:06 AM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Pitchinfool
Where do you buy Donaldson? Is it the same as Wix?
I just get the Donaldsons at work. I'm not sure where the best supplier is, to be honest.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:06 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4

Very funny!!!!!!

The blue donnalson's (stock filter) is a synthetic material and is not susepital to moisture as cellulose (paper fiber) is. The white donnalson filters available and others that may or nmay not say Powercore on them are celluose (paper fiber) are good, but not as durable as the blue synthetic material used in the "stock" filter.

As far as the WIX brand, I am sure they are good, but I will stick with the synthetic (blue) Motorcraft and/or Donnalson filter as dirt (silica) is harful to the injectors, turbo and oil.

Due to my "jeff-ish" nature, I have 59,000 trouble-free miles on my 2003 Excursion (only reflashes done to date)!!!! I have no problems in people moding their truck, but from experience, money spent on coolant filters and Bilstien shocks is better than aftermarket intakes and filters which can be proven do not filter any better than stock and do not give true usable HP in the RPM rnge most of drive in. Most aftermarket exhausts offer benefits when operating at or around 3,000 RPM's... which my truck neer sees except for a second or two during WOT.

Your friend,

Jeff-ish...

Old 10-27-2005, 08:05 AM
thelogster
Junior User
I know a Donaldson engineer and the previous post is correct. The blue media can only be used for the stock Ford/motorcraft filter. the white media is not as efficicent (stops a little less) and has a lower capacity (won't hold as much) as the stock filter. Best solution is to keep the stock filters and only replace when the filter minder says to. You will get great life as the stock filter holds over 3 pounds of crap -- that it keeps from getting into the engine.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by Kepler4
"Jeff-ish"

A new term for FTE Members/Users!
I guess that the term "Jeff-ish" may mean the following... ad defined in the new Webster's dictionary...

"To offer help and advise to ones best ability. Not to have an agenda and wish to give opinions that will be beneficial, helpful, cost effective and in the best interest of all wishing to learn from the trucks and experience while surfing the FTE website. While wishing Ford did some things better, it also means that For should not have to pay for problems not in their control or problems that develop when the motor is pushed past reasonable design levels."

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 10-31-2005, 06:35 AM
jmhinkle
New User
After reading this post, I had a few question:

1. Are the stock filters blue in some trucks? My '05 was white and reminded me of a marshmellow in looks and feel. Very strange filter. I had never seen one like it before.

2. Did your guys stock filters fit right? Mine was not sealing correctly on either side of the filter so at 4 days old after fighting with it for 3 days to fit right, I pulled it all and replaced it with the Airaid Intake.

The Airaid is a much more impressive system to me. I don't care how good the stock filter might be, but when the housings won't fit together right and I have gaps on the back side of the filter, quality of filtration is pointless. I like the Airaid build using the normal 4 layers of K&N gauze then adding one more layer of their own synthetic material to stop the particles the K&N missing. It must work because my first oil analysis at 7500 miles was awesome and I live in the desert where blowing sandstorms happen hourly

Old 10-31-2005, 09:04 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by jmhinkle
After reading this post, I had a few question:

1. Are the stock filters blue in some trucks? My '05 was white and reminded me of a marshmellow in looks and feel. Very strange filter. I had never seen one like it before.

2. Did your guys stock filters fit right? Mine was not sealing correctly on either side of the filter so at 4 days old after fighting with it for 3 days to fit right, I pulled it all and replaced it with the Airaid Intake.

The Airaid is a much more impressive system to me. I don't care how good the stock filter might be, but when the housings won't fit together right and I have gaps on the back side of the filter, quality of filtration is pointless. I like the Airaid build using the normal 4 layers of K&N gauze then adding one more layer of their own synthetic material to stop the particles the K&N missing. It must work because my first oil analysis at 7500 miles was awesome and I live in the desert where blowing sandstorms happen hourly
What you experienced with the stock system is normal. Even though the housing looks mis-aligned... it is not. Below ias the broadcast message from Ford.

6.0 Air Cleaner Housing Appears Warped/Misaligned:
The appearance of a misaligned sealing surface between the air cleaner and mass air flow sensor is due to the design of the air induction system and the positioning of the clamps. The air cleaner should be sealed providing the gap is not greater than 16mm (5/8"). If the gap is greater than these measurments, attempt to reseat the air cleaner to the mass air flow sensor. If the gap is still too wide, replace the air filter element only.
Broadcast Message 0925, 1581, 3388

Glad tohear that your set-up is working for you... that is all that matters... just make sure you keep it clean & oiled for maximum protection.

Jeff

Old 10-31-2005, 12:15 PM
eharman
Senior User
I have tried several after market filters and for overall protection and
performance, the oem Donaldson can't be beat. OEM for me "until
death do we part". Nothing but the best for my BEAST!

Old 10-31-2005, 12:21 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
I guess that the term "Jeff-ish" may mean the following... ad defined in the new Webster's dictionary...

"To offer help and advise to ones best ability. Not to have an agenda and wish to give opinions that will be beneficial, helpful, cost effective and in the best interest of all wishing to learn from the trucks and experience while surfing the FTE website. While wishing Ford did some things better, it also means that For should not have to pay for problems not in their control or problems that develop when the motor is pushed past reasonable design levels."

Thanks,

Jeff

I think you are a figment of your own imaginekanation...

Quick Reply: Which Air Filter for the 6.0?