General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.
View Poll Results: Do You Give Your Boss a Christmas Present Every Year?
Always. (It is a symbol of my appreciation for a good boss, good job, and good company.)
13.64%
Always. (I figure the brownie points couldn’t hurt.)
4.55%
Almost Always. (It is just a tradition here, and I don’t question it.)
2.27%
Sometimes. (If they did right by me for the year.)
6.82%
It Depends. (If I like the boss or not.)
9.09%
It Depends. (If I have the money, then I do get them a gift.)
2.27%
Never. (I believe it is just a way to kiss up to management and it is not appropriate.)
63.64%
Never. (I just don’t celebrate Christmas.)
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Do You/Should You Give Your Boss a Christmas Present?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 04:12 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do You/Should You Give Your Boss a Christmas Present?

Should employees give their bosses Christmas gifts? Is that considered brown-nosing? Is it a social taboo? Is it just a way to show your appreciation to your boss for having a job? Isn’t doing your job, and doing it well, thanks enough? Do bosses really expect the people below them to provide a present every year?(That question is for managers and people that have subordinates reporting to them.) Is this practice limited to small businesses? If you’re struggling from paycheck to paycheck because of a low paying job do you still get the boss a present? Are you guilted into contributing towards a present for the boss every year?

So here is my question: Do you give your boss a Christmas present?
I will reveal my feelings on this with discussion later.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:19 PM
duc_grrl
Senior User
Absolutely not.

As a former manager, I always tried to do a little something for my employees at Christmas, like gift certificates for a coffee shop or whatever I could afford based on the number of staff. Prior to my own management experience, I worked in many places where the manager gave the employees something. At most employers, the gifts come out of the manager's pocket, so don't expect much. I have never heard of employees giving the manager a gift, very bad manners I would think.

Just my .02

Old 12-13-2005, 04:21 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In my line of work (toolmaker) exchanging gifts with anyone is very rare. What I do is cook one of my gourmet meals (something that will work in a crock-pot) and share it with my department, including the boss. This year will be Shrimp Creole. Or I might bake something and share it. I think where I work, a specific gift for the boss would be considered brown-nosing!

Old 12-13-2005, 04:22 PM
DonsFx4
Elder User
I'm a manager, and I really, REALLY, do not want employees giving me gifts!!

It's a JOB...not family, friends, or anything else. As you said, if they are doing their jobs well, that's all that is needed. I treat them with dignity and respect and expect the same in return, but giving gifts up the chain is not my way of doing things.

On the other hand, I try to get something for the guys around the holidays, like gift certificates or such, to show appreciation for a good year.

Sounds like you got a real winner for a boss...good luck!

Last edited by DonsFx4; 12-13-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:25 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well my dad is my boss, and i will eventually take over the family business. so yes, christmas morning i go wake him up and we exchange gifts

Old 12-13-2005, 05:02 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You left out an option in your poll - "No, company policy doesn't allow it".

Old 12-13-2005, 05:18 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
strokin_it7.3....there's always gotta be a wise guy in every crowd. But that was funny.

Heya alchymist, I had that in there, but took it out. I wasn't sure if that would be a real option or not. I've worked for gigantic corporations and tiny businesses and never saw it printed in the employee handbook, so figured it might not really be something companies publish.?...But that is something good to bring up in discussion if any of you actually have it printed in the employee handbook.

Also, you may choose more than one option for the voting poll. I left it open, since the 8 options may not fit everyone.

Old 12-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cigarxtc
Should employees give their bosses Christmas gifts? Is that considered brown-nosing? Is it a social taboo? Is it just a way to show your appreciation to your boss for having a job? Isn’t doing your job, and doing it well, thanks enough? Do bosses really expect the people below them to provide a present every year?(That question is for managers and people that have subordinates reporting to them.) Is this practice limited to small businesses? If you’re struggling from paycheck to paycheck because of a low paying job do you still get the boss a present? Are you guilted into contributing towards a present for the boss every year?

So here is my question: Do you give your boss a Christmas present?
I will reveal my feelings on this with discussion later.
Better question Ron, do you/should you get your chapter leader something for Christmas???

Old 12-13-2005, 06:22 PM
A_G
Posting Guru
Yea we will get you a giant sized bandade. and a 911 card

Maybe a tile scraper..LOL

Old 12-13-2005, 06:26 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My immediate stupervisor just retired!!!!!!!!! ("Free at last. Free at last. . . .")

Anyway - - - for the last 13 years, one of the guys in the shop would buy a small tube of Preparation H and put it on the stupervisor's desk at Christmas.

He NEVER did 'get' the gesture. He truly didn't.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:16 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my boss is my dad, si I do.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:41 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is an option missing - if there is a company christmas party where names are picked out of a hat and you draw their name, it's cool. I have worked for people where we did this, both with real and "GAG" gifts.

If you know the boss from outside the company, again it is a special circumstance.

To do so out of a clear blue sky might raise questions. If it was a valuable gift - it could look bad. A 29 cent something from a dime store is another matter entirely, especially if it is intended to decorate the office for the holidays.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Dungeon_Master
Posting Guru
I work in a small shop and my boss said he doesn't want anything of us for christmas. Meaning me I an only non relitive or long time friend. I have been with him for 4+ years and it was a standard before I started. Of course him giving a Christmas bonus was also and haven't seen one since my first year. So I would say no gift for him!

Old 12-13-2005, 10:10 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Greywolf
There is an option missing - if there is a company christmas party where names are picked out of a hat and you draw their name, it's cool. I have worked for people where we did this, both with real and "GAG" gifts.

If you know the boss from outside the company, again it is a special circumstance.

To do so out of a clear blue sky might raise questions. If it was a valuable gift - it could look bad. A 29 cent something from a dime store is another matter entirely, especially if it is intended to decorate the office for the holidays.
Heya Greywolf, that would be a totally different concept. We did something similar to that last year. It was ok. That is when the group agrees to do what is called a white elephant gift exchange.

What I'm referring to is not a gift exchange, it is having employees give $$$ to get the bosses gifts/giftcards.

Someone, not a manager, she is more of a supervisor, was trying to put a guilt trip on everybody else in the department to pool money together(specific amounts at that) to get the three managers gift cards. Her statement was to the effect of we wouldn't have these jobs if it wasn't for the managers. Then all those that didn't contribute monies were sent a group email so that we could see who's names were on the distro list, so it was obvious who did not contribute for whatever reason. Another attempt by her to guilt everyone into putting monies towards what I deem an improper gift.

In the military you are not to give your supervisor or CO gifts. When I worked for the 2nd largest telecom company we were not supposed to do that. When I worked for smaller businesses it was never brought up.

Now, I do appreciate having a job and the company I work for is much better than some others I've worked for. And I really don't have any problems with my manager. I just don't agree with giving gifts to bosses just for the sake of saying 'thanks for giving me a job'. The "thanks" would be doing my job well and improving the company bottom line, which improves the profits, which improves the pay for management. In my opinion, giving presents to your bosses is brown nosing and improper in a professional business environment.

Now on the other hand if you hang out with your boss outside of work or you want to provide a gift to them on your own, that's o.k.

My beef is one person trying to guilt a whole department to donate money(a specific minimum amount mind you) to give our bosses gift cards. Gimme a break.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:19 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Traxxis
Better question Ron, do you/should you get your chapter leader something for Christmas???

Don't worry, Stan, we're starting a collection for you. It's gonna go towards a complete safety kit, including bandages, a gallon of hydrogen peroxide, duct tape, safety goggles, and maybe a tree cutting saw with a safety blade on it. :P

Quick Reply: Do You/Should You Give Your Boss a Christmas Present?