Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Super Duty - V10 - Ping/Spark Knock

Old 12-12-2005, 09:33 AM
tjv01excursion
New User
tjv01excursion is starting off with a positive reputation.
2003 Super Duty - V10 - Ping/Spark Knock

I have a 2003 Super Duty that has spark knock. I have taken it to 3 different dealerships. Number 1 couldn't hear it. I won't take it back there. Number 2 said it was dirty fuel. They change the fuel filter and flushed the injectors and scanned with computer (no codes). Still knocks. Number 3 scanned again, no codes. Checked spark plugs. He said they were white and gapped wrong, burning lean. Changed spark plugs. Swapped Mass air flow from a truck on the lot and thought it seemed to go away. He said these were very expensive and to see if I could find one at a salvage yard. I asked him about the EGR valve and Knock sensor. He said the heavy duties didn't have EGR valves or the Knock sensors. I got home and checked my 2001 excursion's MAFS. They looked the same so I swapped them. Still knocks. Excursion runs perfect.

Before I started the dealer work I ran some 93 fuel and it seemed to help some. This was to verify it was a spark knock and not some other problem. One mechanic said it was probably carbon build up and to suck some transmission fluid thru a vacuum line. I did this. It still knocks.

Sorry so wordy. Just wanted everyone to know what I have tried. About ready to move it.

Thanks.....

Old 12-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Krewat
Admin Newbie
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Unless I'm completely wrong, which has happened before, they DO have knock sensors.

Some people a year or more back had the same problem, and resetting the computer would fix it. Did you reset yet? Disconnect battery for a few hours.

IF that's not it, come back and post, and all of us will try to help you out.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:02 AM
tjv01excursion
New User
Yes I did the battery unhook to reset the computer. But that was before the work was done. I have it unhooked now while I am at work. Do you know how long it takes to reset?

Old 12-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Krewat
Admin Newbie
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Should only take a few minutes, but I leave it off for a few hours.

Old 12-12-2005, 01:10 PM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
PurerockRacing is starting off with a positive reputation.
hmmmmmm I would be very interested in knowing the remedy as well. Mine only pings at about 3000 rpm and above under load. Almost like a lean condition at higher rpms. I didn't have a chance to replace my fuel filter over the week, so I will do it asap, but I am not confident that is the problem. Somewhere I read the anti-knock sensor is under the intake manifold. I have not looked into that yet. My truck does not show any error codes either. It pinged from the day I bought it, and still pings running 91 octane. Only 48k miles.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:29 AM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
ok, I have a Haynes Repair book for the Ford Super Duties... looking thru the section on how to check/replace the knock sensor, and it does not mention anything about the knock sensor on the V10, only mentions the 5.4L. Says the knock sensor is located under the intake manifold. Is this true for the V10 as well? Has anyone ever replaced their knock sensor? The book also says, that if the knock sensor is malfunctioning, it will throw a code. I have no codes at all, so how do I know if the sensor is bad or not? Seems like a major deal to replace one of these things...

Old 12-15-2005, 10:34 AM
tjv01excursion
New User
There is a knock sensor for the V10. I talk to the dealer. They also said no code, no problem. I asked about replacing anyway just to be sure. $65 part. $350 installed. Kinda steep for a guess. They said the intake has to be removed to replace the sensor. Good design, huh.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:39 AM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
nice. I will try to rule out every other possibility before replacing the knock sensor. Thing should not ping like this. I see other guys on the roads with V10s towing huge 36ft. 5th wheel trailers going 55-60 mph uphill with no problem. Mine won't even come close. 2nd gear, 35mph, detonating like heck, towing 4500lbs or less

Old 12-15-2005, 12:16 PM
Krewat
Admin Newbie
Originally Posted by tjv01excursion
Good design, huh.
It's basically the best place to put the knock sensor, dead center under the intake, equi-distant to all cylinders. That way, it can "listen" better for a ping.

I've seen knock sensors in other places, like the side of the block, but that's only good for listening to that bank of cylinders, the other side would have to REALLY ping/knock for the knock sensor to notice it.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:27 AM
jrzoffroad
Senior User
jrzoffroad is starting off with a positive reputation.
Regarding the spark knock, try a higher octane fuel before swapping parts. Octane rating of gasoline is the fuel's ability to resist predetonation or spark knock. At some places that sell cheap gasoline ( that we all like) the actual octane rating of the fuel is lower than what is posted. Things that affect spark knock are high cylinder temps, advanced timing, low octane fuel and heavy load hill type situations. The only one you can really control is fuel octane.

Old 12-18-2005, 07:39 PM
V10KLZZ71S
Posting Guru
V10KLZZ71S is starting off with a positive reputation.
I,m thinking inferior gas.It would throw a code if anything is wrong other than fuel. I fit is bad gas, try octane booster to see if it stops.Transmission fluid in a vaccum hose will kill your 02 sensors.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:31 AM
tjv01excursion
New User
I have tried higher octane fuel and it did help some. I believe there has to be a solution to this other than fuel. Why wouldn't my 2001 Excursion have the same problem? It runs the same fuel. I think I can replace the knock sensor without removing the intake. (maybe wishful thinking, but I am going to try). I am also going to replace the fuel filter again. Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-19-2005, 08:23 AM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
I replaced my fuel filter and PCV valve Friday nite. Still pings even without a load, running 91 octane, and original plugs. I had 4 people in the truck Saturday going to Universal Studios into a head wind on the freeway, I could hear it pinging. I hooked up my SC 1715 programmer, and the only code it shows is P1000. This code is not listed in any of the manuals I have, but in the SC 1715 book for reading DTCs, is says P1000 means "further testing needed". What does that mean? I think I am going to uninstall the SC program and go back to stock and take it to Ford and have them re-flash the computer and see what happens. Like I said before, I noticed it pinged the day I bought it (w/full tank of 87 and only 45k miles). Something ain't right. Everything I've read in the manuals I have say there should be a code indicated if a sensor was failing.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:12 PM
captchas
captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.
rich
i've gone back and done a bit of research. seems you may have a tuner in it? if so return it to stock and see what happens and let us know. just remember the tuner is vin locked after it is used. i'm taking a guess that if it's the tuner it has to much advance programed in to over 3k rpm. do the return and see if it's gone.
i have personally found that the best tuner out right now for a gas ford is the excalibrater 2 from sct as the dealer can custom program to your motors needs and wants on the trans shifting.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:15 PM
captchas
captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.
p1000

Originally Posted by PurerockRacing
I replaced my fuel filter and PCV valve Friday nite. Still pings even without a load, running 91 octane, and original plugs. I had 4 people in the truck Saturday going to Universal Studios into a head wind on the freeway, I could hear it pinging. I hooked up my SC 1715 programmer, and the only code it shows is P1000. This code is not listed in any of the manuals I have, but in the SC 1715 book for reading DTCs, is says P1000 means "further testing needed". What does that mean? I think I am going to uninstall the SC program and go back to stock and take it to Ford and have them re-flash the computer and see what happens. Like I said before, I noticed it pinged the day I bought it (w/full tank of 87 and only 45k miles). Something ain't right. Everything I've read in the manuals I have say there should be a code indicated if a sensor was failing.
p1000 your readiness code is not set yet. you need to do 3 or 4 drive cycles to complete it. driveing normal and afew w.o.t 's included

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Super Duty - V10 - Ping/Spark Knock

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.