Modular V10 (6.8l)  

2003 Super Duty - V10 - Ping/Spark Knock

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:58 PM
tjv01excursion
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced the thermostat. No change. Still Knocks. I have a friend that just bought a 2000 Super Duty - V10. We are considering putting his PCM in my truck to see if it makes a difference. He has a friend that works at a Ford dealership that he would help us swap them. He says as long as both trucks have the small non-chip keys it should work ok.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:25 PM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
I'd sure be interested in knowing if that works out... Here's alittle note for you all. 2 different mechanics have told me recently, that there is some CARB rule (not sure if it's Caliornia only or not), that if something malfunctions in the emissions system (including the PCM), it is to be corrected under warranty. It's some type of 8 year/80k mileage thingie I think. I never heard of it before but for what it's worth. Both mechanics told me to take my truck to Ford and have them check it out. If it turns out to be the PCM or something emissions related, they HAVE to fix it under warranty. Now on another note, I posted earlier about my PCV hose having oil dripping from it and from the intake housing behind the TB. This same scenario caused my 3.8L Mustang to ping bigtime from brand new. I have disconnected both of the hoses from the valve covers, sealed them both off at the intake on both sides. Valve covers are vented open right now. I ran my truck on the highway on a slight up hill at 75mph, and could not notice any ping. This however was not towing anything. Next test will be towing my motorcycle trailer which is about 3000 lbs. which caused big time ping last time I towed it. I will let you know what the results are. With the PCV system disconnected, right now there should not be any un-monitored air into the intake to causing a lean condition, ping, etc. All other hoses connected to the intake etc. are 100% perfect. If this doesn't fix the problem, I tend to lean towards the PCM as the cause of all this pain we are having.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:22 PM
DJR 17
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
purerock,

what are you using as a vent on the valve covers? I've seen some little k&n looking filters on them before, but wasn't sure about this mod.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:18 AM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
I had some extra chrome Moroso breathers laying around from my drag racing days... Got a grommet package at AutoZone and just stuck the right grommet in to fit the breather. On the driverside, I made a small rubber grommet out of a pc. of hose (same size as the original hose which went to the intake tube. It's only a temp. installation until I figure out where/why my engine is pinging.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:58 AM
AgoosSS
New User
I have been watching this thread closely as I also have a severe pinging problem with my stock 1999 F-250 V-10 with 70,000 miles. It became so bad I could no longer safely tow my fifth wheel trailer which weighs about 11,000lbs. It has been in three shops for over six months and no one can find the problem. There is no check engine light and no stored codes to indicate any problems. In the last 6 months It has had new fuel filter (which was replaced every 18 months since new), 2 new mass air flow sensors, 2 new IAC valves, new spark plugs, and 2 BG top end/fuel injection sevices. Each shop has done extensive fuel pressure and volume tests which all checked out ok along with various other tests they thought relevent. We are coming into spring in Ca. and will be wanting to tow the trailer soon and unfortunately may be looking into a new truck. I hate to get rid of what I have becuse it it otherwise in excellent condition but no one can seem to find the problem.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:11 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by AgoosSS
I have been watching this thread closely as I also have a severe pinging problem with my stock 1999 F-250 V-10 with 70,000 miles. It became so bad I could no longer safely tow my fifth wheel trailer which weighs about 11,000lbs. It has been in three shops for over six months and no one can find the problem. There is no check engine light and no stored codes to indicate any problems. In the last 6 months It has had new fuel filter (which was replaced every 18 months since new), 2 new mass air flow sensors, 2 new IAC valves, new spark plugs, and 2 BG top end/fuel injection sevices. Each shop has done extensive fuel pressure and volume tests which all checked out ok along with various other tests they thought relevent. We are coming into spring in Ca. and will be wanting to tow the trailer soon and unfortunately may be looking into a new truck. I hate to get rid of what I have becuse it it otherwise in excellent condition but no one can seem to find the problem.
Are you sure it's a "ping" and not a heat-shield/dust-cover vibration?

Did you put 93 octane in it and have it go away or at least reduce it?

Old 03-11-2006, 12:23 PM
AgoosSS
New User
Definitely a PING. I was running only major brand fuel and yes did try the high octane which in my neck of the woods is only 91 octane and it may have reduced it a little. It pings so bad it is really hard to tell if there is much difference. Also what I didn't mention above was that when this problem began I also have a definite loss of power especially when climbing a grade.
Thanks.

Old 03-11-2006, 01:33 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Someone with some brains (hard to find a mechanic with any) and a real-time scanner should be able to figure out what the heck is going on.

Any oil in the PCV system?

Old 03-11-2006, 01:51 PM
AgoosSS
New User
I don't know if there is any oil in the PCV system. What would that do and what would cause that? I would think they would have checked that by now if it is a common problem. The current mechanic seems to be very knowlegable (one of the most knowlegable that I have ever talked to) and is working hard trying to find what is wrong. It seems from what I recall he mentioned using a real time scanner. I'm pretty good at basic maintenance and shade tree work but this has been over my head. I have been relaying what seems like valuable information that I find on the net to the mechanic in attempts to help him.
Thanks.

Old 03-11-2006, 05:33 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Just because some else has the same pinging and a lot of oil in the PCV. And disconnecting it seems to kill the pinging.

Old 04-08-2006, 11:43 PM
RobertF250
New User
Have a 2001 F250 4X4 V8. Thanks to all of the members postings I was able to get rid of my pinging/knocking or what I thought was pinging. I tried the higher octane gas, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the carb, and and it still pinged. Finally I checked the heat shields. One end of a heat shield near oil filter had come loose. Not sure if it was originally clamped or welded. Went to the local auto parts store and bought a exhaust pipe clamp for $2.49 and reattached the heat shield. I had all of the typical signs of engine knocking, it would rattle while under load and between 1400-2000 RPM. Higher octane gas had even made a very slight improvement. But I could not get rid of the knocking. So check the heat shield, I didn't even need to jack the truck to make the repair.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:53 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Wow... thanks Robert, that's a nice piece of info!

And it's a 5.4, eh?

Old 04-13-2006, 10:26 PM
shadyjack
New User
I had the same problem with my 5.4 expy. The fix was to replace the DPFE sensor. Not sure if the V10 has this part but I am assuming its EGR system is similar to the 5.4. 45 bucks at Autozone.

Old 04-14-2006, 12:32 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow real-time scanner is a MUST

Originally Posted by krewat
Someone with some brains (hard to find a mechanic with any) and a real-time scanner should be able to figure out what the heck is going on.
I agree with krewat on this one. With a real-time scanner and driving the SD V10 in "REAL LIFE DRIVING"...maybe with the loaded motorcycle...should be able to record the firing order and condition of each cylinder. If there is a PING...it will be recorded. If nothing is recorded...then either there is NO ping...or the PCM is shot! That is it...

Hope this helps...but the real-time scanner is a MUST here. Running the V10 in the shop is just not sufficient.

biz

Old 05-01-2008, 06:22 AM
projim64
New User
engine knock

I am having the same problem. I just had a head replaced due to one of the plugs leaving the engine by itself and requireing a new head. It has been pinging ever since I got it back . My mechanic found a vacume leak at the intake and had to replace the upper plenum . That did not fix it and it shows no codes but does show that the base timing is at 16 degrees and should be at 10 and also while driving goes over 40 degrees. I took it back to the dealer and they said it was the mas air flow sensor. the replaced it at $436.00 and it is still the same. The truck has never had a spark knock before they removed the head . Anyone have any ideas. My mechanic seems to think that they may have gotten the cam timing off when they put it back together.Any other thoughts on why the base timing would be so far off ? It is 2002 F350 automatic with 136,000 miles and also had the other head replaced at 40,000 miles due to a plug leaving the head. Thanks for any help, Jim.

Quick Reply: 2003 Super Duty - V10 - Ping/Spark Knock