1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

california registrations

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 10:06 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
What do you do if you have a '65 Mustang, and the stock 289 is totally shot (throws a rod or whatever). Do you have to find a 65 or older 289 to install? or upgrade it to the emissions level of the replacement?

Is there any mention of how they would treat otherwise compliant older engines (pre-60's) that have had speed equipment added that would clearly increase emissions (hot cam, dual quads, etc), even though they weren't subject to a limit?

If I had a car that originally came with (say) a SBC, I'd be busy grinding all casting numbers and serial #'s off the block...

Seems like a dark day for Darksiders...

Old 12-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Moderator's Note --

I've let this thread run as I think it contains some good opinions and information on issues related to California's motor vehicle laws. I think that discussion fits our charter and is of interest to a number of folks on the forum. The illegal alien discussion, on the other hand, is really not appropriate for this forum. Let's let the illegal alien discussion die here or I'll have to lock the thread - which I really don't want to do. If you wish to dicusss the illegal alien issue further, there is a non-automotive forum here at FTE in which that discussion would fit.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:52 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Howdy,

I'm not sure if I got the real point but it appears that once you get the vehicle INITIALLY REGISTERED, you can do what ever you want with it as long as it will not be required to "tested" again.(And if it is, do they actually test to the requirements of 1967 etc?)

I am lucky. I was born and grew up in So-Cal. I escaped in the 70's when no one was looking..... I'm in Washington now but the insanely liberal Wa House/Senate recently passed bills to mirror Ca emission requirments. Right now I don't know what that means. It could be that in Wa, we'll have exactly the same wacko environmentalist exhaust emission requirments as Ca. Currently vehicles that are more than 30 years old are not tested. [AND I'm in an area where emission testing is not required AT ALL!] Of course my 55 meets that requirement.....and since it's already licensed they will never know what it under the hood...

("They'll open the hood when they pry it from my cold dead hands!!")

Cheers,

Rick

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
What do you do if you have a '65 Mustang, and the stock 289 is totally shot (throws a rod or whatever). Do you have to find a 65 or older 289 to install? or upgrade it to the emissions level of the replacement?

Is there any mention of how they would treat otherwise compliant older engines (pre-60's) that have had speed equipment added that would clearly increase emissions (hot cam, dual quads, etc), even though they weren't subject to a limit?

If I had a car that originally came with (say) a SBC, I'd be busy grinding all casting numbers and serial #'s off the block...

Seems like a dark day for Darksiders...

Old 12-11-2005, 02:34 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, the thirty year rolling exemption was repealed - the law now reads that vehicles 1975 model year and older are exempt from the annual DMV smog test. 1976 vehicles are now and will forever be required to pass that test (unless the laws change again).

Second, older vehicles are exempt from the annual test, but not exempt from the smog requirements. You are not apt to get caught, but if you are you can be required to pass a BAR inspection. (BAR is Bureau of Automotive Repair - the smog test guys.)

Third, one big gray area is the test/inspection requirements for the sale of a vehicle. Currently DMV does not require this test/inspection on 1975 and older vehicles, but the law is vague on this. There is nothing that stops the DMV or BAR from changing their policy and requiring a test.

Forth, kit cars and those "significantly" altered vehicles can be assigned a year model designation as determined by the DMV and BAR. This action would be triggered when a new title needed to be issued. (Not a change to an existing title.) This is another grey area - if you apply for a lost title and a ownership change as many of us need to for our projects the new law could be applied to you.

The way it was explained to me one time is that they look at three areas - the engine, the frame, and the chassis. If one of the three is original with traceable factory identification numbers intact they will accept that as proof of the year/model.

One of the charges against Boyd C was that he had bought a car out-of-state with a good title, then changed the engine and the frame, plus significantly modified the chassis. As I remember the show, he changed a coup into a roadster, replacing most if not all sheetmetal. There was no identifying numbers left on the sheetmetal. He titled the car using the out-of-state title, and that was fraud.

The thing I most object to is the uncertainty - I want to know what I can and can not do before I invest a lot of time and money into something that might cause me a headache down the road.

We are a vulnerable group, unorganized and unlikely to join a political action group. The Green Peace types are just the opposite, and get passionate. If it comes to a political showdown we will likely lose - politicians know who gets out the vote. What we need is an ARA defending our rights, and we do not have that, and are unlikely to support such an organization anyway.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:30 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help, however today I went to the Tree Chop Car show. They had a both for Consumer Affairs law enforcement (guys who control smog issues). It was interesting. I asked the guy all the questions that have been brought up. He told me, not to be concerned. At least in CA, vehicles that are 76 and older are exempt from smog inspection etc. He told me 90% of the cars in the show where illegal to smog standards (exhaust, carbs etc.). Any vehicle of that age can have a different engine, mods etc. DMV will not inspect the vehicle even when sold because it does not require smog. Vehicles after 1976 are a problem. The engines need to adhere to smog regulations or will not pass, including modifications to the computer chip, etc. They have ways to check the computer figuration of your vehicle now. Basically, he told me if you have a 76 or older vehicle, don't worry and loose sleep over the registration process.

Old 12-11-2005, 10:34 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I wish I could believe that! On the other hand, nothing is more common than the legislatures passing resolutions and not funding their implementation.