Illinois Chapter Join Chapter Leader: wpnaes

Teenagers with newer cars...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChurchTurtle
I gotta be careful here, but this is too good to not tell.

I know someone who was given a brand new car upon 16. Wrecked and totaled it. Mom and Dad brought the kid another brand new car. Kid had trouble with drugs and drinking. Lost license for a time....
I know a guy just like that - except it was crotch rockets. Parents got 'em another one within a week. We didn't think he'd live a month after he healed up (broken collar bone, ribs). He did shell the motor on the 2nd one within a yr. We always figured the parents wanted him dead.

You can usually tell the kids that are bought their own new(er) vehicles - they are near stock, well taken care of, and they're driving them to work.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:15 AM
frdrngrlvr
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i turned 16 my dad said i could have the car in the street. a 1976 buick electra, 2 door, fender skirts, white walls, buick rally wheels, and a 455 under the hood. it hadn't ran or moved for that manner in years. it needed tires, exhaust, fuel lines, brakes, master cylinder, water-pump- hoses, belts and on and on. he laughed and said if you want to drive bad enough and i did i'd get a job and fix it and paper-route $ wasn't going to do it. the next week i got a job cooking at a restaurant and quickly fixed up the old buick.it taught me a very good lesson and the value of a buck, i'm so thankful to him for it. now on the the hand when i was making more $ at around 19 or 20 i went out and bought a grand-national and almost killed my now wife and me when i lost control of it.

Old 01-01-2006, 08:45 PM
dgoetz
Junior User
I remember when I went to high school, there were not that many kids with nice new cars handed to them. If parents bought them something, it was an inexpensive car. I drove an Astro van I bought from my parents for $1500. My brother bought an 81 Monte Carlo for $2k. I see kids now that drive brand new expensive cars. I don't really understand what could have changed between now and when I was in high school (I graduated in 2000) that all of a sudden so many young kids can afford expensive cars.

College was worse, I went to school in Peoria, IL at Bradley, and if you saw a nice new car there, it was probably a bradley student. A kid one of my buddies was friends with got a brand new ferrari given to him for graduation. I met one kid in college whose parents gave him a bar for his 21st birthday (yes, they bought him an actual pub, liquor license, the whole bit).

I always remember that these are the same A-holes that don't appreciate a damn thing their whole lives, and end up failing. If you earned your own way, more power to you. You know it, so who cares what other people think.

I have a good friend I work with who inherited $10 million dollars when his dad died, and he refuses to use that as an excuse to drive fancy cars or quit working for a living. He still rents cheap apartments too. I think that is a good example for someone who appreciates the value of money and hard work.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:21 PM
sir alpha
Junior User
who cares what they think it dosent change reality