Sponsored by:

Lifted the X this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 06:39 AM
Industrial_dude
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGRNU
Too late - the Pro Comp kit is sitting in my garage, waiting to be installed. We'll just have to see how it rides. This is the "Donahoe website" so I don't expect to get a lot of encouragement to put ANY other brand of lift on my truck.

As soon as my lift is installed - I'll be sure to post a full review on it's ride characteristics.

The PJs are 38.2" OD. Sounds more like a true 38" tire than a lot of the others out there. Most of the tire size charts I have seen recommend 8" of lift for 38" tires... So it's a good possibility that I'll be pretty darn close with these tires.
youll be good till the leaf springs settle and it drops a little, i would go for a 10" lift to run 38"s IMO. its going to rubb the back of the fender closest to the door jams when you go up drive ways or off road it. youll have to go with a 12" lift to not have to worry about any trimming or rubbing for a 38" tire on the ex.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Paul Westski
New User
Originally Posted by Jeepincj7
Didn't need to space the bumper at all. I did trim an inch or so off the lower cowl where the tires would rub at slight turn though. That was about it. BTW, you don't "need" the adjustable panhard bar on the 7" kit. The drop bracket centers it perfectly on the 7" kit.

Also didn't need a realignment. The toe-in isn't effected with the lift, and all you need to do is adjust the draglink to center the steering wheel about 3/4 of a turn.

The driveshaft is the one thing I will need to adjust on mine. Mine fell out of the slip yoke during install and I didn't get it lined up correctly so its off balance. Its also a little short for my liking, so I plan on just replacing the shaft with a custom one. I found a guy on Ebay that is going to build me a new custom shaft with all new stuff for $250 shipped to my door. Can't beat that at all.
Which drive shaft front or rear?

My install shop suggested lengthening the front drive shaft 1-1/2" and said the rear drive shaft length was fine.
They centered the steering wheel for me but the truck pulls to the left when braking. They spaced the bumper out 1/2"
I'm going to have it aligned on Monday.
The alignment shop said most of the Super Duties caster and camber is out of specification from the factory and that the larger tires magnify the out of spec caster and camber.

I researched lifts for the past year and Donahoe Racing is the best riding and perfoming lift available.

The Exursion looks and rides SWEET.
I need to try lowering the air pressure in the tires. Right now I'm running 40psi in the front and 45psi in the rear.
I'm going to try 35psi in the front and 40psi in the rear.
What pressur are you running?

I'll post some pix next week.

Old 12-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul Westski
Which drive shaft front or rear?

My install shop suggested lengthening the front drive shaft 1-1/2" and said the rear drive shaft length was fine.
They centered the steering wheel for me but the truck pulls to the left when braking. They spaced the bumper out 1/2"
I'm going to have it aligned on Monday.
The alignment shop said most of the Super Duties caster and camber is out of specification from the factory and that the larger tires magnify the out of spec caster and camber.

I researched lifts for the past year and Donahoe Racing is the best riding and perfoming lift available.

The Exursion looks and rides SWEET.
I need to try lowering the air pressure in the tires. Right now I'm running 40psi in the front and 45psi in the rear.
I'm going to try 35psi in the front and 40psi in the rear.
What pressur are you running?

I'll post some pix next week.
Don't know how it adjusts camber??? The only thing that does that is adjusting the balljoints on a solid axle rig. Sounds like a typical shop trying to earn some more $$$ to me. And, the only way to adjust for caster is to add some degree wedges to the leafs.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:58 AM
PaulwestSki
Cross-Country
Wink My bad he will only adjust camber

Originally Posted by Jeepincj7
Don't know how it adjusts camber??? The only thing that does that is adjusting the balljoints on a solid axle rig. Sounds like a typical shop trying to earn some more $$$ to me. And, the only way to adjust for caster is to add some degree wedges to the leafs.
Thats exactly what the alignment dude said the CAMBER is usually off spec from the factory and he might have to adjust the ball joints.
The Excursion pulls to the left when braking so something needs to be aligned.

Old 12-17-2005, 01:37 PM
IPACA9
Senior User
I was looking to basically go with the same kit for my '01 EX. The truck is a DB Drive, Pioneer, and Myron & Davis demo vehicle for my car audio business. Nothing is a better rolling billboard than a lifted Excursion.

When you get the truck reprogrammed could you post your findings of how it handles and milage.

Old 12-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by KCAutosound
I was looking to basically go with the same kit for my '01 EX. The truck is a DB Drive, Pioneer, and Myron & Davis demo vehicle for my car audio business. Nothing is a better rolling billboard than a lifted Excursion.

When you get the truck reprogrammed could you post your findings of how it handles and milage.
Well, my programmer for some reason doesn;t allow for the 87, towing, and performance levels. It only allows for one level(which requires 91 octane). So, I may have to send it back to Superchips to have it updated. Also, the Superchips doesn't allow for a speedo change for larger tires, so I'm pretty much SOL there unless I get a Tru-speed unit or go back to the dealer to have it reprogrammed.

So, mileage is not 100% accurate, but based on the fact that I am running a tire that is 18% taller than stock, I figure my mileage is off by that amount. So, for every 100 miles I go, I add 18mi to it. My last tank averages 10mpg on the computer. Figure 11.8mpg then. Not bad with mixed hwy/town and a lot of Xmas shopping.

FWIW, I took the programming back to stock for when I drive everyday. So, I will only run the programmer what I am going to tow. And then I will fill up before then with 91 octane.

Old 12-18-2005, 05:23 PM
SuperBlue
Elder User
Man o man that is one good looking X!!!!, did you do all the work yourself or have it installed?

Old 12-18-2005, 05:28 PM
IPACA9
Senior User
your milage sounds cool. That's one of my fears with raising it. But everyone can agree an Excursion looks bad *** raised. For the business it would be a great advertising tool. I'm averaging about 12.5 per gallon now. Pretty much can keep it there with the programmer I guess. I drive this truck alot. Used for demos and also for on-site installations for my customers.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by SuperBlue
Man o man that is one good looking X!!!!, did you do all the work yourself or have it installed?
I do all my own work.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:07 AM
cooper
Junior User
Very sweet ride!

Old 01-13-2006, 06:01 PM
spartan
Senior User
I dunno - a big a** lift and no driveline mods.....

I ended up putting in a double carden with three inches of lift in the rear....

Have you had it up to 80MPH yet - you could be in for a big suprise - maybe even at 70MPH....

Old 01-13-2006, 11:47 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by spartan
I dunno - a big a** lift and no driveline mods.....

I ended up putting in a double carden with three inches of lift in the rear....

Have you had it up to 80MPH yet - you could be in for a big suprise - maybe even at 70MPH....
70mph on the speedo is where I feel the vibe at its worst. That is 80mph+ in reality. I will be installing some shims tomorrow or Sunday to fix this though and will let you know how it works.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:44 AM
ramsmoker
Senior User
Smile lifted X

I know how to cure the vibe. I beat my head against the wall for quit a while and even lowered the transfer case. That just put the vibe at a different speed. Get a cv joint like a superduty has in the front of its rear drive line. Have it installed on your shaft then install the driveline with the slip yoke to the rear and the cv at the front. This jumped out and bit me when I was servicing my superduty. It has 12" lift and no vibration.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:07 PM
spartan
Senior User
I don't need to know, but thanks. I have a $1,000 custom driveshaft with a CV in the front and slip yoke at rear. 0 degrees rear diff to driveshaft. I still get some vibration.

I tried shimming out the ying yang - nothing. Some trucks just weren't meant to be lifted.....

Mine is tolerable now after alot of work, $ and headaches....

Old 01-17-2006, 11:15 PM
ramsmoker
Senior User
Wink drive line

Wow, who got into on the drive line?? It only cost $175.00 to have mine cut last week and turned around with a CV joint. I didn't put my transfercase back to stock either. It remains 2" down from stock. Smooth as my Superduty now.

Quick Reply: Lifted the X this weekend