Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

How big a job is it to replace the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 11:03 PM
sa_rains
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How big a job is it to replace the clutch?

How difficult is it to replace the clutch/pressure plate/slave cylinder/T.O. Bearing in a 85 F250 2wd Supercab with a T19 4 speed? Are there any specialized tools required? Is it always necessary to resurface the flywheel?

The last couple of times I have driven the truck, I have noticed slight clutch slippage in 3rd and 4th gear with no load. It will slip slightly, then pick back up if I let off the accelerator. I don't have much experience with diesel trucks, but my experience with gassers tells me I had better start buying the replacement kit/parts now.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you ever replaced a clutch before? If so then it wont be a big deal.
These transmissions are very heavy though so you may want to find an extra helper or rent a transmission jack. Another way to do it is after the transmission is unbolted from the bellhousing and the mount is removed you can flip the transmission on it's side and slide it back onto the crossmember. That way you don't have to completely remove it from the truck. It's still a bit of a pain to do though.
It's not always mandatory to resurface the flywheel but it's a good idea to do so. If the clutch has been slipping at all you'll probably have some hot spots on it and resurfacing wil prevent clutch chatter and premature wear.
About the only special tool you should need is a pilot shaft to line up the clutch disc as you bolt the pressure plate on. Some new clutch sets, such as Dynapac, come with a shaft tool.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:12 AM
sa_rains
Junior User
I've replaced several clutches before...but never a Hydrolic clutch. I am more concerned about: (1) replacing the slave cylinder and then bleeding the lines and (2) the weight of that transmission than anything else. Any idea how much that T19 weighs?

Old 10-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The slave cylinder is easy to replace but can be a bit of a pain to bleed. It should have a 4mm allen head bleeder screw on it so make sure you have a wrench for that.
I'm not sure what the transmission weighs but if if I had to guess I'd say 150 lbs?

Old 12-09-2005, 07:30 PM
COWBY5
New User
My 11 year old daughter and I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, fly wheel, slave cylinder and also the master cylinder on my 91 F-250 diesel in about three hours.
The slave is very difficult to bleed but ford sells a kit containing a closed unit from the master cylinder to the slave.
The tranny is about the size of a small car so be careful.