1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

3 on the column, I am on the floor.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 06:38 AM
jwcorder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 on the column, I am on the floor.

Ok so I got this 70 F100. 302, 3 on the column. It belonged to bro and I am "starting" to restore. I am going slow to go right and because of lack of funds. Anyway, the two main problems I have at the moment is that first, I got full play in the column. So I got a puller, pulled the steering wheel, disassembled the steering column down to the shifter and didn't see any issues. Well except for the fact that given a slight pull I can remove the entire shifting rod from the steering column.

I can however change gears at the gearbox under the master cylinder. I know this is noob of me, but I know nothing of column shifters. I believe my problem lies between the shifting column and what I would call the gearbox. The end of the column doesn't show any breakage that I can identify but it's not grabbing gears either.

Any ideas? How to fix? Where to get parts? I can post some pictures if my description lacks, and once again thanks for tolerating my lack of knowledge on column shifters.

Man I wish Haynes would make a repair manual.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:45 AM
markjw
Senior User
My '70 f100 column shifted three speed was also very sloppy. Rebuilding the thing seemed like my only option...Then one day at the boneyard while sitting in a truck very simular to mine, trying to decide if I really needed another set of "near mint" window crank handles It occured to me that the stearing column I had my hand on was a column shifted three speed minus the shifting lever. Someone in the past had made the four speed conversion. For fifteen bucks and about twenty minuts time the column was mine...I figured even if I needed to rebuild this one, I could take my time as now I had two.Turned out The junk yard column was near new, at least on the inside...My truck now shifts like an Italian sports car. I'd say check the boneyards. It may be your best bet for an easy, hastle free solution.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:46 AM
billemc
Senior User
There are nylon bushings and a few other parts at the bottom of the shifting rod. There are also some little bearings on either end of the rod. All these parts are available at Dennis C. I completely rebuilt mine for under about 30 bux or so. It is easy to understand once you get it apart. Hope this helps. Billemc

Old 12-01-2005, 10:38 AM
jwcorder
Senior User
Thank you, that's what I thought as well but I am in the twilight zone on this.

I will check out Carpenter.

Thanks.