1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

fuse block/fuse panel location on 54 f100

Old 11-27-2005, 07:40 PM
bradoemba
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuse block/fuse panel location on 54 f100

As I stated a few weeks ago, an electrical fire is causing me to rewire the whole truck. Based on the fire, it's obvious that this should have been done already. Anyway, I plan on installing a complete aftermarket harness (Painless, EZ wire, etc.) and am looking for recommendations regarding the location of the fuse panel.

I can't seem to find in the shop manual where the original location is, and my cootie-bobbin (sp?) current install has a fuse block bolted to the front of the heater ducting. Some of the kits mention installing it remotely behind the seat. (And they mention using the 'mini' fuses for this, too - any thoughts on mini vs normal?)

Your thoughts, and ideally pictures, would be much appreciated. I will likely have it professionally done (thank you insurance!), which means I won't be able to spend quality time on my back under the dash figuring out the best spot myself. And I know many of you have already been there.

Few more notes to help. It has a Brand X big-block, auto tranny, electric fuel pump and fans, electric choke, basic AM/FM/CD player. No power anything, but I plan on getting the bigger panel for future electrical accessory expansion.

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2005, 09:06 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check this thread out. It should help you out.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=432173

hotrod48

Old 11-27-2005, 10:20 PM
bradoemba
Senior User
Good info - thanks. Still hard to tell what the most common paractice is. If I were to guess from what I've read, it looks like driver side firewall. Other comments appreciated.

Thanks again.
Brad

Old 11-28-2005, 11:32 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Brad,
As you can tell from the other thread, I'm in the same boat here. I think I will look at either just to the left of the steering column or maybe in the left side kick panel.

I want it accessible but not hangin out in plain site either........anyone have a magic wand?? the batteries seem to have died in mine

Bobby

Old 11-28-2005, 03:02 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
I have looked at all the major brands with and without the mini-fuse. These are for mini-cars or for younguns with 20-20 vision IMO. My hands are bigger than the average 9 year old anyway. I also do not like laying on my old back or hanging upside down under the dash due to age. I did my last Ford with a hinged panel under dash and 1 foot extra wire to allow the drop. This time I am putting behind the seat on drivers side and I am mounting it sideways so that I can read the fuse labels without twisting around. I am using a Glide Engineering seat that lays forward. This method only took me 20 years to get right. What was I thinking in the past??? The panel I have is a Highway22 and is the best at the lowest cost. You should investigate this one.

Old 11-28-2005, 04:12 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm using the EZ mini 21 circuit, the fuse block is about the size of 2 cigarette packs setting on top one another, about 1/2 the size of the std block. The block has mounting tabs on the back that fit into keyhole slots. I cut a mounting plate out of 16ga and bolted it to the side of the hanging pedal support. Takes about a second to pop it off the mount or put it back. Don't know what eyesight has to do with the size of the fuse block since all the wires are marked every couple inches and the block cover has the layout printed on it.
Ford didn't use a fuse panel <'57 just a couple circuit breakers.

Old 11-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The previous owner installed a California Rewire box under the dash just to the right of the E brake. It is out of site and easy to get to. Good luck, Jag

Old 11-28-2005, 11:56 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
AX, eyesight is somewhat an issue when trying to look at the fuse itself removing and replacing and seeing if they are burned out all while turned upside down under a dark dash. Most of us older guys would have experienced this at one time or another. I have them in all my new cars and they are a bit to small especiallly when there is a choice. Perhaps size does matter at times huh?? Again, imo

Last edited by El Cabron; 11-29-2005 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:17 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I put mine on the upper firewall to the right of the steering column. I like it there because it is easier to get to than if it were on the left side of the column...

Vern

Old 11-30-2005, 08:33 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
ElC,
My eyes aint what they used to be either, that's why I was happy to find the snap in mounting arrangement on my panel box. Reach up and release the lock clip, slide it up 1/4" and the entire block is in my hand where I can bring it out and look at it. I figure that I'm not likely to be needing to replace fuses very often with all new wiring. I can't remember the last time I needed to replace a fuse on any of my vehicles, but it's been long enough that the only replacement ones I have around are the glass tube type, and those will soon end up in the garbage can when I move my parts stash into the garage.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:19 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Hey AX, some of the non-darksiders among us may have a use for those glass tube fuses. Jag

Old 11-30-2005, 09:25 AM
hotrod48
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
Hey AX, some of the non-darksiders among us may have a use for those glass tube fuses. Jag
That's what I was thinking, we have two rods that still have them.

hotrod48

Old 11-30-2005, 09:35 AM
amish77
Cargo Master
the location the others are talkin' about is where nmine is on the 77. I would put it there with this idea in mind. You can sit on the ground(weather permitting) with your legs under the truck and your torso in the opened doorway. If you put the fuse block to the right of the e-brake, you might be able to pull this off, which is the most comfortable fuse location, no contortionist tricks to get to or anything.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:27 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
OK, As soon as my garage is finished I'll collect all the usable but no longer want to store stuff I've collected over the past 30 or so years and have a garage warming free grab bag sale. Pay the postage get a package of assorted "stuff". If you're like me it'll be a second Xmas!
PS: if y'all are lightsiders whatcha gonna due with glass fuses? They weren't OEM.

Old 11-30-2005, 03:21 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
For me there are a couple used in the 55 Fairlane. Also, I have some inline fuses I've used over the years for radios and CBs. AX, I have a vintage Olympia Beer can on the shelf taking up space. Wanta trade? Jag

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuse block/fuse panel location on 54 f100